Old fishing pics from Strait of Georgia anyone?

tincan

This seems like a good a place as any to look for old fishing pics from when the fishery in the Strait of Georgia was humming along before the mid 1990's. Anyone have a few pics of the fishery from back then. I've been asked to dig up a few pics for a presentation the PSF is doing on their project to bring this fishery back and I'd imagine there are a few of you on this forum who were part of that fishery. I google search turned up very little for me other than the pic attached here.

Any pics of boats, fish, old-school moustaches, stubby's, etc would be appreciated. Looking to use a few to help highlight just how massive and important this fishery was. They won't use any pics without your consent so if you are OK with them being in a presentation maybe mention that in your post. Otherwise, I can be the liason via PM. Cheers, tincan.

Attachments

• Active pass fishing boats and ferry 1980.jpg
    Active pass fishing boats and ferry 1980.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1,647
That pic is Active Pass back in the day. Not sure the exact year however. I remember mooching in active pass back when there were 100-200 boats on any given weekend. I now troll through Active/Porlier and lucky to see one other die hard out there. Hoping that changes soon

tyee-club-british-columbia.jpg

I have a couple of old articles from the Times Colonist from 80's with weekly fishing reports and a cool old map with all the "nicknames" of Brentwood fishing holes. Along with a few other things I got when my dad past. We used to fish Brentwood with great success.
If you are interested in copies of these PM me.

Tips

Hey Tincan, what's your email?

There were lots of amazing memories (huge bait balls, schools of sockeye) that we never thought of photographing because that just just the norm. Never thought we'd lose it.

anchor mooching with live bait off Sangster Island in the late eighties.

Attachments

• bb 2.jpg
    bb 2.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,100
Last edited by a moderator:
anchor mooching with live bait off Sangster Island in the late eighties.

Remember that well...in those days my old man had a bit of an elitist attitude towards his chosen method of fishing (strip casting raked bait on the dead drift). He HATED the long weekends when the mainlanders would invade 'his' waters with their anchors and live bait. LOL

I've got a bunch of old pictures I'll dig out. If I remember them correctly they'll likely all contain cut-off blue jeans and big side burns.

PM sent Sangstercraft and Tips Up. Thanks guys.

Beauty pic there Nooky! That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Keep em coming.

Apparently Cowichan bay was the salmon capitol in the 1940's and 1950's long before Campbell river was graced with the title.
The local run eventually succumbed to the heavy pressure and Campbell river took over in the 60's.

oldfish.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember in the 90's when we kept a boat at Anglers Anchorage in brentwood, the marina office was covered with photos of hogs, seemed like hundreds. We were new to fishing and just missed the really good fishing, but still got a few. Now I get excited if I catch a shaker in the inlet :(

Back