Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

The run to Swiftsure from Rennie is approx. 20 miles, depending where on the bank you are fishing. If you dont know what part to fish, just find where others are fishing.
While I dont advocate tailing others while they fish, Swiftsure can be a nasty place, and another boat in the area can offer assistance in an emergency. You are a long ways away from help all alone out there

Thanks hoochiebob We are used to going offshore to highway out of nootka and esperanza but never been to swiftshore. Looking froward to it.

cheers
Peter

Lots of fish on Swiftsure right now, and some bigger ones if you take time to pick through them, but should be easy limits for all. 602 spoons were working for me, but really, it didn't seem to matter. The Chicken Ranch was a great place to start for halis and salmon.

Please mind the weather and be safe out there!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spring salmon everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!! swiftsure was on fire today with many 20 to 30lb fish and short order.The beach was excellent at daylight and turned on huge from 11am until late afternoon with most boats limiting out. Flat Flat calm.

Super good day at Swiftsure ... ditto to Banana's report, could barely keep the gear down. Plus halibut up to 30 lbs, caught within minutes of dropping the gear. Good times!
swelltime.jpg

102_0059_800x450.jpg

PS some props owing ... Blair from Swell Time Charters guided us into these ... don't want to give a false impression of DIY. ;-)

But today would have been totally do-able in my "little" boat ... dead calm and like "shooting fish in a barrel". A guy was out there in a 16.5' campion!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nuts I say Nuts that is fishing at its finest. Trev that was one great day, all big whites that fought like hell. Coho on the trout rods is way to much fun also..

For the anglers planning on going to the banks make sure you are ready for fog and big water, I read on hear about anglers wanting to head out its not like other areas, it can change very quick. it can be very nice while out at the ranch and a **** show on your way home. Kelly get back up here...

On fire is all I can say. It was nonstop action on the bank today and yesterday. Not one coho today for us but prob 30 of them while trying to get springs on sat. We got into at least 12 springs a day 12-20 lbs for the few hrs targeting. Nothing big for us this trip out. Hali was unbelievable. Literally drop the gear and bang. Flat calm sunny weather. Made for a great trip even after trailer tongue broke on way through sombrio on way to renny, but was able to rig it up with straps and limp to marina. Thanks to bud for lending me a grinder and drill etc to mount it back on properly as it should have been the first time! Nice to meet few of you forum members up there and put face to the name!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, all you lucky dogs over there.

Leave a couple for the weekend, I can't wait to get back. Heading there with my kids for some hopefully still great fishing.

Congats on catching such nice fish.

Lots of fish to share, the Sockeye test boats start tonight we will see how they make out tonight, the number we are looking for is 1200 then it should open here. Gillnet boats first then the seine next week. non stop action today, Coho on the 6.6 ugly sticks is just too much fun, cast a croc and see how much fun these fish are. Trotac has big catch and release nets they are great for fishing the banks they are easy on the fish,,, recommend highly

Lots of fish to share, the Sockeye test boats start tonight we will see how they make out tonight, the number we are looking for is 1200 then it should open here. Gillnet boats first then the seine next week. non stop action today, Coho on the 6.6 ugly sticks is just too much fun, cast a croc and see how much fun these fish are. Trotac has big catch and release nets they are great for fishing the banks they are easy on the fish,,, recommend highly

Thanks for the update Hourston......Keep us posted on any updates on the numbers if you hear anything.....

Was up for the day yesterday. Fished camper and hit 8 springs with hatch coho in the mix. When the bite was on it was fast and furious. Arrived at 8 and hit our first fish just setting up. Real bite started about 10. was alot of fun with my daughter who played the fish like a pro. Fish are full of needlefish. One of my best days with flat water and a mix of sun through the fog. Bear on the beach made for a perfect day. For those new to renfrew launching at the marina, follow someone out as the river is lower than I remember from prior years.

Was up for the day yesterday. Fished camper and hit 8 springs with hatch coho in the mix. When the bite was on it was fast and furious. Arrived at 8 and hit our first fish just setting up. Real bite started about 10. was alot of fun with my daughter who played the fish like a pro. Fish are full of needlefish. One of my best days with flat water and a mix of sun through the fog. Bear on the beach made for a perfect day. For those new to renfrew launching at the marina, follow someone out as the river is lower than I remember from prior years.
The river may have been lower then previous years because the tide was out. It is a brackish section of the river and fluctuates in height with the tide. Be aware of the tide height when you are trying to either come or go and you will have no problem!

Heading out in the AM for a few weeks. Going to test out the new Islanders and hopefully will have some good reports to post over he next few weeks? See ya on the water.....Anybody fishing in the Derby next weekend?

Back