Can I see your PropHalo install??

TelStar26

Went to install a prop halo and came across an issue. I think... Here for opinions.

So I aligned the halo "ring" in line with the tips of the prop blades. (My thought was either there, or ahead of the prop by a bit. In my head, this would give the best angles for the line to be held off away from the prop) -thoughts here guys?

Right before I went to drill the holes in the leg I realized the two back (stern) bolts would be going into the zinc on the bottom side of the leg. Thank god I caught that one...

But moving the unit back, enough for those two bolts to clear the zinc, moved the ring behind/back from the centre of the blade tips. looks like an inch or more.
This just doesn't seem right to me.

Ive attached four pics, two where I thought it should go, But was going to interfere with the zinc, and two of where it would have to sit to clear the zinc.

Am I crazy? should this ring be inline with the blade tips or ahead ideally, not behind them?

Hoping I can see some shots of other peoples to get an idea of the front to back alignment....image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpeg

I have fished for over 60 years in a variety of boats big and small. Never had a prop guard and have never had as issue with fishing line or downrigger line fouling in my prop.
Is there another reason that I am unaware of that makes you feel you need a prop guard?

Went to install a prop halo and came across an issue. I think... Here for opinions.

So I aligned the halo "ring" in line with the tips of the prop blades. (My thought was either there, or ahead of the prop by a bit. In my head, this would give the best angles for the line to be held off away from the prop) -thoughts here guys?

Right before I went to drill the holes in the leg I realized the two back (stern) bolts would be going into the zinc on the bottom side of the leg. Thank god I caught that one...

But moving the unit back, enough for those two bolts to clear the zinc, moved the ring behind/back from the centre of the blade tips. looks like an inch or more.
This just doesn't seem right to me.

Ive attached four pics, two where I thought it should go, But was going to interfere with the zinc, and two of where it would have to sit to clear the zinc.

Am I crazy? should this ring be inline with the blade tips or ahead ideally, not behind them?

Hoping I can see some shots of other peoples to get an idea of the front to back alignment....View attachment 93986View attachment 93987View attachment 93988View attachment 93989
Drill your own hole in the Halo bracket just out side the zinc but still wide enough to support the Halo

I have fished for over 60 years in a variety of boats big and small. Never had a prop guard and have never had as issue with fishing line or downrigger line fouling in my prop.
Is there another reason that I am unaware of that makes you feel you need a prop guard?
Downrigger and kicker placement, boat width, turning radius, depth of line, current, weight of cannonball, A million things can contribute to this. It does happen…

Not a helpful comment for anyone.
We’re all here to learn. But not about you. :)

Drill your own hole in the Halo bracket just out side the zinc but still wide enough to support the Halo
Yup, looked at doing that, but the bracket doesn’t extend long enough. Makes me wonder if the Halo Ring was labeled incorrectly, or poorly designed for this motor…

The focus of the post was leaned towards seeing if guys agreed that this style of prop guard should be inline or ahead of the prop. Not behind it.

Downrigger and kicker placement, boat width, turning radius, depth of line, current, weight of cannonball, A million things can contribute to this. It does happen…

Not a helpful comment for anyone.
We’re all here to learn. But not about you. :)
Sorry to offend you!
My point is, based on my experience, do you really need a Prop Guard.
Just trying to help those who are considering if they do or do not need a prop guard.

Poor pics of the prop to ring placement but I did align mine. To be honest I cant see it being that big of deal though. How close can you get it and still have decent meat for the bolt hole. Can you maybe slide it back some and the spread the Halo open to have the bolt holes clear the zinc. Find yourself a happy medium someplace in there.

Attachments

• IMG_0950.jpeg
    IMG_0950.jpeg
    251.1 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0949.jpeg
    IMG_0949.jpeg
    232.8 KB · Views: 55
Sorry to offend you!
My point is, based on my experience, do you really need a Prop Guard.
Just trying to help those who are considering if they do or do not need a prop guard.
I actually removed the larger flat prop guard on my last boat when I first bought it but then cut my downrigger line in a turn with a heavy tide change. Installed a new one on my latest kicker as a lesson learned.

Never ran one for years and cant say as I ever lost a line to the prop until I started back trolling and jigging over Ling holes. The wind can toss you around quick if your not on top of your lines you can have issues in a hurry. Besides adds a little bling Lol.

Poor pics of the prop to ring placement but I did align mine. To be honest I cant see it being that big of deal though. How close can you get it and still have decent meat for the bolt hole. Can you maybe slide it back some and the spread the Halo open to have the bolt holes clear the zinc. Find yourself a happy medium someplace in there.
The closest I can get it is shown in the second two pics. Yes I could probably do as you suggested, But I like things just right, Specially on a bran new outboard, drilling holes into it, it'll prolly be on there for the next 10 years of me owning it, I just don't really want to compromise. I want it right.

After seeing a few examples here (thanks guys) im confident now the halo ring I have was either labeled incorrectly, or poorly designed for this motor. Im going to take it back to sherwood and compare it to another one on the shelf to see. Ive also emailed the company, waiting on a reply.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Hi - did you end up taking that Prop Halo back to sherwood, or do you still have it?

Thanks.
I did go back and talk to Joanne, she double checked the part number and confirmed I had the right one. Also got ahold of the company who makes them and they told me they've sold a few hundreds without issues. I ended up taking it to my buddy's fab shop and he welded a couple inch extension on each side, sanded and polished it, looks factory now, doesn't bolt through a zinc, and the ring is actually inline with the prop now. Ill see if I can attach pics of the finished product here:

IMG_5407.jpegIMG_5404.jpegIMG_5405.jpegIMG_5403.jpeg

Polished, final install:

IMG_5534.jpeg

Does anyone know definitively where the manufacturers stand warranty wise on these? I mean obviously if installed correctly it should make zero difference to motor performance and be impossible to have any adverse effects - but I can't imagine many other products you could drill holes through and expect manufacturer warranty to be honoured. I want to put one on my Merc 9.9 that is still under warranty.

Does anyone know definitively where the manufacturers stand warranty wise on these? I mean obviously if installed correctly it should make zero difference to motor performance and be impossible to have any adverse effects - but I can't imagine many other products you could drill holes through and expect manufacturer warranty to be honoured. I want to put one on my Merc 9.9 that is still under warranty.
Mine was installed by the company that sold me the motor and reps several outboard motor manufacturers. They seem to install Halo's on many the kickers they sell. Not sure, but if a factory approved dealer installs them I doubt theres any warranty issue. Just my view.

I bought a lease return engine from Bridgeview that still had factory warranty on it. When they swapped the engines over, he offered to install my Hydrofoil from the old engine for me, knowing that there was warranty on the newer engine still. So there’s that to consider.

Back