Pilchards

Hey Nog,

How long do those eyes stay on plugs and spoons before falling off? I can't see them being that durable.

Here is a new pilchard plug I recently ordered from Tomic in Gold River. Lipripper tells me it was probably hand painted by Holmes's lady who works there. It is called the CRVP#2 94ii with iridescent insert, cross hatched back, UV coating and glow yellow belly. Looks pretty good to me. Love how it shines under the UV light. I can hardly wait to use it on the west coast this summer!

I am also wondering about getting some without the spots and the yellow belly to better mimic herring for springs around Sooke, Port Renfrew and Swiftsure Bank - any thoughts?

View attachment 2715View attachment 2716View attachment 2717View attachment 2718

That is one sick looking plug! That even makes me hungry. Is this a custom job? How do you go about ordering custom plugs from Tomic?

Can get em all day long at PNT or Active Tackle....but as I said they don't work, so don't waste your time.;)

these are some that I got Tomic to do up last season for PNT.

DHA.

WP_000317.jpgWP_000322.jpgWP_000368.jpgWP_000556.jpg

Anyone know if pilchard numbers are significant near Haida Gwaii, or is it mainly herring???

True... the main forage up in the Gwai is herring. Cut plugging and weighted lines can be deadly. That said I took plugs and they worked. The RVP special worked well, especially at Klash until it got busted off. 158ys and 32 were good at times as well.

Hey guys, I mainly fish at Port Renfrew and usually use a flasher with Anchovie teaser heads. I would love to try and Not use a flasher....could you guys tell me the proper way to rig a plug off of the downrigger and also if i were to buy a couple of plugs, what would you recommend for Renfrew. Cheers

who could also run dummy flashers off the downrigger with your plugs to improve success, I have also set up dummy flashers with whole herring in teaser heads and had great success as well.

Best set-ups for dummys:
regular flasher or now, in-lines like Delta or Kone Zone, on 1 side with a large spoon or naked teaser headed bait (herring/'chovie). Usually not too deep up to 100'.
Run the dummy off or near the ball 5-10' back. 5' above dummy, attach your lure at a comfortable distance behind the dummy. With the in-lines you can run fairly tight without too much grief.
Run your plug naked on the other side usually within 10' of the dummy side.
I have only had a couple of 'disasters' when a fish (usually small spring or coho), hits the dummy side lure and gets wrapped up in the dummy line. gl

Hey Iron ...I've made a teaser head for Pilchards. It doesn't roll the bait, it swims it. Unbelievable. I have underwater vids of us trolling a 10" Pilchard 2.8 mph, then 3.5 mph, then 5 mph. 3 diff sizes - Chovy, Herring and Pilchard. Presently negotiating mold costs, will be in production shortly. The vids are at my You Tube site - GuideProInc. The bait head is called "Jughead".You won't believe this thing... Please post your opinions about Jughead as all feedback is beneficial.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Iron ...I've made a teaser head for Pilchards. It doesn't roll the bait, it swims it. Unbelievable. I have underwater vids of us trolling a 10" Pilchard 2.8 mph, then 3.5 mph, then 5 mph. 3 diff sizes - Chovy, Herring and Pilchard. Presently negotiating mold costs, will be in production shortly. The vids are at my You Tube site - GuideProInc. The bait head is called "Jughead".You won't believe this thing... Please post your opinions about Jughead as all feedback is beneficial.

So are these available for sale?

Back