O-FISH-ALL 2014 Vancouver, Howe Sound, Sunshine Coast Reports Thread!

Sweet ! I was wondering if it was flat out tonight ... i'll be hitting it wednesday eve with my tinner . Sockeye fever !! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
sorry for the giant photos, i'll get that edited for next time (hopefully the catch keeps up)

Started noonish, Boxed 5 sox, lost 5 sox with green horns never fishing them ..... was worth a laugh though. all at 80 to 60 foot hook up range ........ didnt see many caught, only saw 5 jumpers all day .... no big schools. beauty day out there. North Arm to almost sandheads.

Nice mini spring in the third pic bud......glad u had some good fishin but please learn how to ID the species. Big spots, black gums.....prolly a chinook.....

fished from 2 till approx 7 tonight boxed 7 and lost a couple others
Love them doubles and triples
All from t10 and south 60-90'

Nice mini spring in the third pic bud......glad u had some good fishin but please learn how to ID the species. Big spots, black gums.....prolly a chinook.....

Looks undersized unfortunately

Oops you just posted evidence of your poaching. Well done. I don't buy that this guy didn't know the difference between a spring and a sock/pink/coho. You were even nice enough to include a photo of you boat registration numbers.

The boys are young and I'm sure made an honest mistake, if in fact it is a spring. Not a lot of point in hammering them here. By the looks of their faces they were excited and proud of their catch. Better they be out fishing instead of what a lot of the younger crowd is into. To suggest they posted pictures knowing they had an illegal fish is a bit ludicrous I think. They made need some education in fish identification but they aren't alone in that department. Let he who has not sinned cast the first stone I guess.

I know this happens all the time especially with pinks as at a quick glance they look somewhat similar. I used to see it fairly frequently as a couple of the unguided lodges I worked at, two guys would bring 4 pinks in calling them springs.....I am 99% sure these guys didn't know it was a chinook but that being said if you fish you NEED TO BE ABLE TO IDENTIFY WHICH SALMON IS WHICH. Typical hints that your pink is a small spring are:
1. black gums
2. spotted tail with a metallic hue
3. a purple to gold shine on the fish in the water.
4. spotted back

If you are unsure of the fish type in the water use a catch and release net to capture the fish and then identify it in the water beside the boat in the net. This way you can get up close and personal with the fish before killing it. I have a hard time buying the young guys comment...if you can pass grade school you can identify salmon. Too many people are only concerned about getting the silver fish in the boat and giving it the rock shampoo.......

And So this Thread goes the way of a Hunting Site ......... with posted pic's of what some call illegal Rams .......

Beware all ...... Fish Cops Lurk haha

Looks like an honest Mistake but if some feel so strongly about it ....... expect a knock on your door soon

Ask yourself, if you knew what you were doing would you post a Vid or Pic of yourself going 230 KM on a Motorcycle ...... now smarten up boyz and get to know your catch ! U Bad !

Aye, lets be a little more helpful and btw congrats on the catch...or its a huge tub and a 70cm pink beside it. Meanwhile, here is what has helped me in the early days, once you get it you can tell while they are in the water...and coho aren't confusing, white gums and only spots on the top of the tail.

Pink salmon:
imagesCZVJNY1N.jpgimagesEN9J5I8K.jpg

Spring (Chinook) salmon:
imagesZDBYHJ6Q.jpguntitled.jpg

NOW, back to the fishing reports....anyone spending time out at sand heads? The whales playing around there?

was out last night 5-8pm 1 fish on a double header and lost a few started t-10 headed back to north arm. Anyone having better success in the morning vs night ? First week of opening had limits of sox during night bite but now its a battle seems like?

it has been tough in the evenings......Monday we had 15 fish hooked, killed our 8. Tuesday night hooked 8 killed 4. Full moon, huge tides makes for little sockeye love. It will get better give it another week or so.

Hi, Little off topic but good stats. I'm a number guy and follow test nets plus other stats over the years. This is for area 12 which is up by Telegraph Cove / Port McNeill. In 2010 from July 24th to Aug 12th the total from that test seine boat was 84,655 sockeye with a year total up to Sept 7th 2010 of 869,753. With the same dates this year this boat has hit 190,836 but only did 4 of the 6 sets yesterday. If it did all 6 it would of been around 200,836. So either the sockeye are 4-6 days earlier this year or the run could be larger than 2010. All in all there will be a lot of sockeye around in 5-8 days.

Cheers, Rob

Never mind a few days from now, it's on fire now. guide boats are tubbing out easily by half time of the charter.

"To protect the Sakinaw lake fishery." - says on DFO's site. (Can't find it now but I saw it once). Pretty sure that return is very low. Yes it sucks but I can understand the concern. You can bet that with the few sockeye that swim by/in 16 that some would be heading there (hopefully!).

Good luck finding any Salmon in area 16 anyway :p No fish / painfully slow fishing (Well, they are there, I can see them on the fancy sounder they just don't bite! Swim right by...), I've basically almost given up!!!... Almost.

Looks to me like its a pink along with 3 others in that pic. Tiny tiny scales that come off really easily, look at the missing scales by the tail. Pink in the boat = lots of tiny scales on the floor. Anyone else with me?

Back