Old fishing pics from Strait of Georgia anyone?

JEZZZUS I must be loosin it ...... 17 years ! Seems like yesterday. Still great fish for Van area and their Genes r out there some where !

Tanx Peahead

HT

I was 9or so at the tail end of the Brentwood fishery. My best buddy's folks had a family cabin at Willis point. We used to jig everywhere in a little 9 foot row boat. It was awesome, time of my life. We did that for a few summers, and then he got a 13ft whaler with a 40 Johnson. We would get woken up at 6am or earlier, by those blue and yellow rental boats chugging along. We'd get up, eat bfast, and head out. We would fish till dark, stopping only for lunch and dinner. Our biggest was 21 pounds, which I don't know how a couple 11 year olds landed in a 9 ft rowboat!
His grampa, who grew up fishing in the Bay, had loads of stories every night for us. The one that sticks in my mind was a story of a monster 60 pounder. He told us that he had it curled in the bathtub. Head and tail curling up at each end of the tub. My buddy and I used to sit and stare at that tub when we couldn't fish because of weather. We would speculate at how far the head must have stuck out, or how far the tail must have been sticking out......great times.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 9or so at the tail end of the Brentwood fishery. My best buddy's folks had a family cabin at Willis point. We used to jig everywhere in a little 9 foot row boat. It was awesome, time of my life. We did that for a few summers, and then he got a 13ft whaler with a 40 Johnson. We would get woken up at 6am or earlier, by those blue and yellow rental boats chugging along. We'd get up, eat bfast, and head out. We would fish till dark, stopping only for lunch and dinner. Our biggest was 21 pounds, which I don't know how a couple 11 year olds landed in a 9 ft rowboat!
His grampa, who grew up fishing in the Bay, had loads of stories every night for us. The one that sticks in my mind was a story of a monster 60 pounder. He told us that he had it curled in the bathtub. Head and tail curling up at each end of the tub. My buddy and I used to sit and stare at that tub when we couldn't fish because of weather. We would speculate at how far the head must have stuck out, or how far the tail must have been sticking out......great times.

Yep was probably us....sunday ritual; with my dad head out just before first light on the yellow brentwood chuggers..... I was 5 when we started fished brentwood so got to see it in prime time years....Really wish we could have it back.... at that time it was basically tack into bamberton and hug the cement plant.... Always got fish all along there.... I haven't been able to find old pics of Gilberts marine or brentwood boats fishing that shoreline....

This was the early 80's Powell River when we had herring. Guys I worked with used to rake them off the floats at night because of the powerful lights in mill booming grounds

Yep was probably us....sunday ritual; with my dad head out just before first light on the yellow brentwood chuggers..... I was 5 when we started fished brentwood so got to see it in prime time years....Really wish we could have it back.... at that time it was basically tack into bamberton and hug the cement plant.... Always got fish all along there.... I haven't been able to find old pics of Gilberts marine or brentwood boats fishing that shoreline....

I fished the Brentwood as well when I was a kid. I would spend all summer there. We where the first private dock next to the chuggers. Probably spent 8 years there. Grandparents house was 3 down from the Brentwood inn. Give a 10 year old a tin boat and 4hp and you'll never see him till dinner. Some of the best times.

Sent from my C625a using Tapatalk

This is a North Shore News newspaper clipping of a fish an associate of mine guided some guests to in Vancouver Harbour off West Van in 1997 - seems like yesterday as I was listening to the VHF radio as this was landed. Don't think there has been a bigger one landed in Vancouver Harbour since then and probably many years prior either. There has been several in the 40's and I know of a 54 off Ambleside a few years ago. Tincan if you want the actual original photo the fellow may have one otherwise North Shore News could be contacted.

View attachment 10927
Greg is that Mas?

EDIT; nevermind after reading a little further I see it is,
we share the same slip at the creek and I thought it was him

Another pic from the archives.This was off Epsom Point, N. Thormanby. Once again we were anchor mooching with live herring.
Almost everytime we fished there in the summer months of the late eighties we'd limit on coho and get the odd spring for good measure.
Gotta love the shades and the short shorts.

Attachments

• Wilson.jpg
    Wilson.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 668
Gulf Islands

Here is my brother in 1980 with a rock cod caught just off Secret Island which is very close to Saltspring. Now mostly all part of the RCA.....Do seals eat rockfish??? There are soo many seals in the georgia straight area. Keep em coming boys great memories.

Attachments

• rock cod 2.jpg
    rock cod 2.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 467
  • Rockcod 1.jpg
    Rockcod 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 453
Here is my brother in 1980 with a rock codQUOTE]

AHH somethings will never change eh Lucky???
It's always the other guy!!!
I have to give you one though on your linger that would have eaten both that cod and your brother....

Love these old pics!!!!

Wish my neighbour was still around from the early 80's, we had some photos of guy's fighting to be in line at Sewel's in Horseshoe Bay for live herring...not to mention some of the coho we use to catch.
Those were the days of Tom Thompson flying around the straight giving live reports on NW...

Ah..... Bucktails, mention of those nowadays and you get crazy looks

Sent from my C625a using Tapatalk

Here we are in Secret Cove with part of our wild coho catch at Sangster. The hat I'm wearing is a dead giveaway this pic was taken in the eighties.

Love the pic! I'm the communications coordinator for the Pacific Salmon Foundation and we're launching a $20 million research project to help restore the wild coho and Chinook fishery in the Strait of Georgia. I've been looking everywhere for old fishing pics from its heyday to help with our fundraising efforts. I was wondering if you would be willing to donate your photograph for our campaign, we would of course provide a photocredit.

There's a video here and more information about the project: http://www.psf.ca/newsandmedia/blog/psfinthenews/445-strait-of-georgia-restoring-a-lost-fishery

My email is: esun@psf.ca.

Many thanks,
Elayne

Photo Donation

Hello,

I'm the communications coordinator for the Pacific Salmon Foundation and your photo is exactly what we need for our new fundraising campaign. The campaign is a $20 million effort to help restore wild Coho, Chinook and Steelhead in the Strait of Georgia and Salish Sea. The photo illustrates the loss of forage fish, which is a major focal point of the project.

I was wondering if you would be willing to donate the photo to help our fundraising efforts? We would provide a photocredit and be eternally grateful. My contact info is: esun@psf.ca or 604-664-7664 ext. 123.

There's a video and more information about the project here:http://www.psf.ca/newsandmedia/blog/psfinthenews/445-strait-of-georgia-restoring-a-lost-fishery

Many thanks,
Elayne

Back