OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out Early Saturday fished Point Atkinson for a couple hours no sniffs,then we went to the bell buoy had a nice one for a split second and then it popped off ,decided to head over to Cowen Point we ended up popping to more decent ones and landed a nice Wild Coho and one Dog fish using bait and spoons from 25 to 80 feet!!Heading out tomorrow afternoon for the tide change if anyone else is heading let me know!!

Had a good afternoon yesterday off the bowen area. Similar day to pea head. Picked up a nice spring 13 lbs or so lost a mid to high teens at the net landed 3 big hatch coho and a 3 good hits not hook up. BIG UGLY and purple onion flash was working for us.

Hi all,

New to this forum; have had a place at Bowyer for last year and done a fair amount of fishing to the point where I think I can add useful information.. January to end of May was ridiculous. At one point had 10 chinook keepers to the boat in 12 trips... with no trip seeing more than one keeper; bit odd but very steady. Without question Homeland Security was the star bagging at least 6 of the 10 fish. 4 were in the 17lb range while the rest around 10lb. Was very successful at Hole as well as Tunstall. Since then I'm in a mired period of 1 keeper in ~6 trips... mind you I've stuck around Hole/South End of Bowen/Salmon Rock. I'm on Bowyer for next three weeks and look forward to updating as I go along. Crabbing has been decent of late and I'll start chucking down some test prawn traps to see when things pick up post commercial clean out. As of last week there were 2-4 prawns in a set I did... not worth it. Should pick up into mid/late August. Cheers.

Tried thrasher for low tide yesterday. Non stop undersized action fishing Jagr to Gretzky. Tried mixing the depth and lures up a bit but couldn't find the big dogs.

Haha....someone else who fishes double digits and calls out the hockey player jersey for the depth. :p ;) :D

No doubt about it in my life no depth has produced greater numbers for me than Mr. Jaromir Jagr. It's also a good way to remember what depths your at, especially when stacking.

No doubt about it in my life no depth has produced greater numbers for me than Mr. Jaromir Jagr. It's also a good way to remember what depths your at, especially when stacking.

Always have been a fan of Lindros....and that's NOT just because I am a Flyers fan.

Mind you....."one and a Bert" has been good around Thrasher in the spring. ;)

Lindros or Gretsky get fished hard on my boat. Gretsky takes more fish than any other digit. Must be a Canadian thing. One thing I have noticed is that thrasher is best fished on a high tide. Another tip for the upcoming month of August is T10 on a low and sandheads on a high ;)

I'll try to upload a pic here for the first time. This was thrasher on a high tide.

Attachments

• IMG_1743.jpg
    IMG_1743.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 121
there's a gale warning in effect for the straight so I guess the next couple of days will be a wait-and-see game for most people...

Went out yesterday or should insay i tried to and it was dam windy!! Then to top it off i finally splurged on a MR3 and some butt hat stole it out of the boat at the launch well i was washing it brand new never been used!!! My son thought inwas gonna kill someone lol

Went out yesterday or should insay i tried to and it was dam windy!! Then to top it off i finally splurged on a MR3 and some butt hat stole it out of the boat at the launch well i was washing it brand new never been used!!! My son thought inwas gonna kill someone lol

Oh man that totally sucks. That is so wrong. I just use cheap reels. They do the job, but that is the reason I don't upgrade. I can't be bothered packing my rods out of my boat every night and I know they would all walk away on their own if I had over 2 grand worth of reels left in my boat. I'm so sorry to hear that happened to you, that is infuriating. This town is getting pretty bad, I had my truck stolen earlier this year. I got it back, but what a head ache. Anything that isn't double alarmed with cameras isn't safe these days. Getting pretty sad.

I have always bought cheap **** because im terrible with my gear and the one time I do this happens lol just talked to my Amstercard and it looks like I might have theft insurance on it ! this would be awesome!!

If your boat is seaworthy enough to get to Howe Sound fish Anchovies from Hole in the Wall to Tennis Courts. Anchovies at 60-120 feet depths behind flashers are taking hatchery Coho and chinooks of all sizes to 30 lbs. army Truck, Purple Haze and Yellow/Silver Hoochies have also been productive multiple whites have been landed in the last few days and there are some teenager red Chinook in the mix too.

West Van has the odd Chinook and Coho but it's rough trolling with a gong show of weed, wind and tides.

Hell Buoy/ Bell isn't being fished by many as it is ridiculously rough but the doggies have moved in.....and lots of them.

Last edited:
Hi all,

New to this forum; have had a place at Bowyer for last year and done a fair amount of fishing to the point where I think I can add useful information.. January to end of May was ridiculous. At one point had 10 chinook keepers to the boat in 12 trips... with no trip seeing more than one keeper; bit odd but very steady. Without question Homeland Security was the star bagging at least 6 of the 10 fish. 4 were in the 17lb range while the rest around 10lb. Was very successful at Hole as well as Tunstall. Since then I'm in a mired period of 1 keeper in ~6 trips... mind you I've stuck around Hole/South End of Bowen/Salmon Rock. I'm on Bowyer for next three weeks and look forward to updating as I go along. Crabbing has been decent of late and I'll start chucking down some test prawn traps to see when things pick up post commercial clean out. As of last week there were 2-4 prawns in a set I did... not worth it. Should pick up into mid/late August. Cheers.

Put a few test prawn traps down. Got 7, 12 and 13... Just enough to keep going. Set depths of ~275' and left for between 12-18 hours. No crabs in 3 days so moved to north end of Bowen. Will fish Sunday and a lot coming week and will post results. Happy weekend.

Me and the wife fished west van yesterday afternoon for the high tide. Nada... a bit washy but still fishable.

From south end of Bowyer it's blowing a good 15-25 and has been for last 3 hours.
Heard it was blowing 30 at Porteau.
Tomorrow should be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back