Port Renfrew Reports -- Spring and Summer 2011

Good morning bite on the beach but then it turned off. At swiftsure and a few more springs but mostly teeners but the springs turned off too after a while. Hali very slow today even at the chicken ranch. Saw very few decent fish at the bank being landed. Water on the bank was nice, the ride out a bit bumpy. Nice surprises were 4 out of 6 coho were clipped and a really nice yelloweye on salmon plug. Go figure.

And for the crazy category, we saw an open 14' Lund boat at the bank. Nuts.

Good morning bite on the beach but then it turned off. At swiftsure and a few more springs but mostly teeners but the springs turned off too after a while. Hali very slow today even at the chicken ranch. Saw very few decent fish at the bank being landed. Water on the bank was nice, the ride out a bit bumpy. Nice surprises were 4 out of 6 coho were clipped and a really nice yelloweye on salmon plug. Go figure.

And for the crazy category, we saw an open 14' Lund boat at the bank. Nuts.

here he be
281917_10150247023245658_622875657_7990193_1390449_n.jpg

our days worth
226169_10150247023310658_622875657_7990196_6388599_n.jpg

still awesome crabbing out there

I normally fish the banks off Ukee but we want to try Port Renfrew for a change.Its been about 10 years since I have fished there.I would like to hear from someone about the ramp.I have 10.2 camper and pull a Malibu 182 Im not fond of steep ramps..any info would be great thx.

youll be fine. I can pull my grady out with a 2wd truck, just try to use a higher tide.

I put my 2007 2301 Striper. It's big compared to yours. No problem. I drive my boat onto my trailer. Again no problem with depth. As per usual trim your motor up a tad though while doing so. Only issue is the dock ........short..... Rex if your listening......LOL........ works fine though. Youll definitely be OK.

I normally fish the banks off Ukee but we want to try Port Renfrew for a change.Its been about 10 years since I have fished there.I would like to hear from someone about the ramp.I have 10.2 camper and pull a Malibu 182 Im not fond of steep ramps..any info would be great thx.

I launched there lots of times with my camper and my last boat was a 182 and you'll be fine. Like was already mentioned the more water makes it a bit easier with the short dock space but not an issue if you aren't alone anyways.....

Just got back tonight from a couple of weeks in Renfrew. My kids and I had a great time. The fishing on the banks was great, when I could get out there. My boat is only 18', so I have to be selective as to what days I make the run out. Yesterday was a blast on the NE corner of the banks. I brought out a couple of 6-7 weight fly rods and I introduced my son to bucktailing for coho. He had a great time playing Cohos on the fly rods and bucktails I had tied. Tons of Pinks to amuse the kids as well. Hali fishing was also very good whenever we made it out to the bank.

Oh ya, saw a lot of cool things out there. The strangest had to be when my son brought up a 6' long Wolfeel while we were Hali fishing. Thankfully he was able to shake the lure free without having to touch the creepy critter. Man, I sure wouldn't have wanted to try to get a hook out of one of those things while it was writhing around. Way cool to see one up close though.

Just got back from a Renfrew trip as well. Made it out to the bank 2 days and easily got our limits both days with bunch of guys on board our boat. Most of our success was on big plugs (6-7") in deeper water (200 ft or so) when targeting bigger springs. Tons of coho near the surface as well. We did stay in tight to the beaches one morning but things were pretty slow compared to the swiftsure. will be making another trip out that way soon.

We just got back as well..I did not get out to Swiftsure as my GPS was giving me problems..We fished Owen point to Camper Bay..I would say the fishing was pretty slow..I got one at Camper after about 2 hours of trolling..I weighed it at 22..we then trolled back towards Owen and after 6 hours we did get our limit ..They where twins of the first..My wife and I are used to the banks off Ukee where on a normal day you should have your limit within an hour or two..Non the less it was a fun change for us..I did loose a ball just west of Owen..The sounder showed 70 feet we had the balls at 45 and 55..Both downriggers caught something and the deep one snapped..The chart showed nothing..I have no idea what I hit ??

Thats a nasty mushroom shaped reef we believe is part of an old ship in fact there is two of them in that area., The beach has been very good over the last few weeks and has not slowed down, it all depends on where you are fishing the beach. The last few nights east point has been red hot. Logan also. Renfrew has great fishing but it takes some time to learn the areas..

Thanks Hourston,I thought there may be something like that there. The Lowrance and a paper chart show nothing. Contrary to Jackel's helpfull remark I was not on the bottom..We really like the friendly atmospere at the marina Iam sure we will be back.

Second day back at work after my three week stint at the new cabin in Renfrew. I had my boat at the new docks for WCC and it was nice not having to deal with the river! I got to meat Kelly from Last Chance on the dock early one morning last week and got to talk a bit of fishing. Always nice to meet someone from the forum.

Like Hourston and others have mentioned it definitely takes time to know the spots day to day especially when you are beach fishing. In the past I have alway been a weekend warrior and put lots of hours in in a short time to make the most of it. Now that we have a place to stay I actually got to do some "Sport Fishing" lol which was nice. Unless I had company with me I mostly fished the tide changes and did well most days anywhere from East Point to Logan and always did well offshore.....especially with those small tides a week or so ago.

All in all I would say the beach fishing was some of the best I have ever had anywhere....not just Renfrew. I had one morning at East Point in Pea Soup fog and an absolute killer day at Logan with some first timers that will be remembered as 'EPIC' for sure.

I did notice towards the end of my trip I was having a lot of short hits......I mean a lot! We always seemed to get are fair share to the boat so I didn't change my set up at all but was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. I wasn't running a stinger hook but really started to consider doing it.

All in all another great trip to the coast and can't wait to get back! Keep the reports coming......especially for those of us that are "fishing challenged" right now being so far from the coast.....lol

Greg

Thanks Hourston,I thought there may be something like that there. The Lowrance and a paper chart show nothing. Contrary to Jackel's helpfull remark I was not on the bottom..We really like the friendly atmospere at the marina Iam sure we will be back.

Hey Frango.........I almost did the same thing the last day I was there fishing....lol and I knew it was there! I was putting the gear away .....fishing alone and still had one rod out till the last possible minute of course?! and didn't realize just how far along I was and noticed the DR cable going slack! I got off lucky.......this time! lol Not too many other surprises along the shoreline there pretty reliable other than that spot. Unless anyone else know's of a few surprises there?

short hits speed up helps

Second day back at work after my three week stint at the new cabin in Renfrew. I had my boat at the new docks for WCC and it was nice not having to deal with the river! I got to meat Kelly from Last Chance on the dock early one morning last week and got to talk a bit of fishing. Always nice to meet someone from the forum.

Like Hourston and others have mentioned it definitely takes time to know the spots day to day especially when you are beach fishing. In the past I have alway been a weekend warrior and put lots of hours in in a short time to make the most of it. Now that we have a place to stay I actually got to do some "Sport Fishing" lol which was nice. Unless I had company with me I mostly fished the tide changes and did well most days anywhere from East Point to Logan and always did well offshore.....especially with those small tides a week or so ago.

All in all I would say the beach fishing was some of the best I have ever had anywhere....not just Renfrew. I had one morning at East Point in Pea Soup fog and an absolute killer day at Logan with some first timers that will be remembered as 'EPIC' for sure.

I did notice towards the end of my trip I was having a lot of short hits......I mean a lot! We always seemed to get are fair share to the boat so I didn't change my set up at all but was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. I wasn't running a stinger hook but really started to consider doing it.

All in all another great trip to the coast and can't wait to get back! Keep the reports coming......especially for those of us that are "fishing challenged" right now being so far from the coast.....lol

Greg

Back