Peetz reels

We were worried about the mono tightening on the wood and warping it again but I guess with all the Dacron on there it has a cushion.
Thanks fshnfnatic
thawk

I'd be interested in that reel,Poppa Swiss. Love the sound of those old Peetz when you have a big smiley peeling line.
Just talkin' about it gives me chills!! lol.

gees, great reading, all I have in mee wee boat, are 6 Peetzs dating back to early 70's , still work great, I have 4" and 6", ahhhh the feel of twin burns marks on yur palms as the line screames out of them knuckle dusters.
all with the orginal wooden knobs...

pic of 65th anniversary peetz being put back into usage. assume it was purchased in 1991 original price tag is still on it $56.95
013.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok you guys re kindled my interest in these old peetz and I picked up a 6" recorder tonight along with a 6'6" peetz Hali rod, reel is nice but rod needs a new reel seat any ideas?
Can't wait to give her a run, sorry bout the chitty pics, uploaded thru tapatalk from my phone
ure2abus.jpg
ega2y3at.jpg
eba6u8y4.jpg
hytu9ehu.jpg
begajude.jpg
veranedu.jpg

Go green: I have removed one knob on each of the 4" we use for smaller salmon, problem is now the reel wobbles when a fish runs, I am thinking about putting a piece of flat dense metal where the knob was in order to restore balance.

Hookin up: Peetz will replace the annoying tip pulley for under $10. The pulleys work with wire, but catch mono and braid non-stop.

FYI: we run 80# braid on all 8 of our Peetz's, never an issue, although you will learn to keep some tension on the braid when setting gear, it is SO limp that it loves to loop over anything it can lol

thanks for the feedback smiley, I will give it a whirl with one knob and see how it is for springs. If it wobbles I will have to order a new knob as I have no idea where the original is. When you get knuckle dusted with those it hurts lol.it was setup for hali previously by my father-in-law. I am running mono on it , its been a long time since I used one of those- no mistaken the scream of the reel when you hit a fish, unlike some of the new reels that have to be adjusted to get the ratchet noise loud enough so you can hear it if you are not paying attention.

thanks for the feedback smiley, I will give it a whirl with one knob and see how it is for springs. If it wobbles I will have to order a new knob as I have no idea where the original is. When you get knuckle dusted with those it hurts lol.it was setup for hali previously by my father-in-law. I am running mono on it , its been a long time since I used one of those- no mistaken the scream of the reel when you hit a fish, unlike some of the new reels that have to be adjusted to get the ratchet noise loud enough so you can hear it if you are not paying attention.
its going to be a noisy spring fishery for us eh , guess I'll have to stock some ear plugs on board now. mind you I usually have a pair in when your around anyway:p
this 6" recorder I picked up sounds like a friggen winch lol

another peetz to try next week

IMG_0754[1].jpgIMG_0755[1].jpgI just picked up another one for spring slaying. looks like pre 1977 as it has wooden handles and slotted screws. It measures 4.5 inches across. The fellow I purchased from was a reel collector and said it was 8/10. I do not even have to clean up or service it all ready to go , going to renew the line on it ., im curious has anyone ever had one of these split because it never had any backing? the 6' one I have was around for many years without any backing. Hookin-up and I will be giving these things a whirl next week. Hopefully we will find some winter springs to test them out on.

Attachments

• IMG_0753[1].jpg
    IMG_0753[1].jpg
    98 KB · Views: 277
Go Green, I have pieces of a few reels that I can show you lol, all were left with mono on them. I don't do that anymore!

Killer, you are sick, actually I am totally jealous - my big dream for next summer was to be the guy to use Peetz for tuna! That must have been a total gongshow!!! Well done.

Tried a Peetz tuna fishing. Worked great. Everyone laughed but the old Peetz handled it no problem.

We caught some Yf tuna from a sailboat in Mexico using a Peetz reel... I've never seen a reel scream like that. I watched a guy blow his hand up trying to put the brakes on a 30# football :D

I am going to put some backing on them as per your advice. over the years we have never just have never had any reel split from not having backing on them. I am wondering if it was a specific type of mono that had such high shrinkage?

I would say this one never had backing, still seems functional just pushed the brass plate off the drum, and you can actually see
where the mono shrunk into the drum
Rich, love the new sig line lol!!

2ygahe6y.jpg

Smiley, It worked out better than I thought. The hard part was to slow the tuna down so I could play with the drag. After that piece of cake. Next year in the Bamfield shoot out we might fish all Peetz for one day just because.

We caught some Yf tuna from a sailboat in Mexico using a Peetz reel... I've never seen a reel scream like that. I watched a guy blow his hand up trying to put the brakes on a 30# football :D

Dam that would hurt. We had them cranked right down and when they hit those reels really spin. Only 9 months to go.

Back