Moving to Masset on the Queen Charlottes

I am moving up to Masset for two years and hope to get out fishing alot. Anybody on here live up there?? What kind of gear should I be looking at bringing up for halibut and salmon....Any advice would be great....

Thanks,,,

C

Wow...for 2 years?! Hali will be simple...the simpler the better....never mind the jigs and stuff...waste of money. Use salmon carcasses/guts, you won't have a problem!!! Get yourself a Hali Rod..you will need it..... if you want the big ones. However, you can combo troll for Halis as well if you want....like they do WCVI.

For Salmon, the water is always crystal clear....if you want...chovies/herring in teaser heads will work just fine......or cut plug it if you want....365 days a year. You can't go wrong with this!!! It'll be EXPENSIVE up there, so if you get it sent up on the planes, that's fine...you'll have to be quick on the refrigeration...

That said about COST....the best thing to do is...when you need something....get it sent up via mail or take lots up. Load Up!

If tackle is your game....flashers with hoochies---all the usual suspects. Whitish, Greens, Blues, will all work just fine.

You will find that you will catch a lot of fish at times and the flasher is unnecessary with bait and spoons and sport inhibiting...however it will make a difference in production.

All the standard commercial spoons will work just fine......go here....

http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/?cat=2328,2763,2775&SESS=1d2fed7513cea9a0fad2f7cb531fbf53&filter=

With the water being so clear, polished finishes will be just fine...brass etc.

Spoon it up all year round if you want---have a BALL!

PLUGS...get yourself some plugs too...if you're a lazy fisher...and by the time the Cohos come around .....you'll need 'em...with the large spoons. Small Coyotes will catch you Cohos left, right, centre up, down and all around.

I can tell you that a lot of Charlottes lodges use bait exclusively in the summer when the fish are literally everywhere... and they do well. However, if you want to save COST and hook quality fish if you're a troller, gear is your choice. In my opinion tho....save the mooching for when the big fish are around.

In my opinion, learn how to fish gear effectively and you'll do very well. Many of the large lodges are reluctant to stray from the traditional bait fishery...which is fine..but you can do extremely well with gear...and I know a couple of guys who do gear up there exclusively..and outfish anyone at will at any time.

It's not rocket science. Have a ball and get ready to go fishing....there's not a heckuva lot to do in Masset at any time of year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have fun. Watch out for the big tides in the inlet against the wind. Oh yeah, the wind.

Wow...for 2 years?! Hali will be simple...the simpler the better....never mind the jigs and stuff...waste of money. Use salmon carcasses/guts, you won't have a problem!!! Get yourself a Hali Rod..you will need it..... if you want the big ones. However, you can combo troll for Halis as well if you want....like they do WCVI.

For Salmon, the water is always crystal clear....if you want...chovies/herring in teaser heads will work just fine......or cut plug it if you want....365 days a year. You can't go wrong with this!!! It'll be EXPENSIVE up there, so if you get it sent up on the planes, that's fine...you'll have to be quick on the refrigeration...

That said about COST....the best thing to do is...when you need something....get it sent up via mail or take lots up. Load Up!

If tackle is your game....flashers with hoochies---all the usual suspects. Whitish, Greens, Blues, will all work just fine.

You will find that you will catch a lot of fish at times and the flasher is unnecessary with bait and spoons and sport inhibiting...however it will make a difference in production.

All the standard commercial spoons will work just fine......go here....

http://www.pacificnetandtwine.com/?cat=2328,2763,2775&SESS=1d2fed7513cea9a0fad2f7cb531fbf53&filter=

With the water being so clear, polished finishes will be just fine...brass etc.

Spoon it up all year round if you want---have a BALL!

PLUGS...get yourself some plugs too...if you're a lazy fisher...and by the time the Cohos come around .....you'll need 'em...with the large spoons. Small Coyotes will catch you Cohos left, right, centre up, down and all around.

I can tell you that a lot of Charlottes lodges use bait exclusively in the summer when the fish are literally everywhere... and they do well. However, if you want to save COST and hook quality fish if you're a troller, gear is your choice. In my opinion tho....save the mooching for when the big fish are around.

It's not rocket science. Have a ball and get ready to go fishing....there's not a heckuva lot to do in Masset at any time of year.

Big Daddy's. LOL

Hi There,
I just moved to Masset this summer. This place is a bit different; don't expect anything to happen quickly.
There are some places to buy tackle up here, none with a huge selection though, so I would recommend bringing what you like to use with you. Prices are a bit high too.
If the ferry doesn't run (seems to happen a lot), the grocery store empties out really quickly (shopping on Sunday is just about a waste of time right now, anyway), mail doesn't get through, and I've been told stories of the gas station running out of fuel, but haven't experienced that one myself.
There have been some really wild wind storms up here in the past couple of weeks, and be prepared for a lot of rain!
Even with all this, I like it up here.
PM me if you need any more information.

Back