Pulling a Hali anchor setup

Macdeep

So I built a Hali anchor system- 600ft rope, ~30ft chain and a 10lb danforth anchor (not 100% it’s 10lb), big Scotsman with the SS ring, crab float to jam in the ring with 30ft safety line that’s on a slider from the bow to stern line.

It works great to set up and hold a boat in the current. Worked with a work boat (21ft thunder jet aluminum) and holds my Malibu 182 glass boat.

My trouble is pulling the anchor. I loop around and head up current to avoid getting the line in the prop. The Scotsman does its dance as I pass it and give it full throttle. I giver for a while till it seems like the anchor should be at the buoy but when I start pulling line from the surface, when I get to the Scotsman the anchor is never there and I always have to pull the last bit by hand which is ok I guess but I’ve been on guided trips where the SS loop catches rhe anchor and when you get to the Scotsman you just lift the chain in and then you’re there.

Any tips to get the anchor and chain all the way to the Scotsman and save me 200ft of pulling?

Here’s some pics of my set up.

Not spliced to the chain, just a link to loop if you will. See photos.

But ya I guess I just have to pull longer and wait for the “change” in the waves around the Scotsman?

I’ve YouTubed it but not sure if my anchor and chain is too heavy with how hard my boat can pull or? Will definitely be practicing more this seasons.

Attachments

• IMG_7136.jpeg
    IMG_7136.jpeg
    431.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_7137.jpeg
    IMG_7137.jpeg
    258.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7139.jpeg
    IMG_7139.jpeg
    449.8 KB · Views: 136

But ya I guess I just have to pull longer and wait for the “change” in the waves around the Scotsman?

I’ve YouTubed it but not sure if my anchor and chain is too heavy with how hard my boat can pull or? Will definitely be practicing more this seasons.
That quick link connection is fine - no need for a splice. It will pass through fine the ring just fine.

Sometimes if there is a bit of chop the anchor can let go when you introduce slack on recovery. Maybe you are also thinking it’s up and it if fact just the link hooking on the ring? Once it dives give her a good long pull and maybe some extra throttle? Important to make sure the connection to the chain can’t hang up on your Scotsman ring.

The only thing I can think of is maybe that thinner ring is getting stuck on the anchor/chain where it connects. Pretty sure my rings are 3/8” thick.

Attachments

• IMG_2581.jpeg
    IMG_2581.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
Sometimes if there is a bit of chop the anchor can let go when you introduce slack on recovery. Maybe you are also thinking it’s up and it if fact just the link hooking on the ring? Once it dives give her a good long pull and maybe some extra throttle? Important to make sure the connection to the chain can’t hang up on your Scotsman ring.
Ya it was flat as yesterday when i was playing around.

Was at max throttle but the boat was a struggling lol

Gave it a pull for what I thought was far enough but perhaps I need to pull longer.

Got one more weekend and a few more evenings to play around before I head out on a trip where I’ll want to be dialed in.

Nothing wrong with that I have 2 links like that and never a problem, as I add and remove links of rode. You dont need to go screeming fast either just a nice even pace you will know it is hittting chain as the scotsman wil bob up and down going thru it.

Nothing wrong with that I have 2 links like that and never a problem, as I add and remove links of rode. You dont need to go screeming fast either just a nice even pace you will know it is hittting chain as the scotsman wil bob up and down going thru it.
Roger dodger- I’ll just have to practice I guess. Get a visual sense of 400 vs 600ft and get a sense of what the Scotsman does when it hooks up properly.

Here comes another excuse to get out next weekend 👍

I'd get more chain so there is more weight to counter the anchor slipping back through the ring. Also consider switching to a bruce/claw anchor as the the fluke of your current danforth style anchor maybe not letting the ring slip all the wy up.

I'd get more chain so there is more weight to counter the anchor slipping back through the ring. Also consider switching to a bruce/claw anchor as the the fluke of your current danforth style anchor maybe not letting the ring slip all the wy up.
I do have another 10-15ft of chain available.

Will the different anchor style make a real difference?

You have almost identical system as mine . You just need to pull longer maybe even a bit faster mine works fine the first I did it I had the same issue as you . next time i pulled it longer like mentioned above, you will notice a difference in the bouy .. if not sure pull it even longer

A huge Scotchman isn't necessary. I pull a 4kg rocna with about 20' of chain using a G5 polyform bumper.

Last edited:
While we are on this topic, anybody have any problems with the scotchman dragging when you first start your pull? I find it drags 40ft behind the boat at first. I have to slow down and get someone to tug the anchor line until the scotchman pops up more upright. Smooth after that though

Back