Pilchards

DownChild: Had GREAT success with the no-number plug with the glow belly and blue scale back pattern. Ran it amongst the best when operating the commercial plug fisheries in August, and it easily held it's own. Interesting that you put a good commercial hook on it. More interesting is the beak or bend you put on the hook point. That is exactly what the commercial fleet does to prevent scarring of the plug and I tend to believe it holds fish much better than a lesser beaked hook.

The picture of the 300 well indicates it's performance. Always have a few on hand, and especially like them when herring are around.

Cheers,
Nog

Yes indeed. I bought about 350 Duratain hooks, 9/0 and10/0.
I love how bendy they are. You could never attain that kind of bend with a stainless!
50# Flourocarbon was key too. IMHO

I had a few spare moments today.....since I'm stuck at work all day so I brought in a few government jobs! lol Curious to see how Nog's Pilchard plugs turn out. I sprayed some spots on a couple of #700's I had kicking around and I think they are a pretty good match. At least in person......the pics are from the phone so might not do them justice. Anyways.......Cheers! and Have a Good Christmas everyone!

Greg

Attachments

• 700.2.jpg
    700.2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 700.4.jpg
    700.4.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 700.1.jpg
    700.1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 236
Hey Bill.....The paint was made by Dupli-Color. It's an acrylic lacquer used mostly for painting automotive trim....dashes etc. It seems pretty good to work with and it dries super fast so no worry about runs in the paint. I bought it at Crappy Tire.........Cheers!

100% Those babies will catch fish. Good to see ya pull the pins. I think the yellow eye catches more than red...any other observations on that point?

I think the yellow eye catches more than red...any other observations on that point?

I Agree, the yellow does seem to catch more. BUT, the oversized holographic glass eyes I stick on most plugs these days catch even more. I believe the fish tend to focus on the eyes, the larger and more realistic, the Better IMHO!

Merry Christmas!

Cheers,
Nog

i see the pic of the holographic eyes earlier in the thread where do you get them ????--edit i see them at cabelas would you get 1/4 or 3/8" ??

Last edited by a moderator:
... i see them at cabelas would you get 1/4 or 3/8" ??

Sometimes from Cabela's. The Fishing Hole in Edmonton also carries them, so I just as often have a Buddy pick them up and fire them off to me. Need ~ 600 or so this year, so will be looking hard for a bulk discount...

Go BIG! The Larger ones are The Best! Seem to stand out more down below, which in turn results in more hook-ups IMHO.

Cheers,
Nog

Sharpie and now the Fishin' Hole need to put you on retainer, Matt. Keep the ideas coming.

Like the look of the ones on the right, especially so the upper right:

s7_320043_999_01

LOTS of sources out there. One of the better (cheaper) ones is eBay. For instance these work quite fine:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/80-8mm-Silv...752?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab1c5c368

And I kinda like these off-center pupil jobs:

405981.jpg

From: http://www.barlowstackle.com/Look-Around-3-D-Holographic-Eyes-P2206C38.aspx

Wish those last ones came in a slightly larger size. But methinks if the eyes on the plug are looking BACK at the fish when it approaches, that might add that little something extra to induce the strike.

It's all experimentation. Don't be afraid to try anything you think might work! Then, simply let the fish decide, they WILL let you know what they like! :D

Cheers,
Nog

cool thread guys! gotta get me some of those eyes.... check out these pilchard imitations. 7 inch and they roll 3-5 times and swap directions and roll the other way. Killer action!

Attachments

• IMG_3601.jpg
    IMG_3601.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 275
  • DSCF1525.jpg
    DSCF1525.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 238
Interesting site Nog, which mm size would you consider to be the best for plugs, spoons etc. The site shows 88 mm. on a strip of 80. eman

Here is a new pilchard plug I recently ordered from Tomic in Gold River. Lipripper tells me it was probably hand painted by Holmes's lady who works there. It is called the CRVP#2 94ii with iridescent insert, cross hatched back, UV coating and glow yellow belly. Looks pretty good to me. Love how it shines under the UV light. I can hardly wait to use it on the west coast this summer!

I am also wondering about getting some without the spots and the yellow belly to better mimic herring for springs around Sooke, Port Renfrew and Swiftsure Bank - any thoughts?

PC270082.jpgPC270083.jpgPC270084.jpgPC270091.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very cool link to ebay Nog. Saves me a lot of $. I put these things on almost everything, including my chovie heads. Going to to try the 8 mm yellow to trick up my plugs.

Here is a new pilchard plug I recently ordered from Tomic in Gold River. Lipripper tells me it was probably hand painted by Holmes's lady who works there. It is called the CRVP#2 94ii with iridescent insert, cross hatched back, UV coating and glow yellow belly. Looks pretty good to me. Love how it shines under the UV light. I can hardly wait to use it on the west coast this summer!

I am also wondering about getting some without the spots and the yellow belly to better mimic herring for springs around Sooke, Port Renfrew and Swiftsure Bank - any thoughts?

View attachment 2715View attachment 2716View attachment 2717View attachment 2718

Both version work excellent work.....you can get them with a white belly also...there is a Kentic tape version that can work even better at times.... I believe this year they will be coming out with the UV injected in the plastic..right now I believe they are UV painted :)

shhhh, those things don't work, junk. Never catch a darn thing on them. Just a bad rumor!

Back