Peetz reels

spring fever

My wife gave me an antique peetz reel for Xmas-seems in good shape although I've never seen so much line of various types on one reel. I've never fished a peetz reel-lots of you have and I was wondering if there are any identifying marks which might give me a clue as to how old it is. I might even restore it and have a go with it!! Thanks guys for any help.

There is a great book "Peetz - A Reel for all Times" that will give you more information.

A couple of general items;
1977 - the slot screws in the knobs were replaced by Robertson screws
1979 - plastic handles replaced wood handles

There are other clues, but first identify if it pre or post 1977.

There are also in between versions. I have a reel that has slotted screws, (pre 1977) that has a stick on label "Peetz Mfg (1977) Ltd". This is obviously made in 1977 after the name change and before they began burning the insignia into the wood. Also before they switched to robertson screws.

I don't fish mine, but have them to look at. They are classic Canadian fishing equipment.

Thanks for the info. This has slotted screws and wood handles also a simple peetz decal with no year. I probably won't fish it either but I would like to get it in as good a shape as possible.

Fish it.
There are too many around to be a collectors item, so you might as well enjoy it.
No one way drag, but it's a classic.
I still use my Peetz as the reel on the 3rd rod on my boat. Stil catch fish with it.

If your in vic take it down to the factory they are on rock bay ave Im sure they could shed some light on vintage etc.
I have them on my wall looking good on some old bamboo rods. I remember the good ol days of burning the C&@p out of your pinky finger on them tons of fun .

Good luck wolf

They are great trolling reels but if you are going to use it put on about 100 yards of dacron before you put on the mono as mono shrinks after it gets wet and you could crack the spool.
I got my first one in the mid 60's and it is still going strong.

I love the old peetz reels, In fact that's what I use on my Hali rod. Mine was handed down to me from my dad(1980) and about 2 years ago I had to have it rebuilt so I took it to the factory on Rock Bay and for $7.00 I had them rebuild it. I hope I never quit fishing with it.... Steve.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!
fish.gif

Still have quite the handful of these old-timers laying around, a couple (or more) in each size they produced. Even have one of the extremely limited run that had a huge brass swing-arm attached to one of the handles. That opens up to give you HUGE leverage when battling a fish. BUT, they were recalled almost as soon as they went out - seems they failed to notice that when a large fish went into a blistering run, the over-sized arm deployed, and could literally rip your hand right off! :D
I did try it a couple of times, and managed to keep my fingers and hands attached, but very much saw the problem! So now it nicely adorns the mantle.

Still like to dust them off from time to time, and give them a go. Landed a lot of good fish with them over time, and my Pa absolutely insists we have one on-board when he comes along to play. Kinda like stepping back in time.

Pay attention to what Big Bob suggested about backing! I have exploded one myself, as has a Buddy with another of mine. Thanks and KUDOS to the Fine Folks at their shop, they were both up and running within days! Fast service, and they will refurbish any of their products for a very good price!

The book is a great read of the history, etc. Well worth picking up!;)

Cheers,
Nog

ironnoggin I have one of the old swing out arms but it has a spring loaded return , was great for snapping onto your fingers if you were a bit slow in getting the hand away !

AL

I use mine for Halibut. I like it better than a level wind reel. It's great leverage for winding up those 2 lb balls from 200'.

I have three use them for hali fishing. I like the feel of the big single action. Have proven to be low maintance and reliable.

Interesting thread... It had me remember a trip to the Cumberland SuperStore (aka da dump[:I])

Picked up a old bamboo trolling rod with Peetz attached.

I was going to refurbish the rod, but lost interest so I took it to the Campbell River Auction. I had a grin from ear to ear when it sold for $110! :D

Damn, I miss that dump!!! [:eek:)]

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

Probably right and I didn't get the bamboo rod-but it's better getting fishing equipment than socks. It's the thought that counts-next year I'll point her in the direction of that new Rapala reel or come to think of it an extra tank of boat gas!!!!

If you dont want it try and sell and the auction mentioned above. **** I might take some of my old crap up there [8D]

Fish the peetz!!
Those are my favorite reels for trolling, there is nothing like fighting a big salmon on a peetz. You really feel the fish. I also fish shimano 4000's, but prefer the old timer.:)

Ya know,I was gonna buy a new reel this year but after reading this thread I'm going to bust out that old Peetz from back in the day and fish the ***** out of it and see what happens

I have a bunch of them from days of yore and was thinking I would spool up one of the smaller ones for next year just for fun.

Always have at least one on the boat at all times. A 5" for the troll rod straight out the back with 2 lbs. of weight, and
2-6" loaded with 80 lb. braid for hali fishin'. Just got another 5" I'm gonna restore for my younger brother as he's just
starting to get into fishing in the chuck.

My Dad just had two of these fixed up and we were discussing the best way to spool them. Do you guys put braid on first and then a certain length of mono or use all braid to stop the line from wrecking the reel? He will be using them for salmon.
Thanks

On my 5" Peetz for salmon I put 150 ft. of 50 lb. Dacron on first for backing,followed by 300 yds. of 30 lb. mono,and it
fills the spool perfectly. No need to use expensive braid,as the dacron is only $3-$4 for a 100 ft. For the bigger 6"
model I use 250 ft. of 50 lb. dacron and 350 yds. of 80 lb. tuffline braid for halibut. This also fills the spool perfectly. The
best knot I've found for joining braid or dacron to mono is the double uni knot.Hope this helps you thawk.

Back