Property Assessments

Ours is up $150,000. Still 200,000 less than what places are selling for.

my parents went up 600,000 and they live in maple ridge where property taxes are already very high. So that’s not gonna be fun

300k here

about a 40% increase
Whaaaaaaat?! That's crazy.

We're up 10% which seems to be the average in Vancouver. One thing I don't understand is the building value has gone up by 10% as well. I thought those always went down over time.

$2 089 000 for a 42x120 lot in a peat bog with no view and a sinking 50s bungalow. Crazy that most of my neighbors have owned since the late 90s early 2000s when these properties were probably selling for $200 000 - $300 000

went from 780 000 to 1 080 000

we paid 825 for it in 2020 and nabours places are selling 1mill to 1.25 mill

Ours is up 20%. From $402k to $512000. Up substantially from a low of $169k when we bought 10 years ago. Apparently property tax looks like how we’ll pay for all those Covid benefits.

Well I guess the good news is that the mill rate will drop accordingly in a perfect world. Taxes always go up, but not often in double digits. Usually the mill rate is set based on the operating budget required and assessments. Higher assessments = lower mill rate to secure funding required. You just really have to worry if your place jumps up higher than the rest of the neighbourhood, if not you should just see whatever % increase your municipality has settled on.

A lot of really weird stuff happening on assessments this year.

-Huge increases in building values (with no actual change in the building)
-my neighbours house was assessed at 1.2 mil for the building...only problem is that on July 1st there wasn't even a building there at all, just a hole in the ground!!
-Our building was valued at 40 percent more than we payed to build it (completed in 2021).

I think they're going to have their hands full with disputes this year.

Whaaaaaaat?! That's crazy.

We're up 10% which seems to be the average in Vancouver. One thing I don't understand is the building value has gone up by 10% as well. I thought those always went down over time.

$2 089 000 for a 42x120 lot in a peat bog with no view and a sinking 50s bungalow. Crazy that most of my neighbors have owned since the late 90s early 2000s when these properties were probably selling for $200 000 - $300 000
You don’t understand why building values have gone up??
I can tell you lumber and other material prices in the last year have gone up. Trust me, I’ve been a builder for months now… I know my stuff.

You don’t understand why building values have gone up??
I can tell you lumber and other material prices in the last year have gone up. Trust me, I’ve been a builder for months now… I know my stuff.

do you use used lumber and windows?? how about drywall with asbestos in it

pretty sure they just base it on its current value not replacement value. Also pretty sure unless you report upgrades and stuff they just use the squar footage and date it was built

If replacement values go up than current values will go up as well.

People will pay more for an acceptable old house if the cost to replace/build is even higher.

do you use used lumber and windows?? how about drywall with asbestos in it

pretty sure they just base it on its current value not replacement value. Also pretty sure unless you report upgrades and stuff they just use the squar footage and date it was built
Nope. Common ways to determine assessed value: land book value plus depreciated construction costs (rarely used because irrelevant), recent, comparable sales in your area (most accurate reflection)and (your insurance company favorite): estimated replacement cost of buildings plus lot value. B.C. Assessment follows building permits very closely.

Back