Looking to learn

Jamesonm

Hi everyone

I'm looking for someone who wants to teach an adventure minded late 30s fella how to fish on the ocean. I recently discovered my boat isn't sea worthy and am more than happy to chip in on gas money etc. I have some of my own gear.

I love fishing and hunting and have gone on two salmon charters out of Sooke with Tory.

Anyone interested in teaching a keener?

Currently saving up for my own boat and don't have much experience on saltwater. Grew up on lake boats in the Okanagan.

Thanks
J

Last edited:
The other part that might be helpful to narrow is: what aspects of fishing in the ocean would you like to learn?

It’s a big ocean out there. For instance, I guide my summers in Haida Gwaii; there are parts I do great, sometimes I even have moments of brilliancies, but there are many species/techniques that if you asked me about you might have me shrugging and I could only begin to verbally explain the clues of what approach we would take.

Last edited:
Ya, it went downhill quickly. But post your location, I'm just learning my boat now and always learning fishing.

Southern Vancouver Island! Sorry I don't know why I missed that in my initial post.

Just looking to get out on the water and put some lines in the water. Learning about tides and how to safely navigate the ocean without getting into trouble.

Southern Vancouver Island! Sorry I don't know why I missed that in my initial post.

Just looking to get out on the water and put some lines in the water. Learning about tides and how to safely navigate the ocean without getting into trouble.
I'm also a BC interior boy that grew up on freshwater. Headed into my second season of owning a saltwater boat (17' Arima Sea Ranger). Truth be told I spent the majority of last season working on the boat, and didn't really splash it until August or so. But I put as many days in as I could between August and September, and last September was especially nice from what I understand. The heavy rains held off and the fishing was good into late September up here in Nanaimo. I learned to launch and retrieve by myself, and went out solo a few times. The last time I managed to run two riggers and navigate the boat, and even landed a double header of wild coho (released) by myself. Course, I also whacked the prop good on floating debris on the way in, which put an end to my season - but was probably going to be the last day anyway.

I was intimidated of the salt for a long time, and I still am - but at some point you just have to get into it. I have been sticking to inshore stuff - off Nanaimo and one trip to Alberni Inlet. This season we have plans to tow up to Port McNeill and fish back side of Malcolm - maybe explore the Broughtons if the weather cooperates. In August we will be in Esperenza, mostly fishing the inside probably. And I may book some time at Pacific Playgrounds too. I have done a week in a rental boat at Nootka the last two seasons, and never felt the least bit unsafe.

I am naturally risk adverse, and won't be headed offshore anytime soon. I have aspirations to get to Winter Harbour - but don't think my seamanship is ready yet. Maybe next year. I've yet to get seasick, but I know my day is coming.

If you don't have your PCOC make sure you do that, and do all the online power squadron stuff to learn the rules and the basics of navigation, weather, and marine electronics. It costs a few bucks but worth it to get a good grounding. I am still looking for some reasonably priced on the water courses, and would gladly plunk down some cash to learn from someone experienced in the real world, as opposed to online or in a classroom.

I'm would be open to taking out somebody that is chill and respectful for the day in my boat out of Nanaimo this season, and also open to paying gas and crewing on someone else's boat to accelerate my own learning curve.

I highly recommend the pacific angler fishing course, if they still offer it. It was eye opening, surrounded by 16 dudes who are all fish addicted, learned a lot. One class room day and one day on the water. The day on the water we left Vancouver and fished the trench in Nanaimo. He put on a show.

I highly recommend the pacific angler fishing course, if they still offer it. It was eye opening, surrounded by 16 dudes who are all fish addicted, learned a lot. One class room day and one day on the water. The day on the water we left Vancouver and fished the trench in Nanaimo. He put on a show.

Not sure they still offer that one?

I'm also a BC interior boy that grew up on freshwater. Headed into my second season of owning a saltwater boat (17' Arima Sea Ranger). Truth be told I spent the majority of last season working on the boat, and didn't really splash it until August or so. But I put as many days in as I could between August and September, and last September was especially nice from what I understand. The heavy rains held off and the fishing was good into late September up here in Nanaimo. I learned to launch and retrieve by myself, and went out solo a few times. The last time I managed to run two riggers and navigate the boat, and even landed a double header of wild coho (released) by myself. Course, I also whacked the prop good on floating debris on the way in, which put an end to my season - but was probably going to be the last day anyway.

I was intimidated of the salt for a long time, and I still am - but at some point you just have to get into it. I have been sticking to inshore stuff - off Nanaimo and one trip to Alberni Inlet. This season we have plans to tow up to Port McNeill and fish back side of Malcolm - maybe explore the Broughtons if the weather cooperates. In August we will be in Esperenza, mostly fishing the inside probably. And I may book some time at Pacific Playgrounds too. I have done a week in a rental boat at Nootka the last two seasons, and never felt the least bit unsafe.

I am naturally risk adverse, and won't be headed offshore anytime soon. I have aspirations to get to Winter Harbour - but don't think my seamanship is ready yet. Maybe next year. I've yet to get seasick, but I know my day is coming.

If you don't have your PCOC make sure you do that, and do all the online power squadron stuff to learn the rules and the basics of navigation, weather, and marine electronics. It costs a few bucks but worth it to get a good grounding. I am still looking for some reasonably priced on the water courses, and would gladly plunk down some cash to learn from someone experienced in the real world, as opposed to online or in a classroom.

I'm would be open to taking out somebody that is chill and respectful for the day in my boat out of Nanaimo this season, and also open to paying gas and crewing on someone else's boat to accelerate my own learning curve.
This is great info thanks!

I have my PCOC but to be totally honest I flipped thru it rather quickly and if you don't use it you lose it.

I work for the province's emergency management program in a technical capacity so no stranger to hazards etc. I've worked on a farm and in the oilfield so I like to think I'm mechanically inclined.

I love tinkering and wrenching in my small shop and am very open to helping someone out performing upgrades and maintenance. Let me know if anyone in Vic needs some company.

Back