OFFICIAL 2015 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Hey max-p. Sounds like you're giving it a good effort. I have been out 6 times since early April and have averaged 6-10 springs each time out. And I almost always only fish 2 rods...and am not that great a fisherman. For you to not even get a shaker something is wrong. Don't keep trying the same thing if it's not working for you.

Hi all,
New to the forum, have been a lurker but happy to contribute where I can, although I have all the gear and no idea :)
I am one of those people who puts the rods down whenever we are out and the little fella is asleep, then other boats come by as they think they know what I am doing. Occasionally get out on my own and love it.
Had lunch on Bowen yesterday with the family and was checking a good looking fishing machine called 'Bottom Line'. Hit the hump around 2pm entered off Cape Roger, 2 rods, cop car spoon at 100' and the other had a spoon with a bit of pink, green and white down at 80'. The 80' got a hit straight away and it felt big, my inexperience fighting fish shone as I tried to let it run a bit and it spat the hook, trolled around the same area and hit another on the cop car but just under size.

I feel your pain max I have been out on many occasions and have come back with nothing and then read the report and it was going off, thats fishing i guess, but your luck sounds a lot worse than mine. The advice on here is great and I am too inexperienced to add anything more. You do have your flasher the right way round, I was scratching my head when i did not catch anything for ages and checked everything. Fortunately I had a friend head out with me and he gave me a few pointers and then i have just picked up things by chatting to people on the dock or reading forums and fishing reports. Hope your luck changes, they taste great.

Thanks all for the amazing advice.

Thanks Dogbreath,
I think I'll be trying all this tricks, hopefully get a fish next time on the water.

Hello max-p

I definitely recommend you purchase some 15 lb balls 8 is way to light and 12 well I wouldn't use those either I personally only run 20s or 18s however 15 will work just fine.ten to 15 ft behind your down rigger line will work fine for you,all the fisherman have given you the right info on your terminal setups.If you have wire down rigger line its fine just put a piece of heavy ganion or rope which you can buy at pac net and twine in steveston from the end to your ball clip this should kill any charge going up or down your line.you can test your charge buy using a volt meter put a long wire on the ground with an alligator clip,then clip it on your ground of your boat then simply hold the pos on your wire and see what the voltage is,also use a long wire for your pos and strip off 3ft or so hang it over the boat into the water this will give you the reading of the 20ft field around your boat,all boats have a field around there boat and if you have voltage leaks you'll find that the fish are hard to land at the boat because there getting electrocuted.I learned about all this when I tok my boat to a freind in victoria who incidentally invented the black box… he tested my boat and found I had 12 volts going directly into the water in my field.It costed me a pretty penny but I got my boat fully bonded and well lets say tweaked to run super hot like fm had mentioned earlier… now catching a shitload of more fish and when they get close to the boat they basically are a lotcalmer I mean a lot calmer going into the net because they feel more comfortable in the field that my boat is putting out,so believe it or not there is a since to all of this,any questions feel free to ask…

Tight lines
Billydoo

Ok here's a report. Went across for an afternoon troll yesterday to Thasher. Lost a rod and reel when my rod holder snapped however landed this fish in 450' of water down around 150' just north of the rock. Even got a keeper Ling for dinner when the bottom fishing gear came out at slack tide. image.jpg

W
Thanks for your advice fishin_magician, great information.
One of my downrigger's ball is around 12 lbs but the other one shows 8 lbs, on my home scale. I think the canon balls are a bit light.
I had a drop back of 25~28 feet from your release clip off the cable to my flasher, too long?
I was at the hump 3 weeks ago then this morning around 8am (tide change was at 10 am) till noon.
Thank you again

I knew something was amiss.

15 pounders required....sufficient for 90% of fished depths between now and the end of the season on inside waters. 18 pounds is a bit much for standard riggers. 25-28 feet back and you'll miss a big percentage of bites behind flashers or on small spoons. 12 feet back for spoons no flasher and 15-18 feet back with flashers off the clip.

Are you fishing electric downriggers? 15 pound balls on longarm manuals is ok....

Time to visit your local tackle shop.

Since you are just learning...avoid the gangion set up for now. Hang up in the bottom and it could cause you some serious issues. I won't get into that..I do the gangion thing myself but most boats run at the right voltage unless Johnny Crackerjack has been messing with the electrical systems on your boat. Ensure you have 50% or better Zincs remaining and you should be good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, did that boat start with an S and end with a star?

Not while I fished/ran that boat...it was resolved soon after I came along....Had a few gangbuster days I will remember for a while on that boat.

The specific boats I was thinking of are a little ways away from that one. Lol.

Have we guided on the same crew? Don't believe I know your forum nickname.

Got a report from this morning of a guide boat who has landed 10 Chinooks from 10-22 pounds in just a few hours. another guide I know hit 5 in an hour. Time to call in sick...hack! cough!

Thanks ryanb, I try 2 rods every time when I go out but haven't be able to get my first.

Hey max-p. Sounds like you're giving it a good effort. I have been out 6 times since early April and have averaged 6-10 springs each time out. And I almost always only fish 2 rods...and am not that great a fisherman. For you to not even get a shaker something is wrong. Don't keep trying the same thing if it's not working for you.

Thanks for sharing your story Harps,
It is always great to hear others story or experience.
In my situation, (after putting that much effort) I think I can blame it to my bad luck. Hopefully it turns around next time on the water.

Hi all,
New to the forum, have been a lurker but happy to contribute where I can, although I have all the gear and no idea :)
I am one of those people who puts the rods down whenever we are out and the little fella is asleep, then other boats come by as they think they know what I am doing. Occasionally get out on my own and love it.
Had lunch on Bowen yesterday with the family and was checking a good looking fishing machine called 'Bottom Line'. Hit the hump around 2pm entered off Cape Roger, 2 rods, cop car spoon at 100' and the other had a spoon with a bit of pink, green and white down at 80'. The 80' got a hit straight away and it felt big, my inexperience fighting fish shone as I tried to let it run a bit and it spat the hook, trolled around the same area and hit another on the cop car but just under size.

I feel your pain max I have been out on many occasions and have come back with nothing and then read the report and it was going off, thats fishing i guess, but your luck sounds a lot worse than mine. The advice on here is great and I am too inexperienced to add anything more. You do have your flasher the right way round, I was scratching my head when i did not catch anything for ages and checked everything. Fortunately I had a friend head out with me and he gave me a few pointers and then i have just picked up things by chatting to people on the dock or reading forums and fishing reports. Hope your luck changes, they taste great.

Thanks all for the amazing advice.

Thanks for your info greenhornet,
I remember a while ago the fuse on my stereo was blown, I did change it but it blew again right away.
I looked around the electrical compartment but I didn't see anything unusual so I thought Ok, I don't need a stereo now and didn't bother to fix it.
Now you opened my eyes and definitely will be looking at discharging my power into water.
Thank you very much for sharing this.
Cheers

Hello max-p

I definitely recommend you purchase some 15 lb balls 8 is way to light and 12 well I wouldn't use those either I personally only run 20s or 18s however 15 will work just fine.ten to 15 ft behind your down rigger line will work fine for you,all the fisherman have given you the right info on your terminal setups.If you have wire down rigger line its fine just put a piece of heavy ganion or rope which you can buy at pac net and twine in steveston from the end to your ball clip this should kill any charge going up or down your line.you can test your charge buy using a volt meter put a long wire on the ground with an alligator clip,then clip it on your ground of your boat then simply hold the pos on your wire and see what the voltage is,also use a long wire for your pos and strip off 3ft or so hang it over the boat into the water this will give you the reading of the 20ft field around your boat,all boats have a field around there boat and if you have voltage leaks you'll find that the fish are hard to land at the boat because there getting electrocuted.I learned about all this when I tok my boat to a freind in victoria who incidentally invented the black box… he tested my boat and found I had 12 volts going directly into the water in my field.It costed me a pretty penny but I got my boat fully bonded and well lets say tweaked to run super hot like fm had mentioned earlier… now catching a shitload of more fish and when they get close to the boat they basically are a lotcalmer I mean a lot calmer going into the net because they feel more comfortable in the field that my boat is putting out,so believe it or not there is a since to all of this,any questions feel free to ask…

Tight lines
Billydoo

Thanks fishin_magician
Yes defiantly I'll be going to tackle shop soon. Also will defiantly reduce the back length from my clip to 18'.
I think I have around %80 zinc remaining.

W

I knew something was amiss.

15 pounders required....sufficient for 90% of fished depths between now and the end of the season on inside waters. 18 pounds is a bit much for standard riggers. 25-28 feet back and you'll miss a big percentage of bites behind flashers or on small spoons. 12 feet back for spoons no flasher and 15-18 feet back with flashers off the clip.

Are you fishing electric downriggers? 15 pound balls on longarm manuals is ok....

Time to visit your local tackle shop.

Since you are just learning...avoid the gangion set up for now. Hang up in the bottom and it could cause you some serious issues. I won't get into that..I do the gangion thing myself but most boats run at the right voltage unless Johnny Crackerjack has been messing with the electrical systems on your boat. Ensure you have 50% or better Zincs remaining and you should be good to go.

Is this a reports thread, hahaha ;)....an electrical thread....a "how to" thread?? :p :D

Ha Ha!! That's hilarious! I think it's become a how to thread. I remember when i was learning way back when.......i used to book charters and learn from the pro's but there was no internet back then

Back