Property Assessments

Up 200,000 over last year. 3 blocks from hillside mall in Victoria. We paid 160,000 in 1995. Not a bad investment

Ours is up 250k a solid 25% increase. I don't read too much into though as when we were shopping around with a view to downsize everyone else's asking price had no bearing on things like assessed value. I felt everything was overpriced for what we looked at.

Up 517k this year for me. Built in 2018 for about 875k. Not sure what is going on but I’m sure glad I own real estate right now. If I were to sell today I’d get twice what I have into the place in 3 years.

Your balance sheet may look strong but unless you plan to cash out and move to Prince George, its only going to benefit your kids and give municipal governments more of your personal wealth thru taxation to squander on special interest groups and other forms of mismanagement. Can you imagine over the last ten years how much in additional home tax the city of vancouver has generated? And they still don't have enough for their progressive ideas....

Property taxes are a great cash grab by the Govt soon no mortgages are needed just need to finance the property taxes , if you own a home your in the game forever and taxes is what you'll pay

Does the big increase have something to do with the vacancy tax that exists in certain areas? Don't remember if that was assessment based but it would make sense.

It's really screwed up, our adult kids can never afford to buy a house in the city they were born in until mom and dad pack it in.
It’s the same here in the okanagan Scott my wife and I bought 3 years ago I’m 36 now, we bought a manufactured house built in 1994 2 bed and 2 bath with yard and shop and etc. 148k and 3 years later worth 275k atleast maybe even more wouldn’t last 2 days on the market! The stupid thing is all it’s gonna do is drive the young people away to “cheaper” yet crappier areas or even further east! My parents house a beater bought in 1988 for 190k is assessed at 860k now and it’s a tear down! Can’t buy a beater for less then 650-700k and it’ll need 150k in upgrades atleast!

the wages dont follow these numbers and yes guys will argue work harder , get a better job blah blah blah, at the end of the day though EVERYONE should be able to work towards owning a home not just hoping and praying they get a gift from
Their parents!

2015 for 360k. Insanity.

when we bought our first house in 2013, we looked at many foreclosures the market was in the dumps.

it was awkward looking at houses with people still in them.

I regret not buying one but we ended up buying a new townhouse for 330 and got a 10k HST rebate and new buyers grant

Last edited:
Nope. Common ways to determine assessed value: land book value plus depreciated construction costs (rarely used because irrelevant), recent, comparable sales in your area (most accurate reflection)and (your insurance company favorite): estimated replacement cost of buildings plus lot value. B.C. Assessment follows building permits very closely.
Basically a portion of this - a few years ago I actually appealed our assessment in Burnaby -came prepared with multiple copies of detailed reports showing our house was basically a teardown (based on age, what everyone else was doing) and there was no way an increase of X% (cant remember actual value) was justified - in the end they denied it with something along the lines of "the legislation doesn't allow us to split the assessment between land/buildings. They only show a breakout for illustrative purposes and it's the total value that matters". Too bad they never actually say that on the assessment, would have saved me the time/hassle.

Back