OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reports should have location and method, gear on how fish were caught.

I'm going to say Sandheads....30-65 feet on the downrigger on a Gibbs Guide series flasher towing an Anchovy in some fangled Rhys Davis Teaser head...the only combo which would ever catch a 42

That or an Ace Hi

gong shows
circle jerks
tight tacks
.....I commy trolled my whole life and we have a rule that WORKS...coastwide.
Starboard side to the beach has right of way.
Try it guys...it works.

I'm going to say Sandheads....30-65 feet on the downrigger on a Gibbs Guide series flasher towing an Anchovy in some fangled Rhys Davis Teaser head...the only combo which would ever catch a 42[/QUOTE

Must be extremely spotty, my buddies were at Sandheads the entire day and never had a bite or saw a net out. For sure its either Cap or Sandheads now , I never made it out this weekend due to work but hope to report tomorrow if weather is decent.

Caught two, 15lbs white and a 21 red, at 75 ft in 100 ft off Ambleside Pier. Green Chrome head with small anchovy. 0915 hrs and 1000 hrs. Was just at the 100 ft mark, closer to shore than most boats. Soft bite, but they inhaled it, so they stuck. Nothing in their guts, both boys. Getting pretty mature, felt a bit soft for the bbq but should be good smoked.

Picked up a 16 lb white spring and two hatchery coho, 10 lbs and 8 lbs, at Sandheads. The spring and the smaller coho were on bottom in the shallows after the current had settled down and the larger coho was at 50 ft and further out. All on anchovies.

At the Cap. 8:30 am - 1:30 pm. Got a 10 lb, real shiny, hatchery coho as well as an 18 lb, darkish white spring. Cant remember which was which but we fished the pride parade of flashers and a mix of clear and glow heads. Got one on a gold betsy and a clear and purple head, another on a chartreuse flasher with a neon green and red teaser and lost one on purple moon jelly with red stripe and a clear teaser. All very small herring. We were fishing between 110'-140' of water and all hit the rods set around 90'. First two were quick at around 9 AM and the last was at 1 PM. Then we went back to Burrard and had a close up view of the Royals from our slip. Great day, lots more to come.

Last edited:
Fished N arm T 10 to Sandheads ...... Stayed away from da pack. 10 lb red at 35 feet , herring in teaser head....... Lost a goodin. Nice and flat today

I'm going to say Sandheads....30-65 feet on the downrigger on a Gibbs Guide series flasher towing an Anchovy in some fangled Rhys Davis Teaser head...the only combo which would ever catch a 42
Ding Ding Ding, FM takes the prize for going four for five! Sandheads, 45 ft, Oki Green Onion, anchovy, and in a green chrome bullet roll. About 1/2 an hour after opening the Hawkins, the last bag is going to be rationed out until the warehouse is rebuilt! Going to have to stop giving the admiral first choice on the gear - her second tyee in as many years locally and I'm yet to get on the scoreboard...

Apologies for the late follow up. Got into another about 30 minutes after the first and had a great battle for at least as long, but lost it when it broke off at the stinger hook. Same set up as previous. Fish was easily in the high 20's (not going to drop the T word in a public forum without confirmation...). Got a great look at it when it jumped a clear 3 - 4 ft out of the water 8 ft from the boat.

Two other strikes that didn't stick.

Pod of orcas rolled through just after 1 pm heading north just before the NW wind picked up.

Few more pics below.

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0234.jpg IMG_0242.jpg

Same for me... We hit the water around 8 @ sand heads. Nothing happening until about 10.30. Then the bite came on... Hit 3 fish in about 30 minutes. Landed a 23lbs Spring. Lost one at the net and a screamer hit the line and emptied the whole reel. Then snapped us up! All were around 70 - 100ft on downrigger.
whales went though around 1pm and a few more around 3pm.

Attachments

• 20160925_180513.jpg
    20160925_180513.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 206
  • 20160925_115603.jpg
    20160925_115603.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Same for me... We hit the water around 8 @ sand heads. Nothing happening until about 10.30. Then the bite came on... Hit 3 fish in about 30 minutes. Landed a 23lbs Spring. Lost one at the net and a screamer hit the line and emptied the whole reel. Then snapped us up! All were around 70 - 100ft on downrigger.
whales went though around 1pm and a few more around 3pm.View attachment 29840 View attachment 29841
whats with the pants being undone ????lol

Sandheads this morning among 40-50 others. A bit of chop early on but flattened out closer to noon. Must have missed the early bite as I saw one landed as I got there but then not much else until closer to noon. Dropped the landing net in the water after a failed attempt to net a fish that wasn't ready. The net floated for a bit but didnt want to pause the fight to chase down the net which eventually sank. Managed to tail a 12lb white at 60 feet on a purple splatter back anchovie teaser in about 200 ft.

and its fun!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back