Free rod

Lipripper

In case any of you missed it in this and the for sale section.

I have a never used 8 ft TDR.. I found a great shape 2000gt sitting in the shop to throw in.

I don't need them so I offered it up to and for a young fishers story.

Time to vote..

First up is Gear'n'beer! Jr...... Jacob will be the poll name.

Hi, my name is Jacob and here is my story.

I am 10 and a grade 5 student. My dad takes me fishing to Campbell river every year to fish for pinks in the river and he thought I would tell a story about that but my last time fishing was my favourite.

We were out fishing in October. It was the same day as the sooke coho derby but because I had soccer we didn’t go out until the afternoon. It was pouring. Dad launched the boat and I held it with my sister Katie while dad parked the truck. We went out of sooke and dad hit a deadhead in the pouring rain which killed the fish finder. Dad fought two coho and I fought two coho which ended in 3 in the boat and 1 released. The whole time we were fishing the humpback whales were hanging around which was pretty cool. We kept hearing music too which we didn’t know where it was coming from but turned out to be dads iphone in his pocket playing music. I taught my 8 year old sister Katie how to steer the boat and read the GPS. I also explained to her how down riggers work. She wasn’t really interested but she had fun watching us fish. I netted fish for my dad and he netted fish for me. We headed back in to sooke as we were soaked and I helped my dad load boat onto trailer. We went to serious coffee and dad got us hot chocolate.
It was a pretty fun day.

Second... We have Juniorfisher333 aka Dylan on the poll

Hi, my name is Dylan.
Today i will be telling you about a fishing story i experienced with my best friend Dawson.
Ok, so we were at Dawson's cabin in Port Renfrew, Which we go to every year. We asked Dawson's dad to take us out to Swiftsure Bay.His Dad was very willing to, as he loves fishing too! So, he took us out on his boat to Swiftsure. We were just going for maybe catch a couple of Coho or spring. So we were just trolling along for about an hour. We were starting to get ready to pack it in for the day when
to our surprise, the rod started to bob down. Dave(Dawson's dad) told me that we could both reel this one in. So Dawson picked up the rod, he started to hook it when it really started fighting. We were really surprised at how much fight this fish had. After about 10 minutes of
fighting Dawson's arms were getting tired so I took the rod. I was really surprised at how strong this fish was. I had to put my leg on
the side of the boat to hold me steady, so I wouldn't get pulled in. It was creeping to about 30 minute of fighting when i was tired-out.
Dawson took over for me. Now it had to be about 1 hour of fighting when we saw a fish emerge from sea. We were completely amazed at this Halibut. We had known that this would be a big fish. You may not believe that we pulled this fish in, although we are pretty
strong for 5th graders. Dave was also very amazed that we managed to land a 65 lbs. halibut. Since then we have told this story many times to amaze our friends. We hope you guys enjoyed this and we could use a fishing rod because Dawson's has recently snapped.
Thank you,

Third we have newfie girl aka Chelsea on the poll

OK so it is 3AM and dad says hurry and get up Rockfish will be upset if we are late. I guess i can sleep in the car but those two talked fishing all the way to sooke and argued about who was right AHHH. We get to the boat and start out in the dark and it's a bit scary but i have the two experts running the show so its ok. We fish for pinks all morning and it's a blast playing maybe 20 or more so then the pros decide it's time to fish springs. We head to deeper water and start fishing deep. The experts are still fighting about how deep how fast how much mustard on the sandwich when the rod goes off. Dad says that rockfish better play this one as it is a big spring. Well we finally land it and it's a 17lbs nice fish. Five minutes later another hit and dad takes the rod and with lots of drama lands a nice 18.5 lbs spring. The adults then promise that, i a mere nine year old girl, can play the next fish and that i should take a nap and they will wake me if we get another strike. Yeah right! The pros then decide to stack one side which in the heavy current caused that side to tangle so they said. The two adults then were focused on the mess they made when suddrnly the other rod was pounding like crazy and the line was going out like really fast. I got so excited i could hardly think but i hit dad in the arm and pointed to the rod that was bouncing crazy. He grabbed the rod and set the hook and started to play the fish so i hit him harder on the arm and told him it was my turn to play a fish so he passed me the rod and the fight was on. It took me about 20 minutes to play the fish and listen to the two experts disagree about how best to handle this fish but at the end of the day it was the biggest fish at 27lbs and i was the winner. This was one of the best days of my life and i will always remember it Thanks rockfish

and with the buzzer beater we have Ms. Kildonan aka Julia on the poll

My name is Julia and I am ten years old
I would like that fishing rod because I want to beat my dad at fishing like I did two years ago.

Every year we go to Qualicum for two weeks in august and we go fishing every night doing some jigging. Two summers ago we were fishing on the last night we were driving out to the spot where we jig. My dad asked me to plug the depth sounder in when my dad picked the spot to fish. He stopped the boat I could see there were some fish on the screen so I quickly put my line in the water before my dad and I hooked a spring salmon. It was heavy and hard to reel in it was 28 pounds and my dad did not catch anything that year.

I would like the rod because my dad is teaching me how to troll now and I would like to beat him at that. And that is why I would like the fishing rod

IMG_6561-1.jpg

Thanks to the guys and girls took the time to share your story, they are all great. Good luck guys and girls :p

Oh yeah.... I set the poll for 5 days so unless my math sucks that should be Wednesday night around 10:20

Man, these are some great stories! And a great idea you've had here too LR. I'm going to take some time here and vote carefully.

A bump to keep voting guys.

I am holding mine out for the last minute in case there needs to be a tie breaker :eek:

Looks like Chelsea is gaining some ground... One day left ;)

Jon-Stewart-saying-Oh-Snap.gif

We have a tie with 6.5 hours to go

Hi this is Julia my dad let me post here. I really want to win this fishing rod.
if i win this fishing rod i promise to post a picture of every fish i catch with it :)

Man o man

In the word of Goldmember, This one is going to be "toight" :D

Good on lippy! You have a spot on a river bank or in a boat with me anytime. (not that you didnt before but this just solidified the kinda dude you are_)

Thanks Lorne... Might have to hit you up on that soon....

Congratulations Chelsea... You win.

But... I did watch the voting race today... It was intense.

I thought you guys were plotting against me to make it a tie.... I would see it as a Julia 2 point lead... Then refresh and then a Chelsea one or two point lead, it went back and forth many times....

I remembered something in the shop that is equally unused... I had to dig deep into the rod rack and it took a little dusting but... I also have a 8'6" Diawa Firewolf rod and another reel..

Newfie boy.. Pm your number and we'll figure out the best one for Chelsea's needs (her choice of rod and reel) and Julia I got one for you

Jacob and Dylan.. Sorry guys (I voted for one of you)

Something I would do again..

Intense it was. It was watched very closely over here and was good fun. All we needed was some commentary from CNN's Wolf Blitzer and his demographic maps to predict voter tendencies. ;)

You're a top notch guy, Lippy. Thanks for putting this on.

...And congrats to Chelsea. :)

WOW what a surprise to see the final results this morning. I had swimming at 5am and dad made me go to bed. Thanks Mr. Lipripper for putting on this fun contest and thanks to all the nice people who voted for my story. Julia i have got to meet you cause i think you and i would kick our dads butts at fishing. Yours was a great story and i would love to team up and go fishing this summer. Maybe we could have a mini derby with Jacob and Dylan they wrote very good stories as well. Thanks again it was lots of fun as we wait for another summer of fishing too arrive. Merry Xmas to everyone. Chelsea

Intense it was. It was watched very closely over here and was good fun. All we needed was some commentary from CNN's Wolf Blitzer and his demographic maps to predict voter tendencies. ;)

You're a top notch guy, Lippy. Thanks for putting this on.

...And congrats to Chelsea. :)
Hi check your pm

So.... Remember this thread?

Well today after some learning about trolling, Julia had a good day with the rod that Lipripper so graciously gave to her.

In the original post Julia stated:
"I would like the rod because my dad is teaching me how to troll now and I would like to beat him at that. And that is why I would like the fishing rod"

Well guess what? LOL

Today Julia had a good morning on the water and gave dad's arse a good kicking. We were up good and early to get the first bite.

Setting the downrigger to the desired depth.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375749130.976553.jpg

It wasn't long before she was into her first fish, a nice 12 pounder that gave a good fight.

A little later, a second Spring of 18
pounds which produced a very spirited battle (and a lesson involving some battered knuckles). LOL.

Here's the end result, two beauty Springs for Julia, zero for dad. And Dad couldn't be more proud. ;-)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375749422.864488.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375749439.412855.jpg

Thanks for giving her that rod, Dan. Perfect for a little kid and she handled the gear all on her own like a champ.

Cheers,
Jim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice work Julia. Jim sometimes it good to have a good butt kicking, as long as it's family doing the kicking. I can see why you would be very proud of her and I'm sure this will is a time that you two will always remember. Also thanks to Lippy for the donation of the rod and reel.

Back