Hooks on Gibbs Spoons.

Off Sooke this morning and as I have issues with Gibbs Spoons I figured I pull a brand new one out of the package , was planning on replacing but find I’m all out of replacement open eyes. So I drop her down , not a sniff for 1.5hrs then a pin popper that starts running, 4 -5minutes later I get it beside the boat it’s a high teen’r , nice, then I just about get my face taken off by the flasher. Fish is gone and so is the hook ,brand new Gibbs spoon. Total garbage …..the ring is intact, hook completely missing
I wonder if you had one that the rings were not welded? Last month out Sooke way the No Bananas Wee G spoon was the hot ticket. Well I didn't have one so I picked one up and when I went to remove it from the package the hook with the ring fell off the spoon, ended up installing split rings on both ends.

I have a skinny G from a few years back that has twice the metal in it than the new ones. It holds paint better and doesn't get bent out of shape by thrashing fish.
An old thread under the hook replacement thread currently active, but you probably had the Needle G which is 2-3 x as thick as the Skinny G. Better for fast winter trolling, can be used for casting. Not many stores stock them but they are available. Obviously, they would hold their shape a lot better.

Last edited:
I don’t have problems with the hooks, I do bend the point of the hook over a bit more so it is not inline with the shank of the hook… but I think most do this. I have more issue with paint coming off fairly easy. Still better value than bait which is one and done.

I don’t have problems with the hooks, I do bend the point of the hook over a bit more so it is not inline with the shank of the hook… but I think most do this. I have more issue with paint coming off fairly easy. Still better value than bait which is one and done.
Canadian Tire anchovies and herring $19.95 per pack

Back