Pick one

If we are looking at new Diesels... Dont forget about the fuel additives needed by Chev and Ford... I believe Dodge is the only one you dont need to add the Juice to, everytime... that would drive me nuts... I do believe the Dodge holds its value a little better in the used makets aswell, indicating they are either more reliable or more popular...
Ive had 2 Dodge Diesels, only ever had to do brakes and regular maintenance...
They all have their pros and cons and a hefty price tag....lol

The bad news is that all diesels will have to have that crap juice soon so there will be no choice and then we will be hosed on that.

It was recommended to add a fuel supplement anyways due to the low sulfur content in the fuels now-a-days... helps lubricate the engine... new or older diesel engines...

1986 ford that went to 500,k Till the head gasket went, have a 1997 that has over 360,k . Just the normal truck problems.If i was buying new i would look at all 3 kinds. Like them all. Would love to put a diesel in a late 70's ford.

If you don't mind getting an older used truck, I would try to look for a ford 7.3 litre powerstroke with low milage. One of my buddies has a 2001 Powerstroke that he runs every summer towing a 33ft 8 000lb trailer. It has 320 000ish KM on it and still runs strong. He even put a chip on since it was a year old. The only things that had to be replaced, were the brakes, ball joints which was very recent and a glow plug relay. The turbo also was going just this year because of a design flaw with the turbo wheel causing the turbo to flutter. He could have probably got another 50 000KM out of it before it needed absolute replacement and without the turbo flutter that turbo proabably would have lasted about 500 000KM at least.
The turbo flutter flaw can easilly be fixed in those trucks though with an after market compressor wheel that is about $100.00.

I have heard about the power stroke navistar built 6.0 litres having everything from seized injectors to cracked heads, plugged up turbos, plugged EGrs and e.t.c. The 6.4s powerstrokes which were also built by navistar were having everything from seized turbos, leaking EGrs, terrible fuel economy, and even short block replacements. The 6.7s Power Strokes which are made in house by Ford themselves, seem to have been much more solid than the 6 and 6.4. There have been a couple of cases though where the 6.7s were dropping valves but mainly in the F 450s and up. The biggest issue they have had though, that is now fixed is that the computer programing for the tranny in the first trucks was causing the trucks to hard shift and shift into too high of a gear which did lots of tranny damage. After that, it sounds like these trucks have mainly been good news and they put out a whopping 400hp and 800ish ftlb of torque. If looking for a new or recent truck, I think I would stick with a duramax though, as their Allison trannys have been proven to be durable. Even though I am a ford guy, I have been hearing about much less problems with the Duramaxes as opposed to the navistar built 6.0 and 6.4 litre power strokes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't mind getting an older used truck, I would try to look for a ford 7.3 litre powerstroke with low milage. One of my buddies has a 2001 Powerstroke that he runs every summer towing a 33ft 8 000lb trailer. It has 320 000ish KM on it and still runs strong. He even put a chip on since it was a year old. The only things that had to be replaced, were the brakes, ball joints which was very recent and a glow plug relay. The turbo also was going just this year because of a design flaw with the turbo wheel causing the turbo to flutter. He could have probably got another 50 000KM out of it before it needed absolute replacement and without the turbo flutter that turbo proabably would have lasted about 500 000KM at least.
The turbo flutter flaw can easilly be fixed in those trucks though with an after market compressor wheel that is about $100.00.

I have heard about the power stroke navistar built 6.0 litres having everything from seized injectors to cracked heads, plugged up turbos, plugged EGrs and e.t.c. The 6.4s powerstrokes which were also built by navistar were having everything from seized turbos, leaking EGrs, terrible fuel economy, and even short block replacements. The 6.7s Power Strokes which are made in house by Ford themselves, seem to have been much more solid than the 6 and 6.4. There have been a couple of cases though where the 6.7s were dropping valves but mainly in the F 450s and up. The biggest issue they have had though, that is now fixed is that the computer programing for the tranny in the first trucks was causing the trucks to hard shift and shift into too high of a gear which did lots of tranny damage. After that, it sounds like these trucks have mainly been good news and they put out a whopping 400hp and 800ish ftlb of torque. If looking for a new or recent truck, I think I would stick with a duramax though, as their Allison trannys have been proven to be durable. Even though I am a ford guy, I have been hearing about much less problems with the Duramaxes as opposed to the navistar built 6.0 and 6.4 litre power strokes.

I had a 7.3 & loved it only MODED
Stock She was a fricken slug

IMO the Duramax is is tough to beat, specially attached to the Allison

One Big Dis-advantage to um iz
"Price", I fricken FS, rather solid axle, on 4wheel drives.... Chevy's C channel frame as supposed to the boxed. Maybe that's why they have the lighter weight?? & did I SAY PRICE!!!!!

Kh

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 7.3 & loved it only MODED
Stock She was a fricken slug

Yeah, they're definitely not a speed truck when stock. When my buddy put the full chip tuning on that truck though, I would be sucked back to the seat a bit. That was when the truck was unloaded and on flat ground.

Yeah, they're definitely not a speed truck when stock. When my buddy put the full chip tuning on that truck though, I would be sucked back to the seat a bit. That was when the truck was unloaded and on flat ground.

Have ya ridden in a 5.9 common rail in the same modded class , It may impress U more ????

When I bought my 2008 Dodge Ram Laramie Diesel, I saw one of those Mega cab monsters with the extended box. Took it for a test drive, it was a nice truck but just trying to park that thing in your average parking lot and as a daily driver would be PITA. I think you would soon grow tried of it. Even just a extended cab with the duallys is a bit of a pain. I ended up with the Quad cab with the long box and standard rear end and 4x4. It has the leveling kit in the front end and the air bags in the back. The fuel mileage is not as great as I thought it would be but I still love the truck.

Back