OFFICIAL 2016 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's only on the weekends that it's gets disorganized at the cap, weekdays seem to be relatively organized. I have to be honest to say that I'm new to learning the "stay deep and turn port side" for the cap marker. Still feel like a newb but doing my best in the new boat.

How many boats fishing the cap area today Eastmon. Have the harbour patrol been strictly enforcing the new boundaries, or are guys still fishing near the light.

The port police are enforcing the boundary at certain times of the day and when they're not there, a couple of nasty seals that are enforcing it. We never get a break as sport fisherman. I have been sealed at least 10 times this year, when in past years it may have been 2 or 3 times.

Last edited:
Fished Spanish Banks yesterday 1:30 to 3:30. Marked a couple of fish and right at low slack landed a 12lb chum. First chum for me - put up a good fight. 37' on a herring in a blue teaser head. Planned to fish longer, but was just too rough.

Fished Spanish Banks yesterday 1:30 to 3:30. Marked a couple of fish and right at low slack landed a 12lb chum. First chum for me - put up a good fight. 37' on a herring in a blue teaser head. Planned to fish longer, but was just too rough.

Love the Chum. Got a couple last year. They seemed to like blue or purple taped teaser heads, with a purple haze flasher.

Was out yesterday at the Cap from 4 to 7 in the washing machine!! we had one but small seal grabbed it!! had to deal with that for a half hour but got my gear back had a fella get caught up in show when the ******* bolted to the left and the captain of the other boat did a wicked job got the line free of his boat and he managed to not lose anything also Thanks Captain!

I was at the cap yesterday in the zoo of boats as well. fished from 10-noon and got a decent one and then headed elsewhere for the ebb in the afternoon but no more salmon for us. Wish I got there earlier as the weather and fishing was quite good from what I heard. Definitely a washing machine in the inlet from around noon on. Our fish was caught near bottom in 100ft of water on a chovie.

Fished Sandheads this morning 700-1030am
Chovie on one side, dummy and herring on the other. 27', 39', 50' and 90' were my variable depths on the rigger. One jack Chinook on the chovie at 51' was the only taker. Started lumpy and calmed down around 900. Not much action seen on the other dozen boats out. Might give one last try on Saturday.
Friend took a pic of the fish ladder on the cap, looked pretty full, so Cap might be the place to try next.

Fished Sandheads this morning 700-1030am
Chovie on one side, dummy and herring on the other. 27', 39', 50' and 90' were my variable depths on the rigger. One jack Chinook on the chovie at 51' was the only taker. Started lumpy and calmed down around 900. Not much action seen on the other dozen boats out. Might give one last try on Saturday.
Friend took a pic of the fish ladder on the cap, looked pretty full, so Cap might be the place to try next.

I am thinking of Sandheads tomorrow as well, not into the Cap gong show on a Sat. I hope to get another chum to smoke.

Can't speak for other guys. They are real hit and miss. I got a couple off the Fraser last year on purple teasers trolling strip very slowly behind a purple haze flasher. Other years I've caught them on army truck or glow hoochies on a short leader trolled slowly. They are not consistent biters down here. You get one here and there. I've never caught more than one chum in a day in these parts. Whish I could I love catching Chum in the ocean.

Can't speak for other guys. They are real hit and miss. I got a couple off the Fraser last year on purple teasers trolling strip very slowly behind a purple haze flasher. Other years I've caught them on army truck or glow hoochies on a short leader trolled slowly. They are not consistent biters down here. You get one here and there. I've never caught more than one chum in a day in these parts. Whish I could I love catching Chum in the ocean.
Agreed,thats exactly my experience in the past.I will troll hootchies and hope for the best.

Headed out to the S. Arm/Sandheads on Monday morning early, anyone else planning on going out? Fishing on the weekdays usually means I can't find anyone that can get the time off, if anyone is interested in tagging along (leaving from Vanier) , let me know.

Last edited:
Fished Cap yesterday. 4 hits. 3 on chovy near bottom in ~100ft of water, 1 on a white squirt jughead. 3 were long line releases, one we got to boat and it made a final run into the prop. It actually wasn't that bad in terms of the gongshow. Everyone pretty civilized with the "loop" - although I saw some fish caught closer to John Lawson park as well where there were far fewer boats.

Sandheads this morning among 40-50 others. A bit of chop early on but flattened out closer to noon. Must have missed the early bite as I saw one landed as I got there but then not much else until closer to noon. Dropped the landing net in the water after a failed attempt to net a fish that wasn't ready. The net floated for a bit but didnt want to pause the fight to chase down the net which eventually sank. Managed to tail a 12lb white at 60 feet on a purple splatter back anchovie teaser in about 200 ft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back