yamaha high thrust kicker - T9.9 or T25?

Last_Call

Need to add a new kicker to my boat this year and will likely go with a yamaha T9.9 or T25 high thrust with power tilt. I already have a steering tie-in bracket as there was a kicker on this boat under the previous owner. I'll have to get kicker controls and mount them below the port side gunwale where the previous owner had mounted his. The boat is 25' long and weight appx 6,500lbs as is. I'm leaning towards the T25 as I want to ensure I've got ample power and prefer less noise but wanted to get anyone's thoughts who is more familiar with these engines and the differences between them. I'll likely wait until the Van boat show (feb 1-5) to buy the engine and controls as it'll be easier to see who's got what in stock, etc. thx for any feedback / thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_6237.jpg
    IMG_6237.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 41
+1 for the T25 -- get the fuel injected version and you'll never have to worry about gummed up carbs, cold starts, etc. It fires up on first turn every time. Also a good backup to get you home safely if your main every fails. When in doubt, always round up on more power. :)

I had the t9.9 on my 23 hourston, bit of a dog. I went to it after an older Evinrude 9.9 that was twice the power head size, there I was thinkin the new engine was smaller and more efficient, just cheaper with less torque. Man was I disappointed. Nothing less than a 20 next time for me.

Ive got a 2020 Yam 9.9HT. It pushes my 23 ft 5500-6000 lb boat very well. Even in high winds it keeps my vector in line. I rarely ever have to fire up the main unless winds are above 15-20 knots. I looked at the 25, but, for me the extra weight concerned me. That said I know the 25 is an awesome motor and the amps it cranks are impressive. I know a guy who has one who went from the 9.9 and says its a new world with the 25. Either is great, if cost and weight doesn't bother you, go with the 25, but, a 9.9 would likely meet your needs.

A friend of mine who unfortunately now is no longer with us, used to say: Dude...nobody ever regretted having too much horsepower!

I ran a 9.9 on a 26 foot Seasport for a couple of seasons and although it was “adequate”, there were definitely times when I wished I had a few more ponies to keep me marching in the wind and keep the boat off the rocks in the event of a panic move.

My boat before that one (24 foot Skagit Orca) had a 15 Hp hi-thrust Honda and I regretted not getting the same kicker when I stepped up for the 26 foot Seasport

So I just busted a move for a 28 foot Seasport and the first thing I did was hang a T25 off the stern. I already learned my lesson with kickers....go big and go home

The T25 ticked the following boxes for me:

1)) X-Long Shaft Hi-Thrust
2)) Pull-start through the cowling
3)) EFI

I have not splashed the boat yet...lots of mods being done....but I have no doubt that once I start putting the boat through its paces I’ll find I made the right move with the T-25. (though yes, it was an expensive move compared to the 9.9, like almost three times as much cost by the time I got it installed with Yamaha controls)

A274DE51-F5A5-42CE-BD36-CBA68CA6B5F8.jpeg

Last edited:
Need to add a new kicker to my boat this year and will likely go with a yamaha T9.9 or T25 high thrust with power tilt. I already have a steering tie-in bracket as there was a kicker on this boat under the previous owner. I'll have to get kicker controls and mount them below the port side gunwale where the previous owner had mounted his. The boat is 25' long and weight appx 6,500lbs as is. I'm leaning towards the T25 as I want to ensure I've got ample power and prefer less noise but wanted to get anyone's thoughts who is more familiar with these engines and the differences between them. I'll likely wait until the Van boat show (feb 1-5) to buy the engine and controls as it'll be easier to see who's got what in stock, etc. thx for any feedback

Buy anything injected (the 9.9 yam is not).

Does the 25 have a rev limiter in reverse? I went from a 15 merc to a 30 and the 30 had less jam in reverse. I absolutely hate it. I realize it's a big boat but I can't even hold position in 5 knots.

Does the 25 have a rev limiter in reverse? I went from a 15 merc to a 30 and the 30 had less jam in reverse. I absolutely hate it.

Whomever sold you a 30 merc as a kicker did you a disservice. A good dealer wouldn't do that to you unless you were dead set on buying one. Even with the new 500cc 25prokicker holding you on position in many conditions in that beast would be an unreasonable ask. Well outside of the task a kicker is intended to do.

The 15 did a better job of it to be honest. Never expected a miracle but thought it had to be slightly better. I actually don't even remember why the change was suggested.

The 15 did a better job of it to be honest. Never expected a miracle but thought it had to be slightly better. I actually don't even remember why the change was suggested.

I believe you would be better off with a set of 15s out towards the corners (see the nwac for sale with twin 15s). If you were on the west side that would have probably been the dealer recommendation. I'd think the transom dead rise in the commander would be a problem for pretty much anything center mounted. Tandem kickers would push much nicer in pretty much all conditions, both forward and in reverse. I dono raincity, you don't seem to get great value from your shop visits.

Is it a bubble machine? Might be overpropped. Should be swingin a big dia low pitch club

Interesting subject what is the weight / amp difference
Between 9.9 a 25. Sure I could look it up on my own.

If we're talking yamaha I think the control model with power tilt in the 25 is 147 lbs. They don't make an XL to my knowledge. Have to buy the extension kit. Then you gain a few lbs. 16 amp charging circuit

Tohatsu has the new D models now. 3 cylinder which is nice. Little lighter then the yamaha with just a smidgen more charging amps at 17.5. Same thing though to get a 25inch extension kit cost ya another g note.

Either way you have more WOT to get home in a jam. Also have a bigger gearcase and can swing a bigger prop, so more grip. Both have reduction gear ratios.

Also either way you would have to disassemble the mechanical lockout for @Raincity so you can catch fish in reverse

Last edited:
Back