Older Fisher or Cruiser?

steel

What is the best boat to buy for 10K to 16k that is around 23-26' and can handle off-shore seas when rough?
Given my budget it needs to be an older boat. Also, although I plan to fish, I will also cruise, so I would consider a cruiser...
Is there an older cruiser that is as good in rough seas as an older Grady (just for example)? Or would you stick to the fisher?

26 Hourston.

The Sangster Marlin is a good hull to look at too.

Tenmile ignores bayliner haters (I don't mind them)......

He must like 2x4 stringers ;) :D

I like the older classics too! There are many good old boats out there to be had at a steal in this economy; you just have to look and bide your time.

Some of the newer boats are awesome no doubt, but you'll have to buck-up. Good deals north & south of the border.

I bought an older Zeta and repowered with a brand new Merc V-6 sterndrive. If I had a chance to do it over again, I'd have saved a bit more and bought a new or low-hour Cummins/Mercruiser set up. Real torque monsters and they sip gas like a tea-granny at the Empress.

New, or near-new power is paramount!

Sangster (pre-73'), Double Eagle, Hourston, Fiberform(pre-Bayliner takeover), Grady, Uniflite, Tollycraft are but a few.

The only 'B' word you'll ever see on the side of a boat I'd own is - Bertram (or maybe Beechcraft).

Of course now you'll have to listen to other opinionated butt-holes like me bury you in the outboard vs sterndrive debacle.

What is the best boat to buy for 10K to 16k that is around 23-26' and can handle off-shore seas when rough?
Given my budget it needs to be an older boat. Also, although I plan to fish, I will also cruise, so I would consider a cruiser...
Is there an older cruiser that is as good in rough seas as an older Grady (just for example)? Or would you stick to the fisher?
You get what you pay for. A 16k boat wouldn't be my 1st choice of boat offshore

I got a 29' Campion cruiser/fisher. It has well proven it's name as the former but yet to provide me the latter. ;)

26 Hourston.

The Sangster Marlin is a good hull to look at too.

Tenmile ignores bayliner haters (I don't mind them)......

He must like 2x4 stringers ;) :D

Yep, those Sangsters and Hourston's have stringers made of gold bars that never rot -- they got the idea from Grady White. ;-)

I have an 83 Commander 26 Sport Fish... I doubt you'll find any of those in your price range, but I went from a Grady to the Commander when my wife got pregnant and she wanted something more versatile so we could cruise... I do believe you can find some Commander imitators out there in your price range. I had to make some major mods to make it a practical fisher, like a kicker with Garmin TR-1 remote, and modified some storage for fish-holds... but all in all it's great boat, keeps everyone warm and dry on cold days, and has a great fishing platform.

Attachments

• IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 193
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 189
Last edited by a moderator:
It's my radar.. put over 10k into new electronics... I can fish and watch sports now... but it hasn't helped me find more fish... lol

I second the commander...but not anywhere near that price range.
How about an early 90's Sea Ray Sundancer 250? Very comfortable cruiser with lots of space for fishing.

^^^^^ is that your radar mounted on the front or a boat parked beside you?

It shows in front well.... :D

That commander is a beauty... It reminds me of the older Zeta CB's.. no?

Going to have to say 23 Hourston with removable rear seats ( just found the pic button)

Attachments

• Picture 095.jpg
    Picture 095.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 130
  • Picture 227.jpg
    Picture 227.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 122
  • Picture 217.jpg
    Picture 217.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 251.jpg
    Picture 251.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 114
  • Picture 141.jpg
    Picture 141.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 115
there is a 25 bertram dual inboards on british columbia boats for sale those are roughwater boats

Descent price but it is missing all the cuddy cushions, outboard doesn't look too well kept and it will be a fuel hog. Other than that looks good. You really need to go thru older grady's to look for rot, not saying it is but they are prone to it just like all boats with wood in them. If i was looking for a boat in that size range I would look for a hourston 23, classic lines.

Those Commander's are great boats; I remember Vancouver Police Marine Units were running them back in the late 70's & 80's.

Thing to remember about older glass boats is that resin & cloth was dirt-cheap back in the 60's & 70's and the better boat builders didn't skimp on glass to save production costs. I tracked down Mike Hutcheson of Zeta Boats (formerly of Sangster boats, as was the guy that started Campion boats) and Mike told me that they used so much glass to encapsulate the stringers on Zeta's that it basically don't matter if there's still wood in there or not.

The hull on my Zeta-19' is 5/8" thick - everywhere.

There's a 28' Uniflite (Mega) flybridge w/twin Crusaders & V/drives for $5/K on UsedVictoria. One prop is hosed (hit a reef) but it's basically being given away. Yes, it's a 'blister-boat' but the word is that is not a factor in our Northern climes.

The deals are out there. You just gotta' hunt.

Good luck!

Campion, good bad, which one?

What do you think of the Campions in the 22-24' range? Is there a year(s) to avoid?
Thanks

Descent price but it is missing all the cuddy cushions, outboard doesn't look too well kept and it will be a fuel hog. Other than that looks good. You really need to go thru older grady's to look for rot, not saying it is but they are prone to it just like all boats with wood in them. If i was looking for a boat in that size range I would look for a hourston 23, classic lines.

I'd say Grady's have a good reputation.. but remember, they're still mass produced production line boats. I loved my Grady, I miss it from time to time (when I wanna just run out for a quick fish, or wanna trailer somewhere). They do rot out though and many older models have serious transom issues. I'd also be weary of the ones that have been baking in the sun down south...

Back