Hooks on Gibbs Spoons.

Newf

Crew Member
Posting in a new thread rather than adding to the fishing reports.

As mentioned in a previous report I have had 3 hooks fail on Gibbs spoons so far this year. (Skinny G and Wee G) Others have noted that they have had the same issue and have been swapping out hooks on their spoons as soon as they buy them. I reached out to Gibbs and they replied that they are aware and are working with Mustad on the issue but said that they have not had very much negative feedback from fishers and noted that its hard to fix something if they don't know how big of a problem it is when no one is reporting it. Obviously they are "aware" but not sure how much effort they are putting into fixing the problem. Simply swapping to a better grade hook or to a Stainless hook would work. It would add to their cost but a "good" hook on a spoon is a must have.

These are high carbon steel hooks and very brittle. Any little nick or speck of corrosion will definitely increase the risk of failure.

Just swap hooks before they hit the water or you will loose fish it’s unfortunate it has to come to that but the spoons do produce lots of fish
Sorta like buying a new truck and putting new rims and tires on you don’t need to but you’ll look a lot cooler at the end of the day

Buy aptackleworks spoons instead. They work great and come with high quality hooks
I agree that the quality is much better and know that a lot of folks like them. I bought a set of 7 or 8 a few years back but they have never produced for me compared to the Wee G or Skinny G or even compared to the cheap coho killers. Not sure why,,,,wrong leader length????

I agree that the quality is much better and know that a lot of folks like them. I bought a set of 7 or 8 a few years back but they have never produced for me compared to the Wee G or Skinny G or even compared to the cheap coho killers. Not sure why,,,,wrong leader length????
I only like the sandlance for dragging bottom in the winter

I hear you buddy. I love the look and quality of AP spoons. I own over a dozen and they don’t produce like a skinny g or coho killer for me either. I know others who slay with them… one of life’s mysteries!

None of the hooks any of the big names put on their spoons are any good. Silver Horde, Gibbs or Admundson. I personally don't like chemically sharpened hooks. You touch them up with a file and they are rotted away by the next trip.

I have a skinny G from a few years back that has twice the metal in it than the new ones. It holds paint better and doesn't get bent out of shape by thrashing fish.

On the subject of hooks; wish salmon jig mfg's would get away from trebles. It's an added expense to swap them out.

Back