MY APPEAL TO Salt Water FISHERMEN .

There is a small market being made right here on this forum. No ne said anything about "commercial".

If we offer FN cash for sealion pelts from our home waters,,, that's getting the job done.

No politics, no commercial. Just a local industry. It's no different then when one of us gets items made from FN.

I personally have had a couple pair of wolf winter gloves made from FN. The look & wear amazing, & best of all,,,,,, "one less wolf running around killing elk"..

That's how some of us Canadians roll.

Last edited:
a few orders will be made through a facilitator in bam

I'm not sure what you are talking about with wasps in Russia? That sounds more beuracracy speak than anything else on this thread, you work in Victoria? The point is there is almost no market for the seal products being produced already, and thinking there somehow is a market for west coast seal products when there is none for east coast seals makes no sense. There is no market reason for killing them by FN or anyone else. If they are killed it will be just to kill them, and the carcasses will go to waste and have to be disposed of somewhere, and no shipping them to the arctic isn't a good idea, who knows what west coast diseases or parasites they will spread to the bears natural food supply in the arctic, and screw up the whole ecosystem there - like we have here! Since they will have to be shot in the water, many carcasses will sink and wash up later as stinking messes on kits or ambleside beach. I'm sure the west side and West Van residents be happy and be quiet about the kills when that happens.

california... i,m picking up you are our resident TROLL...and not Trolling for salmon.
You obviously have NO idea what your talking about, and have ZERO experience on this coast or the east coast , nor any coast.
We are not suggesting tribes of wild natives with guns blazing , go out into English Bay and Shoot all the Seals , so they can wash up onto Ambleside beach and horrify the children and yourself on the seawall.
Also there IS a market , for Seal Pelts...I know , because i have bought them and seen it.
And they are fantastic product.
I also realize people like you and Paul McCartneys wife disagree with it.
The local people on the East coast make money from the industry and also become great organic craft artists and trades people because of this cottage industry.
Making fabulous organic ..vests , boots, jackets, blankets etc.
On the east coast they have a much larger area and population of seals to "Target."..sorry if that word offends you.
But , we have a problem and this idea is possibly a solution to solve part of the problem.
I do not have a problem eating something with a face , or killing something if i eat it and use the body parts in a positive way.
I do not have a problem with helping someone with a START UP business , and will support the hunt and would love to see the final products for sale at village shops and gallery,s.
You have expressed your negative opinion Californian , and we get it.
On a more positive note , i have received info from a couple of members that have FN connections who approached a Band Office, and they are very interested .The band is having a special meeting to discuss it further.
They also said , they are confident they will have zero interference from DFO or Californians.
We are not thinking this will be a AMAZON business, just a little cottage/village craft business.

Once again , i appeal to Members to help with this if you agree.
I,m not a very good business administrator and would like suggestions how we can go forward with this as far as organizing the coast in ,
Areas and getting Reps to approach FN offices.
No one else is gonna do this for us.
So , if you have a bit of time and energy , and think this is remotely possible , what do we have to lose?
Suggestions please .

It would be cool, if you could just go to Band office and place an order, or buy it off the shelves. Every responsible fisherman should be in there annually placing an order if they like the product or not!!

Just like every ungulate hunter should have a bear tag.

this is a great idea. I would talk to a FN that you have 500 pre-orders. I would liked to be added to the "pre-order" list to buy 1 genuine west coast seal pelt. I don't know what I would do with it, but it would obviously be for a good cull, I'm mean cause.

DAJ

Last edited:
California is a great example of when someone is more ideologically driven than logical/pragmatic.

But that’s alright, no skin off my nose.

I can think of quite a few uses for some pelts, so sign me up.

california... i,m picking up you are our resident TROLL...and not Trolling for salmon.
You obviously have NO idea what your talking about, and have ZERO experience on this coast or the east coast , nor any coast.
We are not suggesting tribes of wild natives with guns blazing , go out into English Bay and Shoot all the Seals , so they can wash up onto Ambleside beach and horrify the children and yourself on the seawall.
Also there IS a market , for Seal Pelts...I know , because i have bought them and seen it.
And they are fantastic product.
They also said , they are confident they will have zero interference from DFO or Californians.
We are not thinking this will be a AMAZON business, just a little cottage/village craft business.

And just what is your expertise to determine I know nothing about any coast? I express an opinion you don't like so you resort to personal attacks? I've lived most of my life on the west coast, fishing for salmon for decades, did a biology degree specializing in fisheries at UBC. Worked at the Capilano hatchery. California is just a thread name, an avatar - you do know what that is? Unlike you I do some research before spouting off about something you obviously know nothing about. Maybe Research the market for seal pelts and the dying east coast hunt, and its not a market because a few rednecks on this thread saying they would buy one (I also have a business degree). Maybe research some of the data on smolt survival before mindlessly scapegoating a particular species for the destruction humans have brought forth on the pacific Salmon through a multitude of factors. So yeah, I will keep "trolling" threads dominated by the ignorant simpleminded attitude of "duh...we need to kill all dem seals'. Ignorance is always easier, and more popular!

I sent a link to this thread to a prominent FN band person. His reply:

"Not going to happen with us. Seals are protected and next thing we would have PETA, Greenpeace and every other eco freak hating on us, and we have too much of that already."

Also, if anyone is going to approach any FN group for this "business" opportunity, referring to them as "Tribes" is very disrespectful and not all that welcomed here. Also referring to FN as "wild natives" is not advisable...

And just what is your expertise to determine I know nothing about any coast? I express an opinion you don't like so you resort to personal attacks? I've lived most of my life on the west coast, fishing for salmon for decades, did a biology degree specializing in fisheries at UBC. Worked at the Capilano hatchery. California is just a thread name, an avatar - you do know what that is? Unlike you I do some research before spouting off about something you obviously know nothing about. Maybe Research the market for seal pelts and the dying east coast hunt, and its not a market because a few rednecks on this thread saying they would buy one (I also have a business degree). Maybe research some of the data on smolt survival before mindlessly scapegoating a particular species for the destruction humans have brought forth on the pacific Salmon through a multitude of factors. So yeah, I will keep "trolling" threads dominated by the ignorant simpleminded attitude of "duh...we need to kill all dem seals'. Ignorance is always easier, and more popular!
Sounds like your an academic, we all know how well they do at managing, well, anything.

This thread is starting to go off the rails. Keep it respectful, do not make any racist comments and keep the personal shots out, or it will get shut down.

Last edited:
This thread is starting to go off the rails. Keep it respectful, do not make any racist comments and keep the personal shots out, or it will get shut down.
Yea, fair call. This thread was about trying to find an “outside the box” idea about what we know to be a major contributor to salmon return numbers, ie. Seals eating a reported 50% of smolts.

There are record numbers of seals and the OP has proposed a way in which we can help bring that number down through a free market management plan than benefits all involved.

If that’s “redneck mentality” then call me a Redneck any day.

capt hook you get a standing ovation from me.
Anyone that is willing to put the time and effort into ANY plan to help with the seal problem IMO deserves a pat on the back for their efforts.
Even if ten problem seals are removed from one suffering river mouth it's a win.
If anybody has any other ideas I'm sure we'll all listen.

Jus curious. What would the punishment be if say u shot a seal right in front of coast guard/ fisheries etc. Cuz I don't think I'm the only guy on even this thread that has blasted a few of those. If we're only risking a potential minor fine. Than lets jus blast em. I was told by a friend recently that u can get high powered pellet guns that u actually need ur pal to purchase. Thought right away of the seals. I remember fishing at thrasher last April/may and holy I could of killed 100 of them easy.
SAY WHAT o_O

My expertise was not in a classroom like yours California...
My classroom was being on Commercial Troller since I was old enough to walk.
Born and raised with gumboots on.
We owned many beautiful classic trollers and built them.
From a 150 yr proud commercial fishing family.
Fishing mostly Cape Cook , Winter Harbour , Yankee Bank , Big Bank and Queen Charlottes.
Our family has seen the ups and downs of the industry. And volunteers for many many causes.
We may not have degrees , but we have had boots on deck and eyes on the sea , and KNOW this coast very well.
Having been up and down it thousand times , night and day , winter and summer.
I,m 71 now.
Several of my BEST friends are Indians, First Nation , Aboriginal or what ever you political correct types wanna call them.
And i don,t have allot of best friends.
Call us uneducated ,red neck s.
BUT , what i do know , is , i and my family have forgotten more about this coast than you will ever know.
You have a bad arrogant attitude , and need to shake your head son !!
I will continue , my appeal.

My expertise was not in a classroom like yours California...
My classroom was being on Commercial Troller since I was old enough to walk.
Born and raised with gumboots on.
We owned many beautiful classic trollers and built them.
From a 150 yr proud commercial fishing family.
Fishing mostly Cape Cook , Winter Harbour , Yankee Bank , Big Bank and Queen Charlottes.
Our family has seen the ups and downs of the industry. And volunteers for many many causes.
We may not have degrees , but we have had boots on deck and eyes on the sea , and KNOW this coast very well.
Having been up and down it thousand times , night and day , winter and summer.
I,m 71 now.
Several of my BEST friends are Indians, First Nation , Aboriginal or what ever you political correct types wanna call them.
And i don,t have allot of best friends.
Call us uneducated ,red neck s.
BUT , what i do know , is , i and my family have forgotten more about this coast than you will ever know.
You have a bad arrogant attitude , and need to shake your head son !!
I will continue , my appeal.

now thats a credible resume!!! I salute you sir.....

Roger that, call it like it is...we have a seal predation problem. Fairly obvious one at that, and political correctness is precisely how we got here with everyone turning a blind eye to what was and is happening right in front of them if they spend any time on the water. That's a very impressive resume Capt Hook - good on you for calling the issue out. I'm quite confident that more people and scientists who actually take the time to see and study the problem, the more they will become supportive of taking action. That action can take many forms, and should be very well thought out. I doubt very much that an all out "cull" as some have suggested is the answer either. Probably a well rounded (science based) program.

If we continue to conveniently ignore the predation issue, and focus all our efforts on restricting FN, Commercial and rec fisheries, then we are destined to manage to zero. Avoid addressing the root causes, and we will see DFO manage Chinook into extinction in the same way the Provincial Biologists managed Steelhead into extinction. And we all know that the Province simply ignored the root causes and blindly focused the majority of their attention on finding increasing ways to restrict angling as their holly grail to save steelhead.

Outcomes speak for themselves and self-deception in avoiding the truth came home to roost (although they will see history through a different lens than I). Just a matter of time and avoiding the inconvenient truth. Sign me up as a Red Neck too if that is what speaking the truth is.

You guys want to make a difference for our fishery. I would suggest friending this guy on facebook and bombarding him with fish stuff

"Terry Beech is Minister LeBlanc’s Parliamentary Secretary and his eyes and ears on the west coast."

https://www.facebook.com/terrybeech

Roger that, call it like it is...we have a seal predation problem. Fairly obvious one at that, and political correctness is precisely how we got here with everyone turning a blind eye to what was and is happening right in front of them if they spend any time on the water. That's a very impressive resume Capt Hook - good on you for calling the issue out. I'm quite confident that more people and scientists who actually take the time to see and study the problem, the more they will become supportive of taking action. That action can take many forms, and should be very well thought out. I doubt very much that an all out "cull" as some have suggested is the answer either. Probably a well rounded (science based) program.

If we continue to conveniently ignore the predation issue, and focus all our efforts on restricting FN, Commercial and rec fisheries, then we are destined to manage to zero. Avoid addressing the root causes, and we will see DFO manage Chinook into extinction in the same way the Provincial Biologists managed Steelhead into extinction. And we all know that the Province simply ignored the root causes and blindly focused the majority of their attention on finding increasing ways to restrict angling as their holly grail to save steelhead.

Outcomes speak for themselves and self-deception in avoiding the truth came home to roost (although they will see history through a different lens than I). Just a matter of time and avoiding the inconvenient truth. Sign me up as a Red Neck too if that is what speaking the truth is.

I just LOVE how we now embrace the derogatory labels that Regressives have historically put on us.

Some of the most potent names that one could be called 5-10 years ago mean nothing now.

Back in the protest days....
DFO was Christening the New , state of art Fishery,s vessel the "James Sinclair".
Named after Pierre Trudeaus Fatherinlaw and ex fishery minister. Who my Dad says was a decent guy.
All the big shots were on the forward deck...including Justins Mother Margret , James Sinclairs Daughter.
Along with Fishery Minister Romeo Leblanc.
We , West Coast Fishermen, had had enough of Ottawa and LaBlanc and planned a protest,
Seems hundreds of dozens of eggs were handed out from back of a pick up truck and at the perfect moment,
it RAINED eggs on the fordeck...Romeo was tripping in goo and it it looked good on him.
It backfired and he turned into a worse prick and hated the west coast from that day until he died...
His SON our new Minister has been quoted as saying he is" going to finish the job on the west coast his DADDY started".
We should not be getting political on this forum , as it stirs up sides.
But , i think some of our actions from many yrs ago are still haunting us.
I,m not sure how we can make peace with baby Leblanc?
but if we don,t ...were @#$%^&*#
Maybe i should apologize to Baby LeBlanc? and tell him the story why his daddy did not like us.

Back