OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ran the tub out to Sandheads this afternoon for a try for a nookie before it headed up stream... Seems every dog fish in the Georgia Straight had the same idea!

No luck today at thrasher, fished from 3pm-8 and no hits. At around 7:30 tons of bait started to surface and still no hits. Gave bottom fishing a go and no takers either. The strait was relatively calm when we crossed it.

We started at HITW hit one a hour in was a good fight came to the boat pretty quik and when we got to see it lets say it was north of 30!!!and panic started lol 20 mins later we got it back to the boat and we tried to net it but our so called salmon net wasnt big enough and it didnt like the net and launched and snapped the leader :( what a bummer!!! Stayed till the end of the tide change and headed to the fisheries and got 4 under size springs on white hootchies and not one coho!!! Gonna head out tomorrow again and see if we can find another bad boy!!

Fished the harbour this am. Nothing except a 4lb spring. Caught it on a rig I threw out for coho. Apex lure behind a dipsy diver at 50 pulls at Pt. Atkinson. Water was like glass. Bit of a breeze picking up now.

Out all day, apartments, tunstall, the points.... all depths, washed all the gear, home having a burger.
Beauty of a day though. Next time.

Didn't see anyone with a fish on yesterday and there were a lot of boats out. Talked to one of the well known local guide boats probably near the end of his charter and he said he'd got a couple of Coho in the harbour, no springs.

Fish T-10 Saturday from 7 am to 1 pm and released three nice sockeye (one to a seal) and two dogs. Fun day but sloooow.

Sox and dogs at sandheads yesterday. One was missing it's whole gut and a seal came up beside the boat thrashing around with one in its mouth. Guess the seals are unaware that sox are closed.

Lots of Sox around right now.... Not in massive schools but quite a lot for sure.

Seals are going to have a problem... transient and resident a killers have been around frequently... And I anticipate the transients will be by a lot more. Seal populations are at historical highs.

Salmon is good eats, hundreds of thousands of seals can't be wrong ;) I wonder where the salmon went????????

DFO
"The

highest densities of harbour seals occur in the protected waters of the Strait of Georgia

(13.1 seals per km shoreline), which represents only 11% of the coastline but supports 37%

of the seal population."

In 2008 Washington and Oregon state introduced a seal cull at the Bonneville dam, many groups protested the cull as being unnecessary to protect the salmon, they blamed the dam. Since the cull, which still happens, the Columbia river salmon runs are now hitting historic highs year after year. On our west coast we benefit from this program. There are still plenty of seals.

In 2010 DFO scientist studied one river and 36 seals, he estimated they killed over 10,000 salmon of one run of chum and over 3.1 million salmon fry.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...52730/&usg=AFQjCNFHX1Zalwn6SHdRs1sH1oc0XnzqYQ

So I guess my question is, is there anywhere the seals don't hang out around here? I am just finishing up my boat for August.

I've only been sealed twice. Both times at hole in the wall. Same day lol...

Haven't lost a single fish to a Seal this year (knock on wood). About 15 years ago we got sealed 5 times in one day around the Fingers. Every fish we hooked that day. My Dad hasn't fished in the chuck around Nanaimo since that since....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back