OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only been sealed twice. Both times at hole in the wall. Same day lol...

Fish more.

If you're the first boat to hook a fish at the mouth of the Cap each morning you'll be the one feeding him.

Winter and Spring in the harbour and off West Van are brutal....they will literally follow you around... And the big grey ******* as a few of us know him will stalk you. Heck, I've even pulled gear and run a mile and a half and had him back on me in 20 mins!

Similarly at the T-10... When fishing gets scratchy, these seals home in on flashers...

Has a seal follow me 2 weeks ago for 45 mins until I moved off West Van at Fisheries.

Can't slingshot them or pellet gun them either....

Fish more.

If you're the first boat to hook a fish at the mouth of the Cap each morning you'll be the one feeding him.

Winter and Spring in the harbour and off West Van are brutal....they will literally follow you around... And the big grey ******* as a few of us know him will stalk you. Heck, I've even pulled gear and run a mile and a half and had him back on me in 20 mins!

Similarly at the T-10... When fishing gets scratchy, these seals home in on flashers...

Has a seal follow me 2 weeks ago for 45 mins until I moved off West Van at Fisheries.

Can't slingshot them or pellet gun them either....
I wonder if they anything like dogs? Maybe there is a sound they don't like, maybe something like whale noise pumped into the water? That would likely scare away the fish though :D. Think I will try that, whale song.

Done most of my fishing on the west coast, so I haven't had much interference from seal's, but the black fish bugged me once.

If you don't run bait it makes a big difference in how long the seals will tail you. On a slow troll with bait they will tag you for an hour or more if there's not a lot of salmon about. A fast troll with Hoochies, they usually give up on it. They don't like the effort they have to expend to keep up with a fast moving boat. All you need to do is siddle over towards a guy trolling nice and slow with bait, and tag your it, he's got your new furry friend for a while. The gift that keeps on giving. :)

Heard the bite was on this morning with a few guys limiting out early!!!

And a few guys not.... Good quality Cohoes around for Vancouver.... It has been a while since I have heard of 8 and 9 pound Coho off West Van in July and August.

If you don't run bait it makes a big difference in how long the seals will tail you. On a slow troll with bait they will tag you for an hour or more if there's not a lot of salmon about. A fast troll with Hoochies, they usually give up on it. They don't like the effort they have to expend to keep up with a fast moving boat. All you need to do is siddle over towards a guy trolling nice and slow with bait, and tag your it, he's got your new furry friend for a while. The gift that keeps on giving. :)

Hahaha... They do follow at Coho speeds... On hoochies and spoons! Maybe just me... That grey seal knows my face I swear... And he hadn't seen me in a while and decided he'd tail me for a while...

Heard the bite was on this morning with a few guys limiting out early!!!
Heard the same myself... And I'm stuck at work!

Running bait one day We had a seal follow us for almost 2 hours... Little buggers! I haven't been sealed yet but my fishing partner has a couple of times.

And a few guys not.... Good quality Cohoes around for Vancouver.... It has been a while since I have heard of 8 and 9 pound Coho off West Van in July and August.

I kind of had the feeling there was going to be an good run of large Coho this year. Last year they were tiny. I never seen such pitiful size fish as last year's coho. Poor numbers and terrible size coho last year. I almost wondered if some would stay at sea another year because they were so small. I don't know if that ever happens with coho, but springs will stay an extra couple years at sea to reach monster sizes. Never really heard of that happening with coho, but I thought if it ever does happen this year might be the one time we get a return of really large fish at the cap.

Hey Fm, maybe that fur bag just has taken a shine to your lovable mug. Maybe your whiskers turn her on.

I fished West Van flats for a few hours on Monday afternoon and got nothing but an undersized spring. (60 feet on a black, green and white skinny G).
Saw some jumpers and lots on the finder but no one catching. A bunch of crabs in some shallow sets but none big enough. Worst part of the day was losing two traps in deeper waters. I hope they weren't stolen cuz lowlifes just suck...but I might be the loser using 100ft ropes that were actually 50! I don't even know now. Anyway, it was during the flood so they would've floated east and I'm hoping someone might have found them or may still. They were both homemade stainless steel round traps with prawn mesh and red poly wrap on the bottom ring. One with a large yellow white and orange styro float and the other with a regular white and orange styro float plus a yellow oil jug. I dropped them on the southwest edge of the West Van plateu/flats in 70 feet. Should we be reporting losses to the DFO in the event they settle somewhere closed to crabbing?

I fished West Van flats for a few hours on Monday afternoon and got nothing but an undersized spring. (60 feet on a black, green and white skinny G).
Saw some jumpers and lots on the finder but no one catching. A bunch of crabs in some shallow sets but none big enough. Worst part of the day was losing two traps in deeper waters. I hope they weren't stolen cuz lowlifes just suck...but I might be the loser using 100ft ropes that were actually 50! I don't even know now. Anyway, it was during the flood so they would've floated east and I'm hoping someone might have found them or may still. They were both homemade stainless steel round traps with prawn mesh and red poly wrap on the bottom ring. One with a large yellow white and orange styro float and the other with a regular white and orange styro float plus a yellow oil jug. I dropped them on the southwest edge of the West Van plateu/flats in 70 feet. Should we be reporting losses to the DFO in the event they settle somewhere closed to crabbing?

There was a commercial Crabber just covering the whole harbour with traps on Monday. My bet would be he scooped your traps when he pulled up his set. You could easily have unknowingly dropped over one of his lines, as he was dropping traps everywhere.

Back in the day my old man use to take us out in the Crescent beach,Whiterock area and catch lots of Coho and the odd Spring has anyone fished this area lately or last year?

Fished around Pt Atkinson and the freighters today, managed 2 undersized springs on a blue, white and black hootchie and a nice 5lb hatchery coho on a white hootchie.

Back in the day my old man use to take us out in the Crescent beach,Whiterock area and catch lots of Coho and the odd Spring has anyone fished this area lately or last year?
We also fished the area back in the day, there were 2 deep holes just past the markers, also fishing " the can" it was a green bell marker. I think most of the action was in US waters, back then you could buy US and Canadian fishing licences at Crescent beach marina.

There was a commercial Crabber just covering the whole harbour with traps on Monday. My bet would be he scooped your traps when he pulled up his set. You could easily have unknowingly dropped over one of his lines, as he was dropping traps everywhere.
Oh wow ya maybe. Thanks for the perspective Big Guy. I don't know why I even bothered with the crabbing. I usually give up after the spring and I don't ever prawn during the commercial opening. I'm pretty sure the commys hate having to contend with all the sports bouys out there, plus it cuts into their income a little, which I can respect.

Not much for fish in wr cb. Too many commy crab nets impossible to dogde the bouys. I've try many days and nothing. Fish running up the little Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back