Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

All I can say is wow. What an insane week up in Renfrew. Weather was awsome. Numbers of fish like I have never seen but only heard of. Wave after wave of big springs on the beach and of course the action out on the bank...........
Told my buddy he doesn't have to plan a trip to the Charlottes after a trip like we had.
Great time when you get to take a good haul of big springs back home and realease even more than you can keep track of.

Damn damn damn. Friends were at Renfrew over the past weekend for the annual trip I'm usually on, but the dates didn't work for me this year, went to Ukie in June instead. I didn't get the action I was hoping for but the boys sure did.

Had a great time in Renfrew this weekend at the 11th Davey Derby which raises a lot of $ for great charities. First time in it and found out it has a ton of prizes - will be in it again next year. Managed to catch 9 springs in 2.5 days fishing the beach at Camper and Logan, including a 39.1 lb'er that won first prize (a new 9.9 Yammy kicker):D

The weather was great with some of the calmest water i've ever seen out there. Lots of good size springs coming in from the banks as well.
View attachment 1760

Once again, congratulations Chris on winning this years' Davey Derby. Please contact me at audie@daveyderby.ca We forgot to give you the 1rst place trophy!
Thanks
Audie

Had a great time in Renfrew this weekend at the 11th Davey Derby which raises a lot of $ for great charities. First time in it and found out it has a ton of prizes - will be in it again next year. Managed to catch 9 springs in 2.5 days fishing the beach at Camper and Logan, including a 39.1 lb'er that won first prize (a new 9.9 Yammy kicker):D

The weather was great with some of the calmest water i've ever seen out there. Lots of good size springs coming in from the banks as well.
View attachment 1760

Congrats Chris, nice fish and prize !

View attachment 1760

Impressive weekend for you indeed Larry. Even when we had a double header your rod was first to go off.

Esperanza in two weeks...my house! lol You better bring that same game if you wanna keep up.

First time in renfrew this past weekend. 2nd time for my fishin buddy, WOW what scenery , met lots of great people, and topped it with a 32 on sunday morn at sunrise. doesnt get any better for a couple of rookies. thanks to all for your tips

reminder (posted separately in the forum) - we are looking to fill a couple of charter spots with outfitters on Saturday $310 for the trip, we also have the house and a meal cooked by gourmet chef (cost extra) - send enquiries to civil@shaw.ca or post here. Bunch of mostly upper 30's guys :)

Best day of spring fishing i've had i almost 20yrs of guiding put the rods in at logan at around 630 and it went off we pulled the plug around 1230 and played over 25 springs .Non stop action all day! largest was just a tad over 30 and most were 22 to 25lbs. 27- 30ft was the magic depth.

Offshore was still fireing on all cylinders with the boys getting quick limits of springs , coho and haly.

Hope it keeps going. There were a couple 40's caught on tues morn, myself and the optimist were the blind squirles.

Hey banana man

we missed you on the weekend. Were you around? Didn't see you out there Sat Sun Mon but holy hell the fishing was hot.

Three days in a row was like that for us. One after another all mid to high twenties. We lost count after 40 or so big slabs.

Hopefully we'll see you up that way yet this summer

Talk soon

HL

yup i was out at the bank all those days to stay away from the weekend crowds.Hope to see you next time.

or 40's if they count you Dave LOL

Smiley66

nope, not there yet big guy....still 1 spot available - he's heading up in the morning, so don't bother emailing to the address given. $200 or it goes to waste. We can figure out house cost if you are interested with that part of it.

yup i was out at the bank all those days to stay away from the weekend crowds.Hope to see you next time.

LOL.... I know what you mean. I thought I may have seen you out on the bank but wasn't sure. It was a zoo Sunday. We hit the beach late Sun and all of Monday. Had the falls to ourselves. Awsome!

BTW- your voice mail was limited out. ...... must be nice to be so popular ;)

Catch you later

HL

A couple new Port Renfrew videos, showing off the fun to be had on Swiftsure Bank these days. We were fishing with Blair, Swell Time Fishing.
In case embedding doesn't work, Video#1: http://youtu.be/YpOA-ZhVKwY Video #2: http://youtu.be/YpOA-ZhVKwY

Good times!

[BAZK7EZ5XkM] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAZK7EZ5XkM

[hFY2H-Ni3jQ] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFY2H-Ni3jQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Best day of spring fishing i've had i almost 20yrs of guiding put the rods in at logan at around 630 and it went off we pulled the plug around 1230 and played over 25 springs .Non stop action all day! largest was just a tad over 30 and most were 22 to 25lbs. 27- 30ft was the magic depth.

Offshore was still fireing on all cylinders with the boys getting quick limits of springs , coho and haly.

Hope it keeps going. There were a couple 40's caught on tues morn, myself and the optimist were the blind squirles.

I'm interested to know if these Springs are primarily wild or hatchery ?

Trev and the others who hit it daily would have more accurate info but of the fourty or so slabs we hooked into were a mixed bag from obviously different runs. Some were hatchery, some were whites, some were footballs and even others were stretched out kenai looking things. Some were bright silver while others had that beautiful irridescent purple hue to them. A couple were even the light gold Colour we see from Nitinat fish.
Not very helpful I know but everything was out there it seemed last weekend.

Hl

Trev and the others who hit it daily would have more accurate info but of the fourty or so slabs we hooked into were a mixed bag from obviously different runs. Some were hatchery, some were whites, some were footballs and even others were stretched out kenai looking things. Some were bright silver while others had that beautiful irridescent purple hue to them. A couple were even the light gold Colour we see from Nitinat fish.
Not very helpful I know but everything was out there it seemed last weekend.

Hl

Thanks, good info :)

Back