OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the great reports guys! Been following the forum for a while but this is the first post! Spent the weekend over at the cabin on Bowen Island. Had a fun day out there today. Tried to run over to Bell Buoy/T10 today but with a 17' hourston it was a little ambitious. Ended up dropping lines in Tunstal. Decent action throughout the morning but nothing sticking. Enjoyed a nice show from 3 orcas that came past roger curtis. Figured the fish were gone but decided to keep at it. Lots of bait around. Just before packing up, boxed a nice 9lb spring at around noon at 60 feet on a skinny g.

Had a great day at Sandheads. Did not turn on for us till just after lunch. Went 3 for 4 in an hour around the green bell bouy. Lost the 4th right at the net when the hook poped out. All fish were at 29 feet on the downrigger in less than 40 feet of water. All 4 fish were an almost identical 14 pounds. Fish finder was a mass of arches in that area.
3 on anchovies in Chrome/black teaser head and the other on green/white coyote spoon.
Saw at least 6 boats get sealed and numerous times saw a seal munching on a salmon.
Think we should just get some hydrophones and broadcast some transient Orca sounds. That might scare them away.

Must say that there were a lot of boats going in all different directions and everyone was very good at keeping watch and not running into people.

I saw you guys lose that fish; too bad, but at least you got a bunch more. My fish was at 30ft on the rigger too.

Can't get out boat motor down for a recall. Buddy texted yesterday...... T10, 30' chovie..... 50 lbs on a calculator.

Driving a bunch of sheet pile out here on the river in Steveston for the next while, just kills me seeing the amount of boats heading out every morning to fish the mouth! Gonna try and sneak a day or two this weekend.

Days
Can't get out boat motor down for a recall. Buddy texted yesterday...... T10, 30' chovie..... 50 lbs on a calculator.

Not trying to be a dink... But 50 lbs sounds like a "fish tale". Ha ha
I thought that size fish in the lower mainland is unheard of these days.

I would love to be wrong on something like this. I wish there are 50 pounders swimming around t10 eyeing my chovie the next time out

Doesn't look huge but he says it was a with a calculator.

Attachments

• 636080763722985365.jpg
    636080763722985365.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 260
Doesn't look huge but he says it was a with a calculator.

Either he didn't measure the girth properly or he made a math error.
Either way that's a nice fish and possibly a tyee
For reference, here's a recent pic of a 50 a friend sent me.

IMG_20160829_141750_01.jpg

A bit doubtful, but hard to tell! My guess it is too 'pretty' to be a monster salmon, 40+ Depending where their natal stream is they get really ugly looking (head shape is a give away) IMO :D

Wonder if playing orca music underwater helps with the seals. Want to try one day

Out now at the bell, slow and calm. I guess I picked the wrong spot, not a boat near me but I do see several near the north arm, anyone hitting anything near the arm?

Out at Sandheads lots of boats today. Landed and released a nice wild coho around noon. Seen a few other nets wet but not steady action.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back