Minister Jordan announces long-term commercial closures and Licence Retirement Program in effort to save Pacific Salmon

What a joke this government is."Permanently removing fishing effort will support the economic viability of the fishery in the long
term"

One day I would like the government to actually deal with the problem with pro-active approach not reactive one. When I read that sounds like government is just giving up.
This government is a pure joke. Not because of DFO’s shenanigans but overall for all the opportunity losses that they’ve caused to date. No political party should be feeling safe to remain in power for more than 8 years unless there’s clear and strong will on the voters side. Who gave this minority government the power to make such drastic decisions before explaining the impacts to the affected parties and taxpayers? This group is just feeling too safe and that’s mainly because of the weak opposition. Just makes my blood boil.

Last edited:
I believe it would be naïve to think these closures will just be for commercials.
The writing has been on the wall for us since 2015. This is just the first step of justifying a mass resource allocation. Call me a conspiracy theorist but I don’t see the resource conservation in the core of this move and it’s not going to just stop here. I’m now seriously considering an exit from the sport that I love.

Tough deal. I already have a pile of long rods that I built just for the Thompson.....I don't like where this is all headed. We should be able to have a viable commercial troll, rec fishery and first nations fisherys if DFO and this government wasn't so upside down. I've always wanted to fish SE Alaska....

I’m willing to bet if the fishery is closed as proposed, the government will negotiate with the FN and provide them with more access to “their salmon” and slowly take the few remaining opportunities from the commies and sporties. In my experience, there is no way the FN will accept a reduction as they always get what they want or turn to the media. If they reduce our pathetic sporty allotment any further, or impose more restrictions, my fishing partners may revolt and fish anyways!

Public fishery will be next. I suspect the control of Fisheries will be passed to First Nations, so hopefully they will see fit to allow the Public to buy a license from them. wonder will the government compensate Lodges if this happens?

I am always surprised when sporties align themselves with the commies. That being said from what I have read at least they acknowledged that more sustainable fishing methods need to be used. The banning of gill nets etc...would be a good thing for species at risk such as IFS. At the end of the day residential anglers should be building bridges with FN and working together to help protect the runs. (this is already happening in some instances).

Is it possible that by eliminating the gillnetting from the commercial fleet they could now turn to the FN and ask them to find different catching methods?

The lower Fraser bands have been very upfront that they'd only be open to "consultation" around a selective fishing method if and only if all other sectors stop touching "their fish". So, no I don't think this is DFO's intention here.

Tough deal. I already have a pile of long rods that I built just for the Thompson.....I don't like where this is all headed. We should be able to have a viable commercial troll, rec fishery and first nations fisherys if DFO and this government wasn't so upside down. I've always wanted to fish SE Alaska....
I am in SE Alaska as I type. They are having big concerns over stocks as well. Difference is Alaska supports fisheries where BC and Canada do not. Interesting when talking to a buyer here they mention that 4-6% of the troll caught coho have gillnet marks. That can only happen on the high seas.

Sounds like the 600 million fund will be used to pay any commercial lisence buyback leaving even less for conservation.

i doubt they will buy back a single licence, DFO will want to pay market value for them and there will be no market value, the commercial guys will dig in there heels and ask for not just licence value, but will want their boat, gear, and the last 20 years worth of investment paid for it and nothing will happen.

or dfo will tell the public they are doing buy backs but then we find out in a year that not a single one has been done or even offered. all smoke and mirriors and BS. nothings different this is the same liberal government that has governed this country for the last 100 years.

Is it possible that by eliminating the gillnetting from the commercial fleet they could now turn to the FN and ask them to find different catching methods?
All Gill-netting and other non-selective fisheries needs to stop. My hope by creating a sustainable FN fishery meaning no gill-nets. It is clear that the commercial era is ending and that future commercial fisheries will be conducted by FN. Now it is easy to be cynical, but I believe in order for recreational fisheries to exist in the future we must build common ground with FN. They have a vested interest in preventing extinction and so do we.

Let’s not forget folks, this plan being proposed by DFO is the same Organization that has managed this fishery to the point we’re in now. So suddenly now they have the solution? I wonder why they’ve waited decades to save the fishery if they’ve had the answer? Guess they were waiting for a crisis? Where’s John Horgan now? Awfully quiet, oh right, he’s got his majority and JT is desperately trying to orchestrate an election to get his covid paid for majority! We just don’t matter folks. We’re a fart in the wind. Especially when our votes are counted after the election in Ottawa has already been declared!
I suspect dfo is going to be more surgical with their approach to Chinook retention. Not all areas will close. Many will, but then you’ll see spot openings here and there. It’s the easiest way to keep a disgruntled segment of society in line and behaving themselves. Areas with hatcheries and pen programs are likely to see some retention opportunities but the glory days are gone. This industry needed billions and not just once, annually for a decade. That brings us back to a decent level. Why are the Liberals bent on closure versus investment? Because closure is the cheapest form of enforcement. Remember folks Washington States Fish and Wildfire budget is almost $30 Billion a year. Canada’s is $3 billion. I for one, am not doing cartwheels because of a slush fund payment of $641 Million to hire a bunch of new voters buy trucks new boats and a ton of perks for the Organization that has lead us here. DFO is a dinosaur and they aren’t the answer, they never have been.

Back