Centre Cabin walk around vs. Centre Console

Love the side door ideas. I kind of like the idea of using the bow of the boat as a raised flat platform too, not euro sunbathing style but fly fishing from the bow using spot lock. My boat has a bubble in the cuddy so you can sit up, and the windlass get in the way. Not to derail from the walk around which I love too.

To stay under the luxury tax I bet you will have to get a build done from one of the independent welders, a couple are on the forum? You might also have to do some work yourself and buy things used. Not sure if you can get around it by buying new and installing yourself, I think if you buy and have your builder install you might still trip the tax man to come out and get you.

View attachment 104419
What's the trigger/rate on the luxury tax these days?

I managed to get around it on my new truck last year because a 1 ton is "commercial vehicle." What about boats? Any way registering it differently ie. business would avoid the trigger?

Either way I am not adverse to buying a hull and doing some installation, wiring, or rigging.

What's the trigger/rate on the luxury tax these days?

I managed to get around it on my new truck last year because a 1 ton is "commercial vehicle." What about boats? Any way registering it differently ie. business would avoid the trigger?

Either way I am not adverse to buying a hull and doing some installation, wiring, or rigging.
250k and 10% for boats, I believe. It looks like no easy way around the tax. If you do your own labour, I can't see them charging you tax on it?

If you buy used motor and run it for a year it looks like you can put new motors on it a year later and just pay regular good old tax, which is still a punch in the gut. Do lots of research, it is a messy piece of tax law and I'm not even an accountant.

What is the improvement period of a luxury item​

The improvement period of a luxury item begins on the day that an agreement for the sale of the luxury item is entered into and ends on the day that is one year after the sale is completed. If, during this time, the luxury item is subsequently sold to a person dealing at arm’s length, then the improvement period ends on the day that the subsequent sale is completed.

Exclusions​

Subsection 2(1) excludes certain vessels from the definition of subject vessel. The following are not considered subject vessels and are not subject to the luxury tax:

• a floating home as defined in subsection 123(1) of the Excise Tax Act
  • a vessel designed and equipped solely for commercially catching, harvesting or transporting fish or other living marine resources
  • a vessel designed and equipped solely for ferrying passengers or vehicles on a fixed schedule between two or more points
  • a vessel with sleeping facilities for more than 100 individuals who are not crew members
  • a vessel registered with a government before September 2022,Footnote1 provided that a user of the vessel has possession before this date
  • a subject vehicle or a subject aircraft

Thinking of a beamy alloy 26' build. I'm torn...

Bridgeview 26' centre cabin...

View attachment 104325

Cope Pachena Point walk around...

View attachment 104324

Cope 26' Centre Console...

View attachment 104326

What else should I be looking at?

Capable and fun to fish out of are my primary goals. I want to be able to go offshore. I know I'm sacrificing some comfort, and overnighting or longer trips with machines like these. I guess I could always camp on deck.

I'll eventually have moorage but will want to tow for 1-2 trips a year. I realize I'll need a permit to tow these, all are 10'6" beam.

A part of me thinks I should look to a popular cabin type boat, a 25' Cope Quatsino or similar. But these walk around and centre consoles, with all that deck look like a blast to be out in.

What do you think?

Did you look at this?

27’ aluminum center console boat. CA$135,000​

431171397_790944166228565_8254499656763507424_n.jpg432029757_934839121303129_7626090307090429685_n.jpg

I did see that. I'm not familiar with the builder though. Looks OK in the pics, doesn't appear to be his first boat...

I may need to make some adjustments in my build plan too, we just bought an acreage today and it's taking a bit of bigger bite out of my cash than I had hoped. We close in 3 weeks and I'm sure I'll have to throw some more money at it initially. I'm going to have to calculate my boat plans again over the next couple weeks while I sort out these other things out. It's a good development though, we needed a place to live...

I did see that. I'm not familiar with the builder though. Looks OK in the pics, doesn't appear to be his first boat...

I may need to make some adjustments in my build plan too, we just bought an acreage today and it's taking a bit of bigger bite out of my cash than I had hoped. We close in 3 weeks and I'm sure I'll have to throw some more money at it initially. I'm going to have to calculate my boat plans again over the next couple weeks while I sort out these other things out. It's a good development though, we needed a place to live...
I went and met with this builder in the fall his work is awesome! Would highly suggest meeting with him if your building

Thanks for mention of my North River 28 x 9’6” . The hull design heritage is Almar. It is not a light boat but it was engineered by Aerospace engineer. Buddy in Oregon built / runs a Cope - excellent boat. i have a build thread on ifish …titled Build It….
Boat summers in Tahsis and i run it up and back from Seattle… bucket is essential….F862CF99-4904-416C-95CC-41845C8B21CC.jpeg

Back