Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Plenty o' fish on the surf line. Big schools of pilchards showing up, and the fish yesterday were full of them. Tried Meares to Austin for a bit, but it was a little slow for us until we ventured out. Also ran into some hatch coho. I'll be out there at that time also.

I'll be up there at the end of next week too (June 24-26). Pilchards eh? Do many guys have success pulling plugs or big spoons on the inside? What's generally the main size of the feed late June in the sound? Last time I was there (early June) hoochies seem to be our best bet.

Yes , we will be there on the 23rd for 4 days as well , my last outting still had large needle fish in there bellies , fishing was far from spectacular ,let me re-phrase that " Salmon Fishing " was far from Spectacular " we did well at the end of the day , but ,
we worked for our fish , allotta moving around , Southbank was where most of the boats were ,

I did not cross any pilchards , if Searun says there abouts , Maybe start draggin around the Noggin Special perhaps , my gut tells me it's still a little early
for the bigger baits,,,

all our fish were on smaller spoons

see ya next week

FD

Last edited by a moderator:
No big bloom as of the moment, should be coming though...

Inshore is spotty right now, but some decent fish to be found. Halibut cooperative as always!

Which direction did you go from Meares Pat? Our way or Ucy way???

We'll be fishing out of Ukee on June 17th and 18th. Offshore if the weather is okay. We'll be looking to add to our stories of how to lose halibut at the side of the boat. Also excited to hear about the pilchards for salmon fishing and will try the big stuff. We also have trips July 22-24 and Aug 12-14. If anyone is interested in trading pms and reports through the summer, fire away.

Seems like a decent handfull of us will be about when I make the WFN run. What channel is the preferred one?

Wondering...
Nog

Anybody know what's happening with the sox in Alberni? Are they hanging around and biting yet, or just zooming up the river?

Good to see there are enough to raise the limit to 4 per day!

Only the rare fish being brought into the marinas here Wholey One. The river is high, and very cool (they opened up the dam too which keeps the cold snowmelt pouring down the trough). Under these conditions, the sockeye do not slow down to school nor stage out in the Inlet. They run Hot and True, like little torpedoes to the fresh. A LOT of snow still in the high country - 6 feet plus at the old Arrowsmith Ski Hill two days ago:

Arrowsmith_2.jpg

That and moreso what is still on the ground up Great Central way will keep the flow cool and high for some time I suspect. Good for the fish (the ones that manage to avoid the nets that is), but not so great for fishING.

The limits were raised to 4 per day right on schedule. This was done a week ahead of the first scheduled gillnet opening, and FN nets have been active for some time. Raising the limit to 4 at Papermill Dam was an oversight, and it will be reduced back down to two per day in short order now.

Likely be a bit of a spell before the Inlet gets overly active for them. That said, they are there passing through in very good numbers. You never know when you might get Lucky! I'd suggest first light, and running the gear at ~ 15 feet.

Cheers,
Nog

I will be fishing out of Ukee June 24 and the following 9 days.

Would also like to keep in touch and share reports with others in the area at that time.

PM me and we can exchange contact details.

Johan

A buddy of mine texted me to say that his father in law limited out at China Creek this morning in about an hour. That was all he said. I don't know if he was alone or with someone else. Anyone have an update on fishing there?

From another site:

Re: Barkley Sound and Area Reports

Postby lance d » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:27 pm
Freedom Charters mentioned to me that limits were caught off China creek by two boats this morning. Ill be giving it a go in the next two days. I was up at China creek on the weekend and didnt here of one sockeye come in, so maybe there was a push over night. Maybe Stress Medicine has and update?

Seems like a decent handfull of us will be about when I make the WFN run. What channel is the preferred one?

Wondering...
Nog

wfn run? channel 6.

i will be in all next week, lookin forward to hali

No big bloom as of the moment, should be coming though...

Inshore is spotty right now, but some decent fish to be found. Halibut cooperative as always!

Which direction did you go from Meares Pat? Our way or Ucy way???

You trolled by me Sunday coming in from your hali spot. Was all by myself again. Only one fishing that spot for a while. That should help narrow it down. Can PM me if you need to. Couldn't get em to go at Meares, so we went out.

You trolled by me Sunday coming in from your hali spot. Was all by myself again. Only one fishing that spot for a while. That should help narrow it down. Can PM me if you need to. Couldn't get em to go at Meares, so we went out.

You *******! Shoulda let me know that was you, I wondered who was doing the doughnut on that knob!!! We went into Cree and were into a few. You are a sneaky bugger...

Hi osama. We trolled by you on saturday.We were in the white campion explorer. We were in a hockey derby. Went in closer to edward king and got the winning fish. willydw

Back