Pilchards

DHA do you have those plugs in the parksville store. I like the first and the third. If so I will be making a trip tomorrow.

okay but it also has black scale or black gold scale added to it which a normal 500 does not..cant exactly tell from the side view pic.;):)...holmes*

;) observant. It is black/gold scale.

DHA.

Hey Nogg I just bought a couple of plugs and some magic eyes. What kind of glue do you use to stick the eyes on?

In production mode I generally use Epoxy. Damn tough stuff. In the field I've used everything from rubber cement to goop and sikaflex. LOL! I'd go with the epoxy - seems to last the longest.

Cheers,
Nog

I know back about 6 years ago or so, there was some small tinker mackeral on the market that could be fish out of anchovy teaser head and a couple of the guys knock the springs dead with them... They trying to find them for a couple years after that but it was just a limited production run of bait quaity tinkers..... So to answer you question...Yes ... ;)

Has anyone ever found any evidence of salmon eating these guys? If they can catch the little rats then I don't see why they wouldnt eat them.. Maybe mackerel aren't thick enough for them to be a consistent food source.....?
Anyways, without the pilchard dots I think this plug imitates the mackerel quiet well.
View attachment 2493

Definitely a good match hambone. A #700 is another popular color match in years with more Mackerel around.

It was a sad,sad day when I lost this old girl.It did not have number but she put on quite a show.
0133.jpg

Nog, you said somthing about the 300. This one WAS brand new.

235.jpg

Why is it so scratched up? Was it rattling around on the bottom of a tackle box or something? You should try and take better care of your tackle. I keep my plugs in new pristine condition.

Downchild,that top one is my best plug!Mine has no number on it and its got to be 30 years old.

Pull those pins!!!!gives you a chance to find them.

I know but there IS a reason I dont.
Plug hit the transom at mach 6 after a Chow tried to yank in 60 yards of kelp.

DownChild: Had GREAT success with the no-number plug with the glow belly and blue scale back pattern. Ran it amongst the best when operating the commercial plug fisheries in August, and it easily held it's own. Interesting that you put a good commercial hook on it. More interesting is the beak or bend you put on the hook point. That is exactly what the commercial fleet does to prevent scarring of the plug and I tend to believe it holds fish much better than a lesser beaked hook.

The picture of the 300 well indicates it's performance. Always have a few on hand, and especially like them when herring are around.

Cheers,
Nog

I'll have to say, some of the more "distinguished" people on here sure know a **** load of stuff about fishing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone.....especially me! I learn something new every time I visit

I'll have to say, some of the more "distinguished" people on here sure know a **** load of stuff about fishing. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone.....especially me! I learn something new every time I visit

Second that whole-heartedly. Thanks a ton guys!

So, I'm the village idjit when it comes to plugs--I use them maybe 15% of the time I chase springs (even though I've had consistent success with plugs when I do strap them on) But I'm a bait guy. If there ain't a stench of bait in my boat, I start twitching and my eyes get glassy...

But here's the thing: does size trump finish? My main experience with plugs has been Uke in Aug/September. My experience---I can pretty much reach into my tackle box and tie any design of plug on my line (as long as it's 6 or 7 inches in length when the pilchard are boiling on Big bank) and if I drag it around, I usually get a take-down in short order.

This past August I fished Uke with a guy who showed up on my boat with crappy main line. He had a whole box full of plugs in pretty much every finish you could think of, and without fail, every one he tied on got a very quick take-down, then he'd break the fish off, say the Lord's name in vain, tie on another and repeat the process. I watched him hook 6 springs on six different plugs and break all of them off in about two hours of fishing..

So, when I'm not out on the chuck I fly fish for steel and if I've learned anything at all about fly fishing for those units it's this: size definitely trumps pattern

And that's what I've seen so far with plugs, but then again, I don't have a whole pile of experience to draw on.

I'd be interested to hear comments from guys that do, and have lots of conviction that pattern is in fact critical and if so, given normal water clarity and light conditions, why....
thx

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be interested to hear comments from guys that do, and have lots of conviction that pattern is in fact critical and if so, given normal water clarity and light conditions, why....

LOL! Your village called...
Apologies! Simply couldn't help myself :D

I use plugs. A LOT. Both commercial and sporting. Bait, not so much...

Why? Because the plugs are damn effective at catching Biggies, and generally keep the interceptions of the smaller stuff that I am not interested in at bay.

Pattern is not critical when The Bite is on. You could likely drag a beer can with success then, and nearly any bait, hootchie, spoon or plug will usually suffice. Ahhhh.... but when you're scratching, pattern makes ALL the difference!

Case in point 1:
In the August commercial troll plug only fishery, we generally run 5 to 6 plugs a wire. So, 30 to 36 plugs in the water when the full spread is out. We carry hundreds to match the conditions we believe we might experience. Most of them work, especially so when the feedbag is on. Most of them work a little better when the size and general color pattern match the predominant bait. And some, a very special few, will Hunt like The Bite is on all the time more often than not. Many of those are not an exact match to the grits, just as many are. Perhaps more of the right wiggle thing. But I do know that by matching the size, color, and pattern, I can take a so-so producer and turn it into one that belongs in the "Good Box". Matching the Hatch very much works in that application...

Case in Point 2:
Have a quick boo at the results of the Ukee Salmon Ladder Derby over the past couple of years. You will shortly see a pattern. :D
I have a couple "favorites" for angling too. The Deadliest look (to the fishes eye) extremely close to what they are currently feeding on. When you have but TWO terminals wiggling down below, they should be the best you can get your mitts on IMHO. Pattern in that application often makes a world of difference.

As for "why"... well... that seems to be what they want.

Cheers,
Nog

Wise words, Nog--thanks. My biggest handicap--I fish alone 99% of the time so if things are slow I end up with the sneaking suspicion that it's not so much what's on the end of my line but what depth I should I be fishing. Maybe it's time to start paying more attention to plugs and fish them with a bit more conviction.

The timing might be good because as far as bait goes, I'm hearing green and blue label will be tight this year.

Back