yamaha high thrust kicker - T9.9 or T25?

If we're talking yamaha I think the control model with power tilt in the 25 is 147 lbs. They don't make an XL to my knowledge. Have to buy the extension kit. Then you gain a few lbs. 16 amp charging circuit

Tohatsu has the new D models now. 3 cylinder which is nice. Little lighter then the yamaha with just a smidgen more charging amps at 17.5. Same thing though to get a 25inch extension kit cost ya another g note.

Either way you have more WOT to get home in a jam. Also have a bigger gearcase and can swing a bigger prop, so more grip. Both have reduction gear ratios.

Also either way you would have to disassemble the mechanical lockout for @Raincity so you can catch fish in reverse
If y'all haven't been fishing in reverse, you've been doing it all wrong.

Need to add a new kicker to my boat this year and will likely go with a yamaha T9.9 or T25 high thrust with power tilt. I already have a steering tie-in bracket as there was a kicker on this boat under the previous owner. I'll have to get kicker controls and mount them below the port side gunwale where the previous owner had mounted his. The boat is 25' long and weight appx 6,500lbs as is. I'm leaning towards the T25 as I want to ensure I've got ample power and prefer less noise but wanted to get anyone's thoughts who is more familiar with these engines and the differences between them. I'll likely wait until the Van boat show (feb 1-5) to buy the engine and controls as it'll be easier to see who's got what in stock, etc. thx for any feedback / thoughts.
25hp is nicer to listen to all day over the smaller more frantic 8hp / 9.9hp kicker...

I can’t even tell my 9.9 in running most of the time. It’s just above idle at 2.5 mph

Agreed just above idle the 8/9.9 is a beauty. But there are lots of times where just above idle won't work. It's when you're fishing Thrasher or other areas against 3-4mph of current... need to make 2.5mph plus buck the 4mph current for 6.5mph SOW / 2.5mph SOG. That's when the 9.9 can grate on your nerves as the day goes on. Lots of almost WOT running the 9.9 to buck it.. eventually gave up and ran the main in those conditions. The 25hp at larger throttle openings still sounds calm and smooth. A lot will depend on where you fish for current and how much the boat you're trying to push weighs.

Upgraded to the 25 from the Yammy 9.9. Only negative is finding the sweet spot for trolling. Find myself fiddling with the throttle a lot more than with the 9.9. Other than that there great, the larger alternator and being able to move the boat around in strong winds/tide is a bonus.

A bigger kicker sounds really nice, although, if I had an outboard I would probably end up trolling on the mains, I love the quiet. Additionally, being able to tack against strong wind and current with ease would be nice, if I were to upgrade I would probably go with a 15pro kicker. With my current yammy 9.9ht I can move my 24 Monaro fairly easily in calm waters but with a stronger current it does need quite a bit of throttle. @Last_Call have you thought about the 15? Or you want to stick with yammy only?

A bigger kicker sounds really nice, although, if I had an outboard I would probably end up trolling on the mains, I love the quiet. Additionally, being able to tack against strong wind and current with ease would be nice, if I were to upgrade I would probably go with a 15pro kicker. With my current yammy 9.9ht I can move my 24 Monaro fairly easily in calm waters but with a stronger current it does need quite a bit of throttle. @Last_Call have you thought about the 15? Or you want to stick with yammy only?

I tell guys if your going 9.9 you may as well go 20. Same engine lineup 9.9 -20. They are selling HP. Cost difference between the 3 are a few hundred bucks. When you go up a notch (25 hp) you get a bigger displacement and bigger gearcase, bigger wheel. You go from a fully loaded little kicker for 5 grand with the parts and things on the 20s and under, to add 2 grand and there ya have it. Yamaha will be more money 100 percent. Parts everything. One thing they do have is the troll +- if rigged with the smart guages on the 25

25hp is nicer to listen to all day over the smaller more frantic 8hp / 9.9hp kicker...
The 25 is surprisingly loud
I tell guys if your going 9.9 you may as well go 20. Same engine lineup 9.9 -20. They are selling HP. Cost difference between the 3 are a few hundred bucks. When you go up a notch (25 hp) you get a bigger displacement and bigger gearcase, bigger wheel. You go from a fully loaded little kicker for 5 grand with the parts and things on the 20s and under, to add 2 grand and there ya have it. Yamaha will be more money 100 percent. Parts everything. One thing they do have is the troll +- if rigged with the smart guages on the 25
Should be able to rig the 25 tohatsu/ Mercury with the troll control too. It's all smart craft gauge compatible I believe.

The 25 is surprisingly loud

Should be able to rig the 25 tohatsu/ Mercury with the troll control too. It's all smart craft gauge compatible I believe.

I haven't actually landed a D model yet. I just shut the shop down for the rest of this one. They are coming. Haven't has much time to talk to my reps either. The little bit of time I did spend was they have the +- built into the tiller assembly. Might just be able to hook up a switch. Me not know at this time. Boat show is here and I'll have answers pretty quick. The industry is getting close to electric controls on small stuff. Zuki going have it on their 75s etc. It's coming. Right now it's almost cheaper to do it that way for the engine maker. Mechanical things take skill and engineering lol

I agree the 25 is louder than I'd expect but not too bad. The charging amps are great -- keeps the beer fridge, stereo and electronics topped off all day. :)

And yes, trolling in reverse -- especially when trolling deep in a 4-5kt top current -- can sometimes trigger the bite.

I tell guys if you’re going 9.9 you may as well go 20. Same engine lineup 9.9 -20. They are selling HP. Cost difference between the 3 are a few hundred bucks. When you go up a notch (25 hp) you get a bigger displacement and bigger gearcase, bigger wheel. You go from a fully loaded little kicker for 5 grand with the parts and things on the 20s and under, to add 2 grand and there ya have it. Yamaha will be more money 100 percent. Parts everything. One thing they do have is the troll +- if rigged with the smart guages on the 25
B82326DE-E50A-42A5-A70F-9D58FED70173.jpeg
Yamaha also has this kit, for troll control. So you don’t need the more expensive guage. I find that I don’t use it very much, because we’re always making larger adjustments to the throttle, due to wind and current. The switch only does 50 rpm increments. Which takes to long to respond. IMO , on these smaller trolling engines, troll control isn’t worth it. Unless you’re on a calm lake

View attachment 87872
Yamaha also has this kit, for troll control. So you don’t need the more expensive guage. I find that I don’t use it very much, because we’re always making larger adjustments to the throttle, due to wind and current. The switch only does 50 rpm increments. Which takes to long to respond. IMO , on these smaller trolling engines, troll control isn’t worth it. Unless you’re on a calm lake
Agreed. Had this switch on a 25hp on a Northriver 2900 and it didn't make enough adjustment quickly enough to make it worth while. If it was on one of the main outboards it would have been sufficient. Removed it.

On an different boat with twin 300 Verado mains, the 50rpm change via digital troll control was really nice to have when adjusting fishing speed at the touch of a button.

That VTS (Variable Troll Speed) switch on the F25 is a joke. It only works between 800 and 1200rpm, which means you never get to use it fishing for salmon. I made the mistake of adding one without reading the fine print.

The pro-troll kit is nice.
You can set it up and the helm and do 50rpm adjustments and it’s instant.

View attachment 87872

That VTS (Variable Troll Speed) switch on the F25 is a joke. It only works between 800 and 1200rpm, which means you never get to use it fishing for salmon. I made the mistake of adding one without reading the fine print.

Well that's some good user feedback.

Back