New kicker. I need help

I run a 9.9 HT Honda.
I was warned the new motors not as smooth as the old ones.
It vibrated a little for the first season but after it broke in it smoothed out nicely, thank goodness!
One thing I can say is that its very easy to start.
1 pull usually does the trick.
It has never let me down.
It replaced an 8 hp Honda I ran for 10 years, I opted to replace it rather than spend big dollars on service. Re-sale on the used Hondas is amazing.
New engine has many years left in it and much easier to service than the old one.
Thermostat is easy to change out and it can be flushed out without starting it with a garden hose.
I would recommend Honda.
GA

I owned several Yammie T'8s and a T-9.9 over the years. Never had the cold-start issues I read about on this and other Forums --- I was always careful to clean the carbs at least once a season and always doped my fuel (Yammie ring-free and Stabil).

Finally went to a Honda 9.9 because I wanted the pull-start option. So far, 300 hours on her without a hiccup. The Honda mechs I talk to all seem to agree that the Honda 8 and 9.9 and 15 is one of the best small outboards on the market for long-term reliability AS LONG AS YOU DRAIN THE CARB AFTER EVERY USE.

I heard the Honda carbs have extremely small fuel ports--not a good mix with ethanol-doped fuel that attracts water, then breaks down in the fuel cup after sitting for just a few days, leaving mineral deposits crusted in the intake ports

It seems Honda recognized this was an issue--as far as I know, they are the only manufacturer that have two pee-holes plumbed into the shaft housing: one to allow exit of cooling water from the impeller, one for draining gas out of the carb.

Very handy for catching it in a container after you twist the fuel bowl screw

Last edited by a moderator:
not to hijack but, i've had a 9.9 honda for about a year and its great but parts are expensive including spark plugs. i have a friend who i do all the service on his honda 9.9 as well i rebuilt the carbs about a year ago on mine and did his three years ago. drian the carbs at the end of the season or stabilizer. his sits for the better part of the winter my only about 2 months. if some one told me i had to drain the carb after every use or it would get plugged i would say there crazy (and find a new shop) i've worked on many of these motors over the years right back to the blue ones and the ONLY time i see old fuel gumming things up is long term storage and inadequate filtering. if honda techs are saying drain the carb after every use i would NEVER buy or RECOMMEND a honda.

yammie tohatsu honda suzuki all make great products you really can't got wrong with whatever you decide they all have there pro's and con's. weight and price point would be my focus and trusted local dealership for warranty and manufacturer services.

I ran a 9.9 yammy HT with no problems, electric start fired up right away (It was an 06) and a Honda 8 horse that was also flawless. Little more vibration on the Yamaha but it was mainly through the steering connecting to the main.

I can’t, and you never hear me argue about going Honda on anything. It happens to be one of the first things I look for buying anything that has a small engine – Honda builds a very good small 4-Stoke engine

There were only certain Mercury engines built by Yamaha prior to 2005. The 6, 8, 9.9, 15, 20, 25hp two stroke engines from the mid 1980s to 2005 were built by Mercury at the Fond Du Lac plant and are Mercury designed and built. There are some SeaPro and Mariner 2-Stoke engines that were Yamaha and they are different depending on the years. The 2002 and 2003, 225HP 4-stoke Mercury are also actually built by Yamaha.

Might I suggest re-thinking those Mercury 9.9 Bigfoot, simply from a cost standpoint. All small Nissan and Mercury are all now built by Tohatsu (and soon to come - Etec). All are the same engines, one is just paying more for the different “nameplate”.

I would also suggest re-thinking those “High Thrust” anything? If more power is needed consider going with more horsepower (e.g. 15HP over the 9.9 HP Bigfoot or anything else high trust. It is horsepower verses torque issue. That will also help get rid of some of those vibration issues mentioned. Most light, shallow draft fishing boats really don’t need any additional thrust; however, the additional horsepower might come in handy with strong currents and high winds. That is unless you really do have a valid reason and need that extra torque (e.g. heavy boats, with deep keels, such as sailboats, tugs, and pontoons) – most don’t. Keep in mind the 15HP engines come with a 12 amp/138 watt alternator verses the 9.9HP anthing coming with 6 amp/76 watt.

There could be a possible need for that additional 5” of optional shaft length (25 inch shaft length), but I really doubt. To find the proper shaft length needed, measure from the top of the transom (or top of the mount) and rig the kicker so the top of the anti-cavitation plate is equal to, or below the lowest point of the hull (which is the keel). Go with the longer shaft length, provided there is still clearance when the engine is tilted in the up position. That helps keep the prop from coming out of the water. It really doesn’t hurt the engine, but personally find it is just irritating to listen to that prop coming out of the water. Longer shafts will help prevent that.

I've got a 8 hp Yamaha high thrust. I bought the elec start remote lift. Never had a problem starting it. Weights 105 lbs and breaths fumes. Dirt cheap to operate. I've had it 4 years (2008 model) and I'd buy another one in a heart beat.

X2 - same rig on my boat. It starts immediately, runs all day, every day for a week on a 5 gal. tank, all summer long. I have the remote control up at the helm with a tach - trolling is too easy. Darn - put the beer down. Fish on!

I did a little research on standard v.s. high thrust motors before I recently purchased.

My understanding with a 'high thrust' motor is that they are geared lower and have a greater diameter, lower-pitched prop. This means they do have more torque as Charlie says but also operate in the engine's most effective rpm range (typically 900-5500 rpm) better particularly when pushing a heavy boat boat at sub-plane speed.

Apparently standard (non high-thrust) motors, of the same displacement and power, may have difficulty reaching their max design rpm and may cavitate when attempting to push at higher rpm...to be effective these motors need to be able to push a lighter boat thru the water at a higher speed - which they can't do when being used as a heavy boat kicker....geared too high for slow speeds.

Having discovered all this I bought a standard 9.9 Merc (long) for my kicker on my 17' Calais simply because that was lots of power and torque anyway and I could also use the kicker as a primary motor on my 12' aluminum for lake fishing.

PS. the merc doesn't start as easily as my 2003 Honda 15 did.

While I do know Imperial gallons are more than U.S. gallons, I surely hope you don't try - to run all day, every day for a week on a 5 gal. tank, all summer long. At least without checking your fuel level, as if I multiply a burn at a rate of 0.4 US/GPH that would be and only equate to "ONE" 12 hour all day fishing period on that 5 gallons. Sorry, just couldn't resist! :)

I designed my pod for a 25' leg, to work with my Yami 250 HPDI, I see that both the the 15 horse zuke and the Tak, are only offered with a 20" leg.
Am I going to have to come up with some sort of improvised mount for my kicker, or do you know who makes a 25" leg?

http://newoutboards.com/
Anyone?

Just ordered the new honda 9.9 electric start power tilt front controls...the whole she-bang. thanks for all the great advice

While I do know Imperial gallons are more than U.S. gallons, I surely hope you don't try - to run all day, every day for a week on a 5 gal. tank, all summer long. At least without checking your fuel level, as if I multiply a burn at a rate of 0.4 US/GPH that would be and only equate to "ONE" 12 hour all day fishing period on that 5 gallons. Sorry, just couldn't resist! :)
LOL, Charlie! I guess it bears mentioning that the sockeye require only 1100 rpm of the kicker to move the boat at 1.8 mph and our "day" is a fishing day (as opposed to a work-day of 8 hours) of about 4 hours, to get our limit. That allows ample time for us to support the local brewery. Even targeting the springs (kings for you - haha) at the much quicker troll of 2.3 to 2.8 mph, it's only 1400 - 1600 rpm. Of course we get much better fuel economy sitting on the outside jerking for the 'butts! So you see, we do get a week of fishing for the five Colonial galoons! ;)

Spoiling the fun now Charlie, I did put a tap and a Yamaha fitting into the big (150 US gallon) tank for the kicker, just in case it's a slow fishing day and we have to troll for five hours!:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back