OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice fish Murph!

Went out today, fished from 2-8, North arm to Iona area. About 4 other guide boats there with us plus a few others. Marked lord of fish and bait just off bottom as deep as 260, worked the 150 foot break. Changed things up regularly with our go too spoons and hootchies. Stayed away from bait to avoid the dogs. Never saw one fish caught, never saw a net out. Released one small coho. That's it. Brutal out there. Seals are around so ...... Pretty sure there's something there haha. Good luck every one. Hope they show soon, them Biggys usyally show soon. HT

The place to go right now is Sandheads if you have the boat for it. The last couple of days some local guides have managed to hook more than a handful. Landing percentage has been about 50%.... The wind forecast says otherwise however with a NW blow in the forecast. The most consistent success is coming from there. Make SURE you are fishing outside the line. It is very easy to go over it....

Focus your efforts from 30-85 feet on the downrigger wherever you are off the Fraser Mouth. 40-65 feet would be where the majority of effort should be made.

Despite the doggies, I recommend you have bait on at least half your rods at this time of year. If you are fishing 4 rods, fish at least 2 Anchovies. One high and one deeper. Usually I run bait exclusively off the Fraser Mouth and if I am fishing 4 rods, then 4 Anchovies are usually being fished. If despite faster trolling speeds, dogfish are still a burden, then I do have a couple of hoochies present to stave them off or in the rare event of a tangle. If I am fishing 6 or 8 I then run 25% plastic.

Any hoochie with green and glow in it is golden at this time of year off the Fraser....glow army truck.....if not straight white, purple haze or glow a 35 inch leader keeps a great action when you slow down a bit.

The T-10 is a coughing up the odd odd fish while the Bell Buoy is, as DMurph said is also producing the odd fish as well.

The odds are not that great off the Bell up until yesterday unfortunately as yesterday fewer than 25 percent of the boats fishing there actually fought one. More than one guide in their diligent trolling efforts yesterday was unsuccessful in getting a Chinook strike off the Bell.

This coming weekend is going to be awesome.....DERBY weekend!

Tie your leaders, stock up on Anchovies and get yourself entered ASAP. The odds of finishing in the money for the $300 entry fee are pretty darn good....a lot better than buying a Lottomax or 649 ticket!

Tight lines!

Was going to put the tub in this afternoon for a pull at sandyheads... but she's a blowin' 18 knots this marnin' buy! Looks like I'll be a lubber for another week. Sure hope the winds calm down so I can get out and KABONG some nookies!

Olay!

Was at sandheads yesterday, the only action was in a small area in tight to the light and green bell, fishing the shallows. Lots of boats jockeying for position during slack around 3pm, not my idea of fun.

Plotted the boundary line for 29-10, all it represents from the coordinates is the shoreline from the north jetty to Gary Pt to the light at Steveston... Where are the seaward coordinates ( maybe included in 29-3, 29-9 and 29-12.... WTF.
I also plotted out 29-9 and it's just the shoreline, no seaward coordinates.
I think it's half butt info with no importance!

Hopefully this works attaching a PDF.

Just tested it....but here is the full closure description which you can open or save as a reference.

Attachments

• Appendix A Banana Closure Description.pdf
    318.2 KB · Views: 98
Caught an unreal Coho off the north arm 7:30 pm tonight. Good 14-16 pounder. It was a mental jumper. Haven't had a fun jumper like that in ages. North arm just off bottom bouncing for springs in 65 - 70 ft of water. Caught it on a 3 in Tom Mac 50/50 spoon 5 feet behind a Abe N Al flasher bent to be a dodger. 2.2 mph or so trolling towards the north arm marker.
Geez.. Full old school

Thanks for the weather apps fella's,the windty.com is a neat one!! I think ill try the Bell today and try to stay away from the wind unless it calms down in the next few hours.

Geez.. Full old school

Well not totally old school, I was running those off the riggers. I did have 2 surface lines with weights and stainless dodgers with cdn wonder spoons. One of the lines had a pristine Les Davis Kelp Kutter dodger on it, now that's old school.

I usually only use that stuff when trolling slow for Sockeye, but this has been a very different year. If you read the west coast threads some of the guides have been killing them on the old Tom Mac spoons. That's why I loaded up on all the bling.

Biggest Coho I've caught here in 20 years, and the best fight from a coho ever.

You pay for yours?

I've found windyty to be always a lot calmer than conditions are. Nice visual though.

Predictwind seems the most accurate to me, it def shows up the gov site.

Fishweather for current conditions is my go to

Nope....don't pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back