Port Alberni / Bamfield Reports - Spring and Summer 2011

Heading up to Bamfield on the 6th for Monday to Friday. Hopefully the weather cooperates and the springs too. Might get to the closer offshore banks if all is well.
Gonna brave Seabeam again and see if all is fixed and cleaned up.
Now to pay for that darned ferry!!! Yikes..

Speaking of the darned ferry, does anybody know what the damage is this year out of Tsawassen? I have a half ton and a 21 foot boat. Last year it was just over $ 200 one way to Duke Point. How much was the increase?
Thx

Heading up to Bamfield on the 6th for Monday to Friday. Hopefully the weather cooperates and the springs too. Might get to the closer offshore banks if all is well.
Gonna brave Seabeam again and see if all is fixed and cleaned up.
Now to pay for that darned ferry!!! Yikes..

I hear ya on those ferries! I did a little calculation and $400 return plus additional fuel in the truck gets a little pricey. Cheaper to run up to Hardy than take the ferries.

Back out to Barkley this weekend... fish were harder to find than last weekend.

We fished the Whistle Buoy, The Wall, Diplock, and Pill Point and had some action at each but nothing that great. We kept 3 fish, biggest was an 11 lb nut case from this morning. It hit mid way between Pill and Diplock. Took a crazy amount of line off the start and got my knuckles wrapped more than a few times :D thought we had a big one... nope just an incredibly pissed off fish.

Lots of bait at The Wall and Pill Point. Saw a huge ball at 250 ft at Pill. My wife said go for it and drop it down there... sure enough we got one.

People we talked to who fished the same areas had similar results.

Had some nice weather and a good weekend.

BT

Last edited by a moderator:
Good times fishing for the last few days. Halibut fishing was fa-nominal,biggest being 53lbs and the smallest being 23.5 We added one Ling and a keeper spring.(only fished salmon for a few hours). Prawns were not too bad.Found a few (size was Jumbo on almost all).

Stosh, I'm willing to bet he wasn't too far offshore... heehee.

Nathan, I tried to get you on the radio Saturday morning, I heard you at Pill. Was a crazy good bite going at the surfline until about 10am. It would have died right as you got there so I'm glad you couldn't here me!!

Ha Ha Ha Jeff! We only spent the first morning there,for a total of two and one Ling. We went hunting the next day and hit limits on the back end of the tide. But ya we did not have to run that far out Stosh.
Will post a couple pics after I finish cleaning the boat up.

Cheers.

Here are a couple shots from the trip.

DSC02288.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC02282.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC02292.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC02293.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bruce. As for the blood, New to me boat, i was scrubbing the deck as much as I was fishing LOL.
We kill em,bleed em and tie tie em off in the water until it is time to pull the pin and go in.

Thanks for the info - looks like a great Hali trip, especially if you didn't have to go all the way out.

Stosh

Back