Port Renfrew 2009 Season

we will be out there at the derby on the weekend i will be with finatick just got back lousy water still some good coho hope to get into the big one lol

rd green

I hope to be out there in the derby. Hopefully the bit of rain forecasted won't be enough to shoot them up the river. Anyone have some experience with this fishery in how much rain it usually takes to push'em into the fresh water?

Oh and thanks Bananas for the tips you gave earlier about fishing close to the mouth. The old man has gone up a few times since then and has limited out both times... meanwhile I'm stuck here in the books

Yes LC is still guiding he took me out the other day and we had a blast especially when we brought in a "bolt" and it proceded to say F U and hose me down with about a gallon of salt water from the waist down!!!!!!!!!son of a *****!!!! I have to admit it was damn funny....
Was a beutiful day on the water and brought some nice coho home and even stopped at a few spots to pick some chantrelles but tired the big man out he was almost asleep by the time we got home LOL LOL.

Wolf

Same as last chance i have a trip in the am hope all the rain didn't make them go away.

Was out on Monday, seemed a bit slow, however, picked up a couple approx 1-1.5 miles west of the bouy. Saw some schools deep on the sounder but my action was around 40-60 ft on the downrigger. UV white hootchies, green and white spoons, and anchovies all had strikes. Moderate size swells with a perhaps 1 foot wind waves mid day.

My sounder seemed to be picking up a thermocline from 70 to 100 ft getting deeper as you travel farther from shore. Anyone else come across this out there?

Was up at Renfrew Sunday through Tuesday. Played no less than 60 some odd Coho in the one full day and two half days. Most seemed to be around the 8-11 lb mark. Feeder springs were taken on the chovie and flasher combo. Spoons did nothing for us this time out.( probably because we did not dedicate the speed to spoon fishing) Best Coho action was on green hootch and green flasher. 70-90' including a hog high 20's coho. We did take a couple Coho out in 600' of water with a bucktail out 5 pulls right in the prop wash. That was the first night out just at last light. Startled us to see it smash the gear that close to the boat in such rough water in almost dark conditions.( must have been in the high teens) Alot of action was off the rock pile in 290' of water.Lots of birds. LOts of bait. A few Humboldts. Couple of black Jack springs that lit up the gear!
The river mouth was stacked with fish but casting spoons did nothing for us. Had a few solid head shakes several times but nothing to convince me that I needed to spend alot of time there. I guess I may be wrong as a few other top rods have said they are not hot and heavy but definitely doable. So many fish on the outside that it was hard to concentrate on the fish inside.

What was the deal on Tuesday morning guys? I was the only boat out there until mid morning. It was like a ghost town. Then finally a few more guys showed up but even then At noon when I left there were only 7 of us out there. It was snotty for sure but I began to wonder if you all knew something I did not. After all I was caught off guard and suprised that all the local docks had been removed for the year. Made dropping in at the restaurant a little challenging.

Good times none the less.

Marina was a dream. No waits at the ramp and tons of parking.

Should be a good derby.

Good luck guys!

Yes you nailed it for sure in that description. I have also noticed that when it does turn on or off, it is very noticeable with those Renfrew fish. Not usually so obvious off shore as compared to when pounding the beach for springs.

Anyways the fish are much smaller on average now than they were. We did manage to take one very large Coho that I would have guessed to be a tyee while I was playing it. Had it all held up for pictures as well. Between the rain waves and a guy who couldn't figure the camera out in time, the fish did the mighty leap of faith and I opted for it to dive into the water than hit the deck of the boat. Oh well! There will be others.

The pictures below are really what the average size seems to be out there. Still loads of fun. I don't know about you Kelly , but I had a hell of a time finding any hatchery fish. Makes you realize how stupid this wild/hatchery fishery is. We waded through dozens of wilds for just one hatchery.

Lots of jacks and feeder springs out there as well as shown in the picture.

silver.jpg

P1060615-1.jpg

HL

11 lber was our biggest--slower for sure. Today's weather was unbelievable tho--the only trouble is it had me jonesing for summer to come back! Passed you on the way out today Last Chance--never gone that way before--nice and easy on the rig compared to the Sooke road.
T2

No Rigours

Back