Nanaimo automotive repairs

allanb76

Crew Member
Nanaimo people.....what is your favourite shop (aside from stealerships) for automotive repairs? Diesel knowledge preferred, but steering/suspension is typically what I'm having repaired thanks to the Bamfield road

Last edited:
Can anyone in the Nanaimo area recommend a decent mechanic/shop for diesel pickups? I feel the one I have been using (that seem to have a good reputation) for many years is overpriced and am curious what others are doing.
Sorry but what is over priced to you? What’s the hr rate? Do they do a good job and offer warranty?

Sorry but what is over priced to you? What’s the hr rate? Do they do a good job and offer warranty?
The labour is fair but when I can go to Lordco and buy the same part for less than the 1/2 the price it’s frustrating. I have had them warranty parts, but in my experience the manufacturer of the part covers that. I still end up paying the labour.

First off not trying to be a dick about this BUT the old adage comes to mind in regards to your situation.

Would you bring your own steak to the keg for them to cook along with your own candles etc just to use their table and utensils? we all know the answer is NO so why should providing auto parts be any different.

I'm in the industry and see this day in and day out, yes sometimes parts are cheaper to buy yourself but your also not getting a professional red seal tech to install them and warranty that repair, its unfortunate they don't cover labour for warranty (We do where im a service manager) but hey everyone's shop is different. Its very expensive to run a business in the auto repair world or any business in general (wages, training, shop buildings, triple net, equipment etc) margins are in place for a reason to be profitable/sustainable or else whats the point? I cant speak on that shop but to me most of us all have our numbers inline with others, and diesel is a different world in itself and usually costs associated with those repairs sky rocket fast.

The auto repair parts world has turn this whole industry into a mockery, any joe blow can go down to the store and buy whatever part they want including parts that sometimes they don't even know what it does on the vehicle or where it goes! Causing major safety and reliability concerns for us in the industry.

NO OTHER INDUSTRY gets this issue that im aware of and please chime in if your in other trades aka electricians, plumbers, carpenters, welders etc. and do "Customer Supplied Parts or Materials"

NO OTHER INDUSTRY gets this issue that im aware of and please chime in if your in other trades aka electricians, plumbers, carpenters, welders etc. and do "Customer Supplied Parts or Materials"

I've seen it both ways, client supplies fixtures or client has to buy fixtures though contractor or ive seen the contractor supply the client with list of vendors to buy from with contractors project info. I've also seen it where client/contractor split the savings from using the contractors account.

Nanaimo people.....what is your favourite shop (aside from stealerships) for automotive repairs? Diesel knowledge preferred, but steering/suspension is typically what I'm having repaired thanks to the Bamfield road
I have had lots of work done by Supertech by the Shaw building. Maybe the price was higher than others but I trusted them.
Always worked hard in getting my work van back to me as quick as possible.
Also they worked on my f-150 eco boost. Replacing both turbos when one ( new rebuilt) failed on their dime. Also rented me a truck while fixing it.

They were a busy shop so getting in takes some time.

I used to encounter this lots, but I realised years ago that I needed the profit margin from materials to provide a cash pool for warranty claims. So my policy has been to politely decline to install products I didn't supply, unless the client agrees to a higher margin on labour. Obviously we try hard to get it right the first time, but people are people, not robots, so mistakes happen.

Warranty isn't free. Hence why cheapie stuff has little to none, and why trucks depreciate the most as they exit the manufacturer warranty period.

Lol. Wow. 🙄 I never said I wanted to bring parts to a shop or have someone install the parts I bought. I simply feel their markup is on the high side and was looking to see what other options are out there for reputable shops.

With markup, there’s always a line somewhere. You guys just pay whatever an outfit wants and never question prices….doubtful.

Back