Prawning/Crabbing around Keats Island

Red Monster

Anyone know about crabbing or prawning around Keats? I think I'll take my boys over to Plumper Cove overnight.
Thanks

There is decent prawning just to the east of Plumper and around Soames Point, across the way. Also good crabbing over by Grantham's Landing, in about 25' of water, straight across from Plumper.

Okay, the boys were begging to drop the traps so a little overnight trip to Plumper with a few new spots to try will be lots of fun.
Thanks

Well we caught a few prawns around Keats only dropping two traps overnight. I'm guessing the area would produce very well earlier in the season. Thanks for the input guys.

They love prawns!

Attachments

• DSCN0952.jpg
    DSCN0952.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCN0956.jpg
    DSCN0956.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 302
  • DSCN0958.jpg
    DSCN0958.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 303
do you guys sleep in the boat or camp? I have two kids similar age and trying to figure out how and where to do overnight trips with them. Mine are 6 and 8.

paiges marina in silva is a descent spot to take them, I took mine over a few weeks back,
they loved it, stay in the boat, tent or rent a cabin its all there

We slept on the boat for one night and were very excited about it. There's a campground at Keats as well, which I may check out next time. A cabin would be way easier than the boat, but it was still fun sleeping on the anchor. Soon they won't fit in the cuddy.

Nice prawn - I was wondering what the markers were - the only ones I saw pulled up were too far away to see.

I was up at Keats last weekend camping (my parents take us on their boat). The campsites are very nice though its water from an old school pump (with boil advisory) and outhouses. Campsite was not even close to full. We had #1 this time and it was awesome (overlooking the water). Its on a first come basis but rarely (if ever full) I think one time we were up, they might have had overflow in the orchard but that might have also been because the people arrived late - that was 2 years ago so I can't recall the details.

The fellow on the boat next to us dropped some crab traps and got three keepers, the fellow that dropped off the dock just got a large female.

Not to hijack a thread but anyone know a prawn spot near Tunstall bay? I have a little dingy but my range is limited to my rowing at the moment (or my rowing with a stubborn engine off the back at times!). Looking at the depth and thought maybe offshore towards Roger Curtis or even right at the mouth of the Bay (barely deep enough?) but both are fairly busy with trolling boats at times so I'm hesitant but those prawns look so awesome, I want to try now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back