OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Pretty good tide rips around thrasher. Depending on the direction of tide and location you dropped traps may have been pulled into deeper water and floated or pulled float under depending on the size of your Scotchman.

Yup, not too uncommon around that area. Tide rips and can move even weighted traps around. Could have moved it into a deeper hole leaving the float not visible. Check around the area again on a very low tide.

Great day Thrasher today, easy crossing, white caps mid day and calmed down for crossing home. boxed 4 from 9-16lbs 1 hatchery all red. 600ft of water NW, riggers at 110 and 160. All on spoons.

Yup, not too uncommon around that area. Tide rips and can move even weighted traps around. Could have moved it into a deeper hole leaving the float not visible. Check around the area again on a very low tide.

Not where I had mine layed out, I am familiar with the area, one set hadn't moved off of the mark at all.
Anything is possible I guess, but when one set is still there about 75 yards away makes me wonder

Hi Guys
This is plea for help!
I've recently invested a lots of money and time on the water hoping to catch a fish or two, but no luck at all.
I've tried hump or around Bowen island where everybody gets their fish (mostly) but not even a shaker.
I've followed all the tips you guys post in here and have tried many different thing but still nothing.
I've tried spoons, anchovies, hoochies, herrings ,,,,
I've tried depth from 60' to 150',
I've tried Speeds, from 2mph to 5mph (tried to get my down rigger cable @ 45 degree or less), and still not even one fish.
I am not sure what I am doing wrong.
If you have any suggestions and willing to help, I am all ears.
Thank you and have a great evening.

Sounds like your doing everything right. It's not gang busters yet so be patient. 60' is not deep enough right now in my opinion 100-150' is where you wanna be. It's the little things that make BIG difference good roll on your teasers and length of leaders also. If you read back on the reports you should be able to find what spoons and flashers are good right now. Just my 2cents I'm still learning the tricks of the trade its a never ending learning curve. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great pic Canso!

Hey Getbent I've had the same thing happen there. One of my traps never moved a bit. The other moved a few hundred yards. Both set very close to each other. Same rope, same weight etc. Depends where you set them but all around Thrasher the contours can change drastically in a very short distance. Especially around the reef and in some spots around the entrance to Silva Bay. I set mine and marked them with the GPS. So I know exactly how much the other one moved. If it's on a slope it can mess you up, or a hole close by etc..A few years ago I lost one there on a heavy tide and couldn't get back there to try to find it. On a weekend with so many fishermen around right there it would be pretty ballsy for someone to try to rip one off but you never know.
I set one over by Horseshoe Bay that was weighted and had a bunch of slack line when set and it still moved half a mile away on a real heavy tide.
Hopefully someone will call you if they find it. But if you do get a chance to go back or know someone going there. Get them to check around on the lowest tide possible. And if you think thieves are pulling your traps zap strap your traps closed and put something specific on your zap straps so you know they are yours cause I'm sure the thieves read these posts too and are probably carrying around their own zap straps now.
I'm pretty sure me and my buddy pulled up on a couple guys pulling other peoples traps up over by Bowen this year. They only had one trap there yet we saw them from a distance screwing around by other guys floats for quite a while. I burned over there full throttle from behind them when they were pulling right up to one of my floats and they looked freaked out. I asked them what the hell were they doing and they said looking for their float. I knew they were BS'ing but unfortunately we didn't catch them with someone eases float in their boat. If we did it wouldn't have been good for them. Thieves are low life scum period.

Hi Guys
This is plea for help!
I've recently invested a lots of money and time on the water hoping to catch a fish or two, but no luck at all.
I've tried hump or around Bowen island where everybody gets their fish (mostly) but not even a shaker.
I've followed all the tips you guys post in here and have tried many different thing but still nothing.
I've tried Speeds, from 2mph to 5mph (tried to get my down rigger cable @ 45 degree or less), and still not even one fish.

Where do you live ?

Are you Near Langley, if so I'd like to see your set ups, or I will help you with any thing ..... it's all about having fun out there and catching something for you would make a big difference. If not, fire away with any PMs and questions.

HT

Thanks fishin solo, for your advice.
I do 5'~6' leader for my spoons and baits and 3' for my hoochi after my flasher.

Hi Guys
This is plea for help!

Hmmm... You're definitely doing something wrong if you are fishing off the hump recently. I guarantee it. Guides have been killing it with amateurs on the rods who have never reeled In a fish let alone a salmon the last week. As of this past Thursday a guide buddy landed 5 of 6 Chinook which hit the gear off the Hump. This past weekend I know multiple guide boats who had 10 or more Chinook bite their respective gear in multiple locations both near and "far".

If your downrigger cable has a 45 degree angle on it and you're hanging a 15 pound ball at the end of it and your speed is 2.3-2.4 mph speed over ground you're going the right speed. You should have 100-150 feet of cable out. You should have a drop back of 15-18 feet from your release clip off the cable to your flasher. The flasher should be rotating at least 1 revolution per second. Your spoon should be on a 6 foot leader behind the flasher which should be fairly simple in appearance---either a Gibbs, Hot Spot or Oki--preferably glow on one side. You should be fishing with a Silver Horde Glow Cop Car, Green Glow or Irish Cream at the end of that leader. Lower to fishing depth and reel your rod into a nice parabolic arc which will almost pop it of...and troll in longish stretches varying your speed by 10-15 percent. Every 4-500 feet make a 30-45 degree course change to the left or right and alternate back and forth to the left and the right every 3-5 minutes. Fish in the vicinity of the other boats. The other side of the boat should have a similar set up fishing within 30-40 feet of the other side. Never mind the bait and hoochies. get out of bed and on the water by 6:30 am and be fishing around the tide changes in the morning.

If you still are not catching fish, then I personally recommend you charter through Pacific Angler (Eddie Or Jason) or Bonchovy Fishing Charters (Jeff or Jason), Predator Charters (Dave Korsch) or Built for Speed Charters (Chris S.) or Watermark Fishing Charters (Mark Finney) and watch everything they do very closely and Ask questions. I guarantee you that you will observe them doing the right things. Apply yourself in exactly the same manner on your boat consistently and in a few years time you will outfish the majority of the boats on the water, almost all the time just the way they do.

Good luck and may the fish be with you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys
This is plea for help!

Lost of good info. X2 on getting a guide and going local to start. I wonder if your cable might be sending out a charge. Doubtful but I moved to braid and will never go back.

Lost of good info. X2 on getting a guide and going local to start. I wonder if your cable might be sending out a charge. Doubtful but I moved to braid and will never go back.

The cable with the charge around it actually helps things....the field dissipates exponentially And is usually weak by the Distance the gear is fished from ththe cable. I have had tons of fish hit the gear on a hot hot boat (don't ask)...the boat was so hot thAt zincs would burn off in less than half the time...and the bilge water would give you a
zap...

When you go to land the fish, that's when they won't come close to the boat...

Thanks fishin solo, for your advice.
I do 5'~6' leader for my spoons and baits and 3' for my hoochi after my flasher.

Don't be afraid to shorten the hootchies leader down even to 2 feet at times my common length is32 inches, also for spoons I go 4 to 6 foot average but will bring them in tight also. What ever works double it up with the same set up depth speed etc. bait I do usually 4 feet to six, but will shorten up on strip to even 21/2 feet. These worked for over fifty years for me

Great pic Canso!

Hey Getbent I've had the same thing happen there. One of my traps never moved a bit. The other moved a few hundred yards. Both set very close to each other. Same rope, same weight etc. Depends where you set them but all around Thrasher the contours can change drastically in a very short distance. Especially around the reef and in some spots around the entrance to Silva Bay. I set mine and marked them with the GPS. So I know exactly how much the other one moved. If it's on a slope it can mess you up, or a hole close by etc..A few years ago I lost one there on a heavy tide and couldn't get back there to try to find it. On a weekend with so many fishermen around right there it would be pretty ballsy for someone to try to rip one off but you never know.
I set one over by Horseshoe Bay that was weighted and had a bunch of slack line when set and it still moved half a mile away on a real heavy tide.
Hopefully someone will call you if they find it. But if you do get a chance to go back or know someone going there. Get them to check around on the lowest tide possible. And if you think thieves are pulling your traps zap strap your traps closed and put something specific on your zap straps so you know they are yours cause I'm sure the thieves read these posts too and are probably carrying around their own zap straps now.
I'm pretty sure me and my buddy pulled up on a couple guys pulling other peoples traps up over by Bowen this year. They only had one trap there yet we saw them from a distance screwing around by other guys floats for quite a while. I burned over there full throttle from behind them when they were pulling right up to one of my floats and they looked freaked out. I asked them what the hell were they doing and they said looking for their float. I knew they were BS'ing but unfortunately we didn't catch them with someone eases float in their boat. If we did it wouldn't have been good for them. Thieves are low life scum period.

I agree with the pretty ballsy and said so to my wife, there were 4 sets between silva bay and thrasher, I know it is tricky in there. I set back south off the rock on the other side of the reefs.
Never had a problem before and have done decent. Shouldn't have left them overnight!
Oh well, had some killer fish n chips with the ling and spring.Maybe it slid away and someone will find it and call.
I forgot, our two big springs were whites at '87 on a splatterback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your advice fishin_magician, great information.
One of my downrigger's ball is around 12 lbs but the other one shows 8 lbs, on my home scale. I think the canon balls are a bit light.
I had a drop back of 25~28 feet from your release clip off the cable to my flasher, too long?
I was at the hump 3 weeks ago then this morning around 8am (tide change was at 10 am) till noon.
Thank you again

If that's your drop back from the clip at 60' on the rigger that's just below the water and no good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

normally I drop the rigger to 100'~120' and around 25' from my clip to flasher.
Lately lots of people are shortening up both the distance from the wire to the lure-as short as 8', and hootchie leaders 32" is lots now it seems.

The cable with the charge around it actually helps things....the field dissipates exponentially And is usually weak by the Distance the gear is fished from ththe cable. I have had tons of fish hit the gear on a hot hot boat (don't ask)...the boat was so hot thAt zincs would burn off in less than half the time...and the bilge water would give you a
zap...

When you go to land the fish, that's when they won't come close to the boat...

Haha, did that boat start with an S and end with a star?

I was at the hump this morning around 8am (tide change was at 10 am) till noon.
Hey Max, what kind of boat were you in? I was running my new 17.5 foot Campion with 45hp Honda. The boat is blue and white, the same kind as the one Clint R restored.

Back