MY APPEAL TO Salt Water FISHERMEN .

We all know that the SEAL population has exploded and is in need of a serious cull.
We all know the DFO will NEVER allow it on this coast. (too much politics)
And the problem is growing and is not going to go away.
We know the transient killer whales eat them , but too slowly. So nature is not going to do the job in our life time.
So here,s my idea and i want all to join me to promote it thru social media etc. and get the JOB DONE.
Phone or email or talk to First Nations in your community and ask them to supply you with a tanned Seal Skin. We need First Nations to know there is a market and you are willing to pay for a tanned pelt.
I have bought a few from Newfoundland and they are a fabulous pelt for many uses.
This can bring prosperity and many jobs to thousands of Aboriginal,s if promoted right.
Every Band in BC should have a fishery and quota , the only reason they are not fishing them now is there is no market.
We have to create that market. Talk to your local MP , local DFO office and Officers. Promote it.
If everyone orders one Seal Skin Pelt then we are on our way to a successful CULL. And job creation.
How much is it worth to you to have a sport fishing future?
Instead of fighting First Nations , lets work with them.
They have the power and are the people to do this job and can do this legally. But we have to each buy a pelt.
So , kick this idea around please. And talk to you local Indian Band and ask them to help and put in your order.
This can work !
best idea for a seal cull! I'll take a couple. how about encouraging sea lion steak steamed in black bean sauce!

Besides being a ex commie troller , i worked off season in Film biz 30 yrs.
A few yrs ago we shot a film in the big long house i believe was around Comox....
We saw a ceremony/dance many dont get to see.
It was unbelievable , a couple of the Dancers had on , huge sea lion robes with skulless head still attached.
a awesome gold colour .
There were also several seal skin blankets scattered about.
And i think some of the drums were also seal skins.
So , point is , it is part of their culture , and i don,t think they know outsiders are interested in the pelts/robes/blankets and their ART.
The only ART they are selling is Masks and carvings.
So put your order in boys /girls !
Support/promote the Cull.

Some of our local FN are highly interested/engaged. They have a long cultural history of utilizing seals, so can execute a FSC fishery...or rather, I strongly doubt anyone can stand in their way should they wish to exercise that right.

I'd eat one of those suckers just to make the point. And then refine the marketing by demanding that the locally sourced product is the best tablefare!!

I am hoping all of you that agree this crazy idea has SOME positive spin/potential will toss it around and talk it up , and please phone or text/email /contact your local FN office and approach them with the idea and ask if you can put in a order.
Or if someone on here has good FN contacts can push this along...?

I could see tourists at Granville Island / Gastown etc wanting a pillow or gloves or similar. Its a crazy idea but it just may work!

Wha about a SFBC order. ? Or at least an order organized by its members and friends?
If we could gather enough interest on one single order, then it may carry more weight and be taken seriously by the FN community.
Instead of each of us making an order for a few pelts with our local band, we could collectively order ....A LOT...Negotiate a fair price and who knows, an ongoing partnership may arise.

d

I am hoping all of you that agree this crazy idea has SOME positive spin/potential will toss it around and talk it up , and please phone or text/email /contact your local FN office and approach them with the idea and ask if you can put in a order.
Or if someone on here has good FN contacts can push this along...?
Been there, done that, own the t-shirt

I'm sure FN guys will get all excited about getting $30 per pelt like they do in NFLD. There they harvest only a fraction of the harp seal quota because there is such a small market. Pelts with bullet holes are worthless which is why they club them on ice floes, and they take a tiny proportion of the population of millions of animals. How will that work here, we don't get a lot of sea ice, and harbour seal pups can swim almost immediately. Sea lions pup in California, the population here is mainly male. Despite very little economic value Canada continues to receive negative publicity due to the NFLD hunt, but it isnt exactly a tourist hub so the impact likely isn't much. Start killing seals in supernatural BC and the impact on ecotourism could be significant. If FN liked eating seals they would and would be free to harvest them despite protection, but they don't. The ones in populated areas would be so full of mercury and other toxic substances the amount a person could safely eat would probably be minimal. Seals salmon and whales have coexisted for thousands of years with the exception of the last century. What has changed since then? Ecosytems are complex systems, and simple minded manipulation of one scapegoated species rarely has the desired effect. It was only after wolves were eradicated over much of north America was their importance to overall health of the ecosystem discovered. The simpleminded desire of humans to find something to kill to make up for our destruction of the ecosystem is not new obviously. With threads like this showing a profound ignorance of natural systems and boasting of random illegal killings of protected species, it shouldn't be a surprise that sport fisherman are having our asses handed to us on a platter on fish allocations and SRKW closures.

This is like a vegan date at a steak house

LOL, nearly pee'd my pants. Good one.

In the alternative, I would suggest that those who bury their heads in the sand hoping the impacts of an over-population of seals on out-migrating Chinook smolts will by some miracle go away.... are.... "profoundly ignorant" of the impact that human activity has had on the natural balance....and now that we humans have managed to screw it up, we need to take some action to re-balance the predator/prey relationship. Of course, we could wait until the predator population cleans out all the prey and naturally collapses due to starvation.

I will gladly buy a few pelts for $30/each. And so would a lot of my friends & family.

Especially if they knew that the proceeds were going towards enriching, and reintroducing the traditional, cultural heritage of this particularly under utilized, First Nations Commodity.

What an un-tapped market for our First Nations friends ! Great opportunity for someone out there, I’m sure........

I'm sure FN guys will get all excited about getting $30 per pelt like they do in NFLD. There they harvest only a fraction of the harp seal quota because there is such a small market. Pelts with bullet holes are worthless which is why they club them on ice floes, and they take a tiny proportion of the population of millions of animals. How will that work here, we don't get a lot of sea ice, and harbour seal pups can swim almost immediately. Sea lions pup in California, the population here is mainly male. Despite very little economic value Canada continues to receive negative publicity due to the NFLD hunt, but it isnt exactly a tourist hub so the impact likely isn't much. Start killing seals in supernatural BC and the impact on ecotourism could be significant. If FN liked eating seals they would and would be free to harvest them despite protection, but they don't. The ones in populated areas would be so full of mercury and other toxic substances the amount a person could safely eat would probably be minimal. Seals salmon and whales have coexisted for thousands of years with the exception of the last century. What has changed since then? Ecosytems are complex systems, and simple minded manipulation of one scapegoated species rarely has the desired effect. It was only after wolves were eradicated over much of north America was their importance to overall health of the ecosystem discovered. The simpleminded desire of humans to find something to kill to make up for our destruction of the ecosystem is not new obviously. With threads like this showing a profound ignorance of natural systems and boasting of random illegal killings of protected species, it shouldn't be a surprise that sport fisherman are having our asses handed to us on a platter on fish allocations and SRKW closures.

your right a ,bit, on some of your ultra green thinking , but a Century is a long time in my life....and for now there is a imbalance.....i cant wait a thousand yrs or another century.
but
WE, can thru help of FN do a small needed cull in next few yrs .
However , i respect your opinion.

Back