Fluky Fishing Moment

seahorse

Crew Member
I’m sure we all have had fluky fishing moments, my wife and I had one today. We were bottom fishing off Flores Islet off the south end of Hornby Island. I snagged bottom and finally had to tie off the braid onto the cleat. The line snapped at the boat and I lost the 100 ft of braid and a really nice ling cod jig. I was pissed, I changed jigs and continued fishing for another 15 minutes or so and we decided to pull our gear and head home. My wife pulled up her gear and my braid was wrapped on her jig. I pulled in the line and got my jig back, pure luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpeg
    IMG_0324.jpeg
    574 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
13 years ago off Ucluelet, buddy brings in a decent spring to the boat, trying to net it this side and that as it darts around... the fish was spastic and eventually tied up into the main prop and snapped off. .... well after a few minutes I see this salmon swimming behind the boat, all confused im starring at it wondering what the hell, look closer and can see a lure in its mouth and line running direct to the prop where it was snagged up..
lifted the motor some, grabbed the line and hand bombed a mid teen spring into the boat.
Was the craziest thing to witness.

I love hearing these stories.

Think it was 4 years ago, must have been because the SOG was open in August. I had been fishing there everyday pretty much like normal. That year I was running my favorite little custom white hootch. It was getting pounded daily. Think it was 40lb mono. Fishing the T10 that afternoon. Get into a nice fish. Mid to high teener. Get snapped off. Liter snapped right below the flasher. Liter was probly dicked and I'm sure it was the reason it snapped. Anyway, lost my fav hootchie. Next day same spot hooked into lots of fish. Land this nice little mid teener. I'm dressing it out at the end of the day and I notice some mono hanging out the mouth of this fish. Out from his gut, comes my white hootch. My custom white hootch. Was pretty happy

Years ago fishing off owens point port Renfrew have a good knock down and feels like a nice fish. We play it to about 6' from the boat and look at our flasher and teaser head out of the water and the fish still fighting. We let it tire and hand lined it close enough to net. As soon as lifted in the net the line came loose from our hooks. Somehow we caught someones broke off fish with our rig tangled on their leader.

A few years back we were fishing the raceway at Camel Rock, Nootka Sound along with a million other boats who were mostly ignoring each others right away. The usual August cluster f—-k. A subtle tap on the downrigger so we released the clip and nothing so we assumed a miss. Bringing up the downrigger to reload I noticed someone else’s braid was tangled around ours and sure enough to our delight there was a teener swimming politely beside us with a 3” army truck and flasher ready for pick up.

I was fishing solo near Harbour Entrance in Barkley. Fishing was hot.
I landed a decent chinook to go with two boxed Cohoes, lifted him out of the net, then the other rod went off.
Grabbed it with my slimey mitts. I don't have that set up any more.
White flasher, skinny g, technium rod, Shimano 4000.
Am I doing this right?

Last edited:
Last year off WH brother-in-law hooked up a chicken hali on the troll gear, brings it up beside the boat and as he lifts his rod the hoochie pops out as I was reaching across the boat for the gaff. I look back over the side and its still laying there upside down. Swing of the gaff and the chicken hali is in the boat. Br-in-law waws very pleased after he finished cussing.

Here’s another one, about 5 years ago we were trolling in front of where the Hoiss Point lodge used to be in Nootka. I have fairly nice towels on board that I use to wipe my hands and the floor from blood. I accidently dropped it overboard and watched it float away and sink. We were tacking back and forth in the same area, pulled my downriggers up to go back to the cabin and my towel was wrapped onto the downrigger braid, bizarre.

It’s 1974—I‘d been hitch hiking my way through South America and I’d met a farmer who lived on a lake. Lucky me—-he leant me his rowboat.

So there I was trolling for landlocked salmon in Lago Ranco, Chile. I had a spinning rod the guy leant me and was trolling a spoon...deep. Next to it I had my fly rod and was towing a fly on the surface

All of a sudden the fly rod gets a huge take-down and wtf—-it levitates like there’s an invisible hand on it and goes flying off the back of the boat and disappears down into the black depths of the lake.

Lago Ranco is one of the deepest lakes in South America—-over 250 meters deep in some places. I was crushed losing that fly rod—-I figured that was it. But I did a slow circle around with the row boat thinking maybe....just maybe... the spoon on the spinning rod might....nah....no way

I get the boat back more or less to where I got the take down and wow, another take down on the spoon rod!

This one like I said was fishing deep....I reel and reel and reel and OMG, up from the depths comes my fly rod—- the spoon had snagged into one of the guides!!!~. I reel it up, get my hands on it and OMG squared—-the fish is still on!

I know....I know...no pics it didn’t happen....ha ha—-gotcha!

503E3BE2-8CD5-4281-831E-C393039520D3.jpeg

I hooked and landed a nice rod tip one time. A couple hours later a guy came down the river and said he’d lost it a few days before.
Lemme know if you find a trevala with a green 6/3 LX avet around Jordan River lol. Sad day just a couple months back. I don't even want to talk about it 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Mid July last year I was fishing with the wife at pill point we had three rod on separate downriggers. Ten minutes in we get a double hitter so we get these under control and to the boat when we realized the third rod popped of the clip so reel it in and no fish so I get it to the boat anchovy teaser and all in then I go to re-bait and the wife says to me you better bring in the spoon if your putting on the teaser head I looked at her all lost and confused cause I was fishing bait sure enough there was a 6-7’ leader looped into the treble hook with a spoon tied to the end with an unpinched barb on the hook. I have been fishing that spoon ever since with great success.

I caught a submerged crab trap n float on my downrigger cannonball that had a new salty dawg flasher, a couple of spoons and some teaser heads with terminal tackle all wrapped around it, so I guess the trap had been down there a while and catching all sorts of people.

Trolling Nahwitti by myself, out of nowhere the kicker makes a very unhappy noise, like it's ingested a piece of wood. Turn it off, go back to see what the heck I ran into. Look down to see something dangling from the prop guard. Poke a round with the gaff trying to hook whatever it was, don't get it but watch a headless salmon slowly sink into the deep. Trim the kicker up to find a flasher and about 30' of line wrapped up in the prop. Look around, expecting to see someone with a rod in hand and an unhappy look on their face. Not a single boat it stopped, no one has a rod in their hands. Must have been a fish that broke off, and had the poor turn of luck to get the loose end of the line picked up by my kicker, and got pulled head first into the prop. Still have the flasher.

I have two rather strange stories. Both occurred in the China Creek area. I was in a derby which ran on the weekend following the Labour Day Derby. It ended at noon. Around 11 AM we saw a fish swimming around towing a flasher and it had an army truck hootchie in its mouth. We chased that thing in circles for about 5 minutes before it disappeared. We decided to call it a day and were hauling up the downriggers. To our surprise the line had tangled in the rigger cable and we netted the fish, flasher and hootchie. The fish was 22 pounds and got us second place.

The second oddity occurred when we were fishing out front of CC using plugs. Hauled in our gear and one of the plugs was gone. Was kind of pissed about that but oh well. Docked at CC for the night and the next morning when we headed down to get ready to fish again, the plug was floating in our slip at the rear of the boat. No line attached to it. Floating freely. Meant to be I guess.

I have two rather strange stories. Both occurred in the China Creek area. I was in a derby which ran on the weekend following the Labour Day Derby. It ended at noon. Around 11 AM we saw a fish swimming around towing a flasher and it had an army truck hootchie in its mouth. We chased that thing in circles for about 5 minutes before it disappeared. We decided to call it a day and were hauling up the downriggers. To our surprise the line had tangled in the rigger cable and we netted the fish, flasher and hootchie. The fish was 22 pounds and got us second place.

The second oddity occurred when we were fishing out front of CC using plugs. Hauled in our gear and one of the plugs was gone. Was kind of pissed about that but oh well. Docked at CC for the night and the next morning when we headed down to get ready to fish again, the plug was floating in our slip at the rear of the boat. No line attached to it. Floating freely. Meant to be I guess.
I have similar, but different, story. We were in Salmon Arm one year at my dads cabin. We were doing our regular float in my Maxum across the lake, drinking beer and listening to music way too loud. There were no facilities on that vessel and unfortunately the previous nights taco dinner came back with a vengeance. I jumped in the water and had at it, but it was a mess. Despite the lubrcation, things broke off in the worst way. The only thing I could find to try and clean up the mess with was a budwesier box. We head home later and pass out. Wake up the next morning and go to sit on the beach with my coffee and what washes up at my feet? The king of beers box.

Hard to beat that last one…wow.

A few years back, we were fishing in the pack at the green can when my uncles rod goes off. This fish is screaming line and I remind him “when you get a second get your downrigger ball up as it comes up quick here.”
Too late. his downrigger cannon is snagged right at the south end of the green can where it comes up to 80 feet. he’s fighting this fish and my boat is pretty much dead in the water. I can’t do anything to help him at this moment. Anyways, we get the fish in and I dispatch it. I then circle around to see if I can retrieve my cannon from the ocean floor. it starts coming up ; albeit very very slowly. finally get my cannon up and I see that I’m snagged on someone else’s braid. I put on some leather gloves and I start hand bombing it in and I retrieved a brand new shiny 15 pound cannonball with a beautiful snubber set up. What a catch.

Hard to beat that last one…wow.

A few years back, we were fishing in the pack at the green can when my uncles rod goes off. This fish is screaming line and I remind him “when you get a second get your downrigger ball up as it comes up quick here.”
Too late. his downrigger cannon is snagged right at the south end of the green can where it comes up to 80 feet. he’s fighting this fish and my boat is pretty much dead in the water. I can’t do anything to help him at this moment. Anyways, we get the fish in and I dispatch it. I then circle around to see if I can retrieve my cannon from the ocean floor. it starts coming up ; albeit very very slowly. finally get my cannon up and I see that I’m snagged on someone else’s braid. I put on some leather gloves and I start hand bombing it in and I retrieved a brand new shiny 15 pound cannonball with a beautiful snubber set up. What a catch.
Sounds like a @Stizzla love story.

Back