Gibbs Half Jig Hooks

Bifmalibu

I've been trying out the Gibbs half jigs. I removed the trebles because of all the undersize fish around but I don't like how my hooks are sitting on the split ring. Any suggestions? Could I remove the split ring and pinch a hook right on the ring on the jig? Would it affect the way it drops?IMG_1744.jpeg

Are you trying up-eye hooks, like octopus hooks? Those won’t hang straight from a lure, split ring or not. Use straight-eye hooks, like siwash hooks. Open eye siwash hooks are easiest to attach; use pliers to pinch the eye closed over the split ring.

It's a girth issue:rolleyes:. The hooks I have are too small to rotate freely around the split ring. I'm using 4/0 Gammys. I'll see what they have at HC tomorrow.

Gotcha. If HC doesn’t have open siwash in the size you need, Gone Fishn usually has a good assortment. Usually.

This question is exactly what is being discussed on the High Tech Jigging thread. Many people like the Shimano Flatfall jigs and similar that come rigged with dual assist hooks (I don't know if you are familiar - 2 hooks like gam. but rigged on braid). Dual assist works well for hooking and holding fish but most people find it can cause injury to fish you want to release. I have been trying single 2/0 or 4/0 gam. hooks rigged on cord - which rarely causes problems for releasing fish, but others have gone to a siwash style hook crimped to a barrel swivel then attached to jig with split ring as pretty much the best combination of keeping fish hooked and avoiding major injury to fish you need to release. Its definitely an interesting question

Back