Pick one

I have a 2007 GMC with a Duramax and it's the best vehicle i've every owned.......PERIOD!

as far as ride goes chev wins hands down. i put 70,000k a year on some of the worst gravel roads in alberta a year and you couldn't pay me to drive a ford or dodge on those roads. the repairs for this type of driving might be a little more but its all worth it to be able to walk upright after the abuse.

avoid 01-04 Duramax, 04.5 and up good. As for driving off road, I would take a Chev over a Ford all day long. I work at both Ford and Chev up north and the loggers were doing balljoints every 20000km and it was normal to see a loggers Chevy with 100000+ km with original balljoints.

But to each their own..

Can't speak for ford-never had one-had a 98 cummins great engine great gph very noisy and the transfer case "blew up" with 48k km on it. Have a 2001 duramax 1 ton dually-best truck I have ever owned bar none. Quiet, comfortable, GPH is good(not as good as dodge) reliable-tons of torque fabulous long distance hauler. Seldom go off road.. Just came back from a round trip to the tip of Baja. Never missed a beat. I have 240000KM on this truck and I expect it will make 500000 with no trouble-DAMNED MYSELF FOR SURE.

The Duramax in 2001 and I think up til 2003 had a known injector fault for which we were all given extended warrenties. Mine went at 173000km and 1 year after the extended warrenty expired-guess I was lucky or look cute but Gm replaced free. So that is the only issue I know about.

Just a little ribbing is all. It's only the internet:).

I drive a '97 Ford F250 with a 460 gasser so who I'm I to say anything:eek:.

That Cummins is a good motor and is winning THIS poll damn it:(.
Had that same combination in a 92 super cab and converted it to propane. Still had enough power for Camper and boat and put over 270 k of hard towing hauling on it. I loved that truck.

I purchased a new Denali Duramax 397 hp, the exact truck you see in the commercial where the robot is building a black Duramax. It has all the options and 20" rims. I now have 12k miles on it and no problems so far. The 397 hp power is unreal.

The options (GPS, heated steering wheel, cooling seats ....) all work excellent. But what really impressed me is the engine like RMPs and shifts at 3k+ when you're giving it and the tranny bangs the gears.

I paid the extra $1.8K to extend the warranty and I now have a 7 year or 160k kl warranty on everything. The reason for extending the warranty is the electrical only has a 3 year 60K warranty and when you extend the warranty it covers everything bumper to bumper. The electrical is what scares me.

I custom order the truck over the phone from Baljet in Duncan. They undercut Jenner in Vic by $5,000.

All new trucks are great at the start but give them some time and time will tell. I can say most of my friend that purchased Ford 1tons a few years ago have had major problems and to trade them in they are being offered nothing.

I have a cummins with 300 000k on it.
Same tranny too!
Have never touched the engine other than reg oil changes.

The front end..that is another story.
I have moog ball joints in it now.
Lifetime warranty but you still pay for the labour to replace them.

I think I would try the cheyy with the allison tranny when it comes time to replace the truck.

biased,, cummins

bamfield limo= 6SPD 5.7 HO,06 mega cab,edge with attitude,5" turbo back exhaust,650hp southbend clutch, bamf air intake and fuel system

d-max= comfy grandpa truck
ford= dont waste yer money

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry i got my fact incorect, I am by the way only human!

Toyota owns 5.9% of Isuzu, and were working on the 1/2 ton engine for both the GM/Chev and also the Toyota... funny we never saw any of these trucks ever

Toyota has to be careful, the market is not that good and the cost of tooling up for that might put them on thin ice.
Boobs or tires, if you don't take care of them you WILL have problems.

In 1990 I bought a W250 Dodge 4x4 diesel, hauled loads up to 21,000# , one time with 8500# on the rear axle.......that was over the rated weight of the total truck. Truck got 15 1/2 mpg loaded at those weights and would get 27 mpg empty. I knew I would break something eventually so in 1996 with over 215,000kms on it I traded it in on a new Ram 3500 dually 4x4 diesel. Pulled the same heavy loads for a few years and got 14 to 15 mpg loaded and still get 24 mpg empty with it even when there is 509,000kms on it. Injectors, fuel system, starter, clutch etc still all original. I did have to put an alternator in last year as well as a rad. U-joints have been replaced as well except for the two on the rear main drive shaft, they are original. Decided to buy a new 2008 Ram 4x4 in 2008, it only has 12,000kms on it as I use the old 1996 for everyday use. I figured the old girl didn't owe anything to me and they wouldn't give me anything for it so I decided to keep it. Since buying the new 2008 I have around 100,000kms on my old girl and not on the new one. Mileage SUCKS on the 2008, lucky if you can get 19mpg empty, only time will tell if this new 2008 will match up to the 1990 & 1996 Rams

In 1992 I purchased a Dodge 4x4 diesel (5spd) and drove it unitl 2006. Other than replacing a steering box there were no problems. Yes it was noisy and the ride not the best, but the mileage on the highway was 26 mph (empty). One time when we were hunting the truck sat for 3 days and when the temperature hit 29 deg. (F) below zero, it started with no problems, while an aquaintances Chevy would not start. I now have a 2006 Dodge diesel (auto), while it rides better the mileage is approximatley 80% of what I got on the 1992. Would I purchase another diesel today - with the price of diesel now more than gasoline - I would now purchase a truck that runs on gasoline.

I've always been a chevy guy all my life, but both chev and ford have been plagued with injection issues,
cummings not so much but ya weak Trannys for sure.
but if I was buying today I think I would go with the new 800ftlbs torque of the cummins and add a really good extended warranty to cover that tranny when she gives up the ghost
and all in a 4x4 dually longbox mega cab, those things have more room in the back seat area then the front and with kds and dogs it would be the only way to fly me thinks
JMO Tim

Well you know my vote Len!!!! I'd rather be Cummin than Strokin :D

Would I purchase another diesel today - with the price of diesel now more than gasoline - I would now purchase a truck that runs on gasoline.

I never did understand how the logic went: more pollution controls but burning more fuel - How is that better? New trucks with crazy stuff like urea injection? Who are the people that think up this stuff? Is DFO involved? lol

Had a gas truck before - never again. For towing, diesels rule the hill. Yes you pay more to buy but the trade value is 'way better at the other end. Yes, diesel is more expensive but the density is greater so more energy per liter. "Diesel offers a higher volumetric energy density at 35.86 MJ/L (128 700 BTU/US gal) vs. 32.18 MJ/L (115 500 BTU/US gal) for gasoline, some 11% higher, which should be considered when comparing the fuel efficiency by volume." So gas at $1.24 per liter has the same energy value as diesel at $1.37.

Another vote for cummins. My first was a '92 cummins w/ 5 speed manual trans, wish I could by a new one of those today.

My current cummins is a '02 4x4 w/automatic trans, 4 door, 8' bed. It is only used to tow my 7500 lb boat and the truck currently has 80k km and has had nothing but oil changes from new and just loves to go fishin'. I've heard bad things about the '06 and newer cummins, but hopefully I won't be shoppin for a newer truck for another 10 years. (knock on wood)

Would I purchase another diesel today - with the price of diesel now more than gasoline - I would now purchase a truck that runs on gasoline.
gasoline may be cheaper at the pump but is less efficient so in the long run diesle is cheaper

"They burn less fuel than a gasoline engine performing the same work, due to the engine's higher temperature of combustion and greater expansion ratio. Gasoline engines are typically 30 percent efficient while diesel engines can convert over 45 percent of the fuel energy into mechanical energy"

But to each his own and in the end buy what you want not what everyone else has or wants you to buy!

I just 650km on a tank of diesel in 03 dodge 3500 dually 5.9l cummins 305hp with mods and with the 48re trans the tank cost me $134 my womans mazda cx7 gets about 250km/tank and it cost $86 to fill I still think diesel is better ........ the only reason diesel is more now is because of all the GD Smart cars and VW TDI's Gas companies gougin againg

Back