Port Renfrew 2009 Season

Renfrew is still on, lots of hatchery coho in the straits and on the bank, and Halibut are plentiful. Just the damn squid kept grabbing the hali bait, switching over to smaller plastic and drifting was better today, I gave up on the anchor after getting squidded on my first few pieces of bait.

Great weather and great fishing out there!

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

Whats the COHO fishery like from shore around the boat ramps and at the mouths of the Gordon and San Juar and Harris???

In my experience once they get close to the river mouth they are very hard to catch. You can get lucky and try to irritate one into biting something like some blue wool but they are usually no longer actively feeding.

Of course you can always try to snag them with big hooks like I have seen many do, but I think that is neither sporting nor legal! My two bits.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Back and forth several times in the last ten days , more wild than hatchery but the mix is changing , finding the hatchery fish somewhat deeper than the wilds.
Biggest lure to date ............. my old ugly puke yellow/green Apex is slamming them , next best the UV hootchie with the white stripe given to me to try by a member in the Otter point Park who works with the Goldstream Hatchery !

AL

Fished Renfrew today.

Lots of big coho in the bay. We tried for them for a bit in the river mouth, they were jumping all around, but we didn't hook into one. We cast spinnows and trolled bucktails for half an hour, but no dice. Saw a couple of others landed.

Out to the Bank...got 3 nice halibut and several ling cod. Had to work for them though, pretty good current and not quick bites. We fished for coho, from 60-150 feet, got into a few feeder and teen springs at 90-110 feet, plus a few springs and coho 15-18 pounds or so.

Couldn't land any squids, but expect we were getting nibbles, because bait gone after no clear strike.

Water was a bit sloppy on the bank, but a rare sunny day out there. Fun day!

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/juandesooka

Fished the mouth of the river sat morning casting spinnows and iron heads they weren't fast a furrious but we hit 8 in a couple hours up to 20lbs.Very fun on 12lb test and trout rods.This morning we fished 8am until 11am we trolled today in 8 - 20ft of water and it was good action all morning best lure was a gold ironhead trolled on the surface or a yellow we tad plug.Our largest today was 19lbs.For a guy thats all about big springs that was a fun weekend.

Bananas,

That sounds like a blast! I would be more for the trolling technique... I've never fished that far down the bay before any structure to watch out for? Also, did you even use your downriggers?

Thanks,

Shaun

Have read a lot about people catching squid this year, is this a normal occurance this time of year or something freaky?

No surprises in close to the beach just the odd crab trap.I used my riggers all morning and only had 2 bites off them the rest came off the surface but that doesn't mean it won't change the next day.

I don't want to hear anymore. I can't take it.. Man I love that fishery. I am heading up on Sunday and fishing until Tuesday.

They'd better hold off until I get there. No rain so there isn't any reason why they shouldn't just hang around for a few more days.
Hope it is not a zoo. LC , what do say????? Quiet up there????

HL

Ya your bang on there Kelly very slow morn but great late morn early aft non stop action then went in by the river and casted up a beauty to finish off the day.

Thanks LC

.....been fishing offshore Sooke all week and it's been a ghost town out there. Love it......and the fish are there to boot:D

Can't wait to be up in Renfrew again.

I'll keep an eye out for yah

HL

Anyone going in the coho derby this weekend? We'll be there! Hopefully Last Chance will leave 1 or 2 for us.
T2

No Rigours

Back