Prawning rope tangle?

ElectricDyck

Hi, been getting into prawning and have picked it up from stuff I learned on the web and after a few years of trying, losing a trap, buying a puller and no prawns I'm finally starting to figure it out and have some success :) But still must be missing something..

My set up is all leaded line and I have a cannonball quick linked onto a loop tied into the rope 20 feet on the float side of the trap. I have a scotty puller and the problem we re having is every time we pull the trap we get major line twisting above the cannon ball. If we leave it after 3 pull/drops its one big twist on top of the trap. In our minds the tension while pulling it up is forcing all the tension and twist of the rope down to the cannon ball? Almost like we need a swivel or something, I searched and nobody puts one of those in so maybe we re doing something wrong?

Its not a huge deal just a pain in the butt, any help appreciated!

My suggestion would be to try it without the cannon ball first off. If it's new line it might just need to be used and stretched to get it to lay right after being on a tight spool. This could take a few pulls.

When putting out your traps, you need some tension on the rope while motoring forward to lay everything in a long line.

If you let everything out out too fast the cannon ball goes down too fast getting ahead of the traps and twisting the line on the way down.

If I ever get line twist I will find water deeper than my rope length an hook a cannon ball to the end of the rope, letting it all out and give it a few minutes to unwind
Just the rope and cannonball, no traps

When putting out your traps, you need some tension on the rope while motoring forward to lay everything in a long line.

If you let everything out out too fast the cannon ball goes down too fast getting ahead of the traps and twisting the line on the way down.
That's how I was taught and never any problems I even have line weights on my line because I use poly. No tension and you will have a rats nest

Thanks for all the replys, I was dropping them under power in a line but letting the rope pull itself out of my tote, I'll try holding it back a bit. I'll also try dropping just a cannon ball and give it some time to unwind, it's probably just new rope. I just braided 200' of poly to 250' of leaded today for another string so we'll see if it has the same problem.. Thanks for the tips and good luck out there!

Put some weight in your traps, or more weight if you have some in there. Cut down on the helicopter spiraling of the traps on the way down following the cannon ball.

Just a suggestion from a guy who used to fish halibut commercially and we had to coil down every skate of gear. Most rope likes to be coiled in a "clock-wise" direction. You can coil it backwards but you will get a weird "flip" every so often. I coil all rope clockwise...always.

Also if your line is new and still stiff, consider hooking a Scotchman float to one end of your coil and setting it out then hook the other end to the boat. Give it a good tow for a while so the line gets a good stretch. New line has memory and the more it is stretched and then stretched and worn by going through your hauler the less it will twist. Used commercial prawn line coils like a hot damn because it has been stretched lots.

Back