Best brand new kicker?

owen

My 1994 vintage 4-stroke Yamaha 9.9 has seen better days and the wife says I need to buy brand new...

Boat is a podded Campion Explorer 188, either an 8 or a 9.9 would work. Charging and provisions for a cable helm are a must. Electric start would be nice as would remote controls or at least the option to do it later. Do not want power tilt. I have nearby dealers that sell Mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki and maybe Honda.

The 20 Tohatsu is the same weight as the 9.9 for just a few hundred more. You can't buy any other 10.1 horsepower that cheaply.

Not sure what kind of info your looking for but I’ve got a 2018 Yamaha 8hp and it’s louder and vibrates a lot more than the last generation did. I would’ve bought something different had I known

Suzuki, merc, tohatsu all will serve you well. try to match with your main I find it easier to pick parts up at just one dealer. Consider dealer support pricing and warranty as well. I think your crazy to not want power tilt my motor is connected to the main tilting down firing up the kicker and putting it in gear takes all of 30seconds and no leaning over the stern.

Suzuki, merc, tohatsu all will serve you well. try to match with your main I find it easier to pick parts up at just one dealer. Consider dealer support pricing and warranty as well. I think your crazy to not want power tilt my motor is connected to the main tilting down firing up the kicker and putting it in gear takes all of 30seconds and no leaning over the stern.
I agree. And, unless you are planning on getting younger and stronger - get the power tilt!

i think Campion 188’s are usually I/O

could be wrong tho

Suzuki 20hp extra long shaft for my kicker on Grady White 265 Express - good result - lots of hours on my last one.

I would never buy a kicker without power tilt again, I rushed my order and ended up without, oops. I have to go out there to connect the steering bar but my back could do without the kicker dead lift at the end of the day haha

I'm following the fuel jnjection discussion closely. Knock on wood but my 2016 yamaha 9.9 has been rock solid. I don't need to choke it either and it just fires right up with an annual service done by myself. I did the timing belt this season too so we shall see how it goes and if yamaha brings out an FI version so I don't have to switch controls out.

I would never buy a kicker without power tilt again, I rushed my order and ended up without, oops. I have to go out there to connect the steering bar but my back could do without the kicker dead lift at the end of the day haha

I'm following the fuel jnjection discussion closely. Knock on wood but my 2016 yamaha 9.9 has been rock solid. I don't need to choke it either and it just fires right up with an annual service done by myself. I did the timing belt this season too so we shall see how it goes and if yamaha brings out an FI version so I don't have to switch controls out.
You're just a glutton for punishment

Back