one pissed off customer

my guess is that it was the sub out installer that fawked it up..

I would stay away from anything at home depot other than a can of paint!

Just my personal opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ikea was the source for the cabin kitchen. My good wif is a seriously handy girl and she installed. I did some grunt work and the kicks.

Price was right and doors were wood and hardware excellent. Been a year and a half and all is good.

Ikea instructions give me a migraine.

Valley Kitchen is your best bet,I work on alot of the jobs he's on and he comes in on time....that means alot!

Forget about ikea,bin there done that,same price going with the local guys!

Not sure about local guys up island, but local guys in Victoria are easily 25-35% more $ for same layout. If your space requires custom cabinetry , then you will need to go with local guys.

As far as ikea kitchens being generic, I can say that I have worked on some nice homes with some far from generic ikea kitchens. If money is not a major issue, go custom.

I'll go with Dave on that.
Just pricing out a new kitchen right now, Ikea about 40% less. So about $4000 saved.
Wired a fancy house up on Bear Mountain that had Ikea cabinets, actually were pretty good.
Takes awhile to assemble but in my case its my labour so I'd rather keep the dough in my pocket.
Built some Home Depot cabinets in my last reno they're sort of okay......
I wonder if it was the install? The guys complaining about.

Dan.

just did a kitchen through home hardware here in courtenay. have to say it tuned out great. The prices were close to ikea but if your like me my time is money and i did not have the time to put the ikea puzzel together.

Order from Ikea and have it delivered.

No offense intended but,IMHO based on 25 years of doing it,that is by far the worst advise any one person could give another.Well right behind home Depot anyway. I have fixed way too many jobs for people who thought they would save a couple bucks from going with the box stores. They always look good up front but seldom finish up the way people expect.(Price or quality) That has been the majority of my experience when dealing with people who have gone that route.That's not to say all,but definitely most.Buy from a local manufacturer of your choice .Sit down with a designer that can actually walk out of their office and talk to the people building it.Hell in many cases if the job is highly customized you can meet and discuss your vision with the guy who will be doing the custom work.

Before I get the what for from those who know me,yes I work for a local shop. No I do not like the idea of IKEA taking business from the local shops. And no that is not why I chimed in on this one.I did so because of just what I said, My personal dealings with customers of box store kitchens.

Cheers: Ray

No offense intended but,IMHO based on 25 years of doing it,that is by far the worst advise any one person could give another.

Wow, the worst advice any one person could give another? OK, that's your opinion, be it a strong and obnoxious one.

Not every client has the extra $ in their budget to build custom cabinetry, so why not go with a large manufacturer, use the design tools available or have a design done by a contractor and have skilled finishing carpenter assemble and install. I'm not trying to take work from you but you are implying that myself and contractors like me are not capable of building quality kitchens and baths using ikea cabinetry. Maybe the only jobs you are called in to fix are the ones that put together by hacks? Maybe you don't get the chance to check out the quality jobs.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion

I am not allowed to say about Parker Marine and me or this thread will be deleted. But I am sure there of others that can share thier stories about getting riped off with out the thread getting deleted.

But as for CV Marine.. Great service, if they don't have it...seems to be there the next morning for you. You will reconize the faces as it all the guys that left Parker Marine. Offering the servive that we as boaters need. The stores inventory is much bigger and fresher then that building has ever seen with more toys comming in all the time. They are going to a carring Lowrance real soon. Plus they have a online cataloge that you can call them with the page and part number and they will get it in for you.

Used to take our Pursuit to Parker as they were a Pursuit dealer and knew the boats well...no longer are as far as I can tell and last year we took our boats to the operation where most of the guys from Parker switched to...so assuming CV Marine, my old man took it down, I was still back in Ottawa...he said he loved the work they did, although they did leave the idle rpm's on my dads engines ridiculously high, had to get that fixed up in Hardy but they paid for it...so not too big of a deal and a very quick fix.

Wow, the worst advice any one person could give another? OK, that's your opinion, be it a strong and obnoxious one.

Not every client has the extra $ in their budget to build custom cabinetry, so why not go with a large manufacturer, use the design tools available or have a design done by a contractor and have skilled finishing carpenter assemble and install. I'm not trying to take work from you but you are implying that myself and contractors like me are not capable of building quality kitchens and baths using ikea cabinetry. Maybe the only jobs you are called in to fix are the ones that put together by hacks? Maybe you don't get the chance to check out the quality jobs.

Disclaimer: this is just my opinion

First off my statement was not a personal attack on you. So if it came off that way then I would like to apologize right off the bat. It was my opinion based on many years of experience being part of serving all levels of customers from bathroom reno's to 5 million dollar homes with cabinetry reaching well beyond 150k

Yes it maybe was a little harsh to say "Worst advice one person can give another". Fair enough
I certainly was not saying that ikea kitchens can not be nice,if as you pointed out are assembled and installed by a skilled carpenter.Heck even a good handy man can pull it off now and then. I made a point of saying It has been the "majority of my experience". I definitely did not imply that everyone should or will be buying a custom kitchen, To state a fact the single largest customer base of the three shops I have worked at have been contractors and a large majority of the thousands of kitchens I have built have been spec homes.You might be surprised to find out that in most cases those kitchens were bought for very near or often less than most of the big retailers. Ikea included.That included delivery and installation and more importantly service afterwards.As far as large manufacturers go . I spent more than 15 years at one of BC's largest.In fact that kitchen mentioned above (by fish4all)bought from home hardware in Courtenay was built by them.I would recommend them (the manufacturer)any time in their market(Kelowna) where they can service, represent and provide local jobs..Just as I would have recommended a local shop over their product from Home Hardware here.

Quote "Maybe the only jobs you are called in to fix are the ones that put together by hacks?"
Not the case at all, In fact lots were contractors who thought they could save a couple hundred bucks. They bought their next one from us. but I will note that you are correct. I most likely would not ever get called to see the good ones.

At the end of the day if local builders in your market are finding it better for them to buy from the likes of Ikea,then I would say their is a hole in that market that needs to be filled by a shop that would provide local jobs
and quality product and service for guys like you. I just do not like the trend of large multinational corporations taking local jobs away.The jobs they do create are on the lower end of the pay rate and it makes it harder for guys like me to get raises,better benefits ect wen the companies we work for have to try to compete with billion dollar advertising and the appearance of big savings. (Witch often dose not always end up being the case) But yes can and dose at times too.

Oh well that's my opinion.

I have to say, that as a first year (11 months) boat owner, the guys at CV Marine have been fantastic. I've been in there many times they could have easily up sold or easily even fleeced me. Instead they've given me great advice, direction and have even saved me a bunch of dough a few times. Nice guys to boot. In return, they get a loyal customer who has full trust in them. I have no reason to go elsewhere and have no problem recommending them.

Used to take our Pursuit to Parker as they were a Pursuit dealer and knew the boats well...no longer are as far as I can tell and last year we took our boats to the operation where most of the guys from Parker switched to...so assuming CV Marine, my old man took it down, I was still back in Ottawa...he said he loved the work they did, although they did leave the idle rpm's on my dads engines ridiculously high, had to get that fixed up in Hardy but they paid for it...so not too big of a deal and a very quick fix.

CV Marine is going to be the new Pursuit Dealer....... Parker Marine lost that as well as thier staff.... Haha

I have heard lots of good things about HD installs. Their policy is to not pay installers until the customer is happy. I got a good deal on some carpet when I found a lower price and they beat it by 10%.
Just my experience.
When I see someone that pissed about something I tend to assume they are the type of person who gets pissed off by everything!

I have heard lots of good things about HD installs. Their policy is to not pay installers until the customer is happy. I got a good deal on some carpet when I found a lower price and they beat it by 10%.
Just my experience.
When I see someone that pissed about something I tend to assume they are the type of person who gets pissed off by everything!

this is part of the problem tho... the cheapo depot keeps them so busy at such a low rate they do not and cannot make time for call backs or even lose money nor lose a customer,, they just bang off another job.
as far as pricing goes ,, ya they beat anyone, do you not ask yourself why?, i am in the middle of a huge reno on my own home,, i took my price from home depot, then went to a private local supplier and supported them by paying a small fraction more, i say fack home depot and all the local economies they have destroyed by supplying undercut installers and products made to sell for less than anyone else can touch. maybe spending 1.05 instead of .99 would keep all of us ahead of our american corporate failing giants....

The cheaper the product the harder it is to put together. I sold office furniture and carried lower end home type furniture for a while and dropped it. The profit went to the installers extra time to assemble it and the customers returning it because the average person doesn't have the skill or patience to put it together.

When we built our shop last spring I bought a shower from home depot for the bathroom. Our plumber would not even put it in.. Piece of sh^t he said. I would cost us more on the install than than buy one from a plumbing supply place.

I also needed a bathroom vanity. I used Martin , only about 100 more than the cheapest white crap home depot sells, and that was installed. Home depot price was not installed.

Back